“love the pasta bar”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 6th Street
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Have gone here for lunch and dinner, overall good visit but was disappointed that on Valentines Day eve they only had one guy running the pasta bar the majority of the time. During the day for lunch they usually have 2 so was very surprised only one for dinner when the cost is higher? Ordered dessert chocolate lava cake, their dessert chef not too bright. It came as if right out of the fridge and with whip cream on top. Inside was like fudge pudding, no lava there. Waitress nice though, I had only taken the one bite so she took it off bill. Live music was nice.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We went here after the Beer Dabbler on 1/26. So, this review should probably be taken with a grain of salt because we may not have been in the best position to judge anything.

We arrived around 7:30 pm without a reservation. We were told we would have to wait 45 minutes, but were seated almost immediately after receiving our glasses of wine at the bar. I thought our server was very nice and patient with us. If she noticed the level of intoxication I was experiencing after sampling beer all afternoon, she pretended not to notice and treated us warmly. We order some kind of dip appetizer - it was okay but nothing special really. My meal, however, was pretty tasty. I ordered the parmesan walleye and it was fantastic. The risotto was good enough but not perfect. My husband ordered the rib eye and ranted about how great it was. My friend had some kind of shrimp dish and said it was very "pedestrian."

I do have one complaint that has nothing to do with service or the food. Their restroom is located outside the restaurant on a different level within the building. When I finally found it, you had to have a code to get in, so I had to go all the way back to the hostess stand to get it. That was really annoying since my food had arrived in the meantime - it wasn't as warm as it was when it arrived (presumably) and my husband helped himself to half of it.

Overall, I thought the place was good. There aren't a ton of options in downtown St. Paul, so I'm glad it's there and I plan to return on a better-suited night.

2  Thank Trista J
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We hadn't been here for a couple of years, but "lowertown" St Paul has become more upscale and appealing in the past year or two so decided to try try it again. The atmosphere is still very charming but the food was only so -so. The artichoke dip was only lukewarm to cold and the salad was almost all lettuce. My husband was satisfied with the chicken parmagianno though.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The service, ambiance & food are always delightful here. My only suggestion is that they offer small plates of pasta and risotto. It would be nice to add a side dish, but when your dinner fills a serving platter, then that's it.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife and I ate at Trattoria Da Vinci on December 15 for dinner. We were about 15 minutes early for our reservation, but were given a table immediately by a window. On this Saturday night they had a musician playing a guitar off in one corner accompanied by some background music. It was the perfect volume--not so loud as we could not talk, but loud enough that we could hear it and hum along with the tune.

We each ordered a couple of tap beers for drinks, and shared our meal. We got a meatball appetizer which was quite good. I had a caesar salad, and my wife had tossed salad. We then shared the chicken parmesan. The chicken was quite good, the pasta and sauce was average for an italian place. Our waitress was kind enough to wave the usual $5 plate fee for splitting our entree. Because of this, as well as her friendly demeanor, we added to our tip.

Our dinner was a pleasant experience. The only thing slightly negative was that it seemed to take a bit too long to receive each portion of our meal, as we sat with no food for small lengths of time.

In the end I think our bill ended up being around $60-65.

1  Thank TriggerMN