“Very disappointing...”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

When a GroupOn recently was offered for 128 Cafe I was excited, as we had eaten there years ago and quite enjoyed it. I'm not sure what happened... but the experience this time around was very disappointing..and I doubt we will ever go back. Change of ownership? Chef? something must have changed!
The service was fine, but the food was really not up to standard for the prices paid.
-We selected an asparagus appetizer, thinking this would be a great choice as it it currently in season in MN. We thought wrong...very mediocre and served room temp.
- I love beet salads and order them often. I expect to get beets. This salad, however had just a few matchstick sized beet slivers and was heavy on the chickpeas (not exactly a tough ingredient to add) and greens. Even that wouldn't have been so bad, except that the entire concoction was SWIMMING in dressing. I couldn't eat it. I usually try to remember to order dressing on the side -- very regrettably, I forgot this time. Big, big mistake.
-The BBQ ribs are suppose to be a specialty. I ordered a half rack, and these were pretty good. However, the rest of the plating was really lackluster. They were accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes that looked like they were served up with an ice cream scoop. They did not make in quality for what was a very small quantity (one small, rounded scoop). These were barely warm. They just sat there on the side of the plate looking loney. The steamed green beans and broccoli hardly qualified as "seasonal' vegetables.
- My husband had a fetuccini dish that was OK, but, again, nothing special at all.
- We hightailed it outta there to get coffee and dessert somewhere else...
I usually err on the side of writing reviews for places that we like and deliver a good experience.
In this case, however, because of how truly mediocre the food was - I would not want others to go through the same experience. There are way too many other great places to dine in the Twin Cities -- save your $ and some frustration and go elsewhere.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Awesome! Food was great! All courses top notch! We were a party of 4 and didn't break the bank! I have to go back here the next time I am in MSP!!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have been coming here occasionally for years (I live out of state). i never liked ribs before I had them here. I thought they were too fatty and messy. I have been telling my cousins about their ribs for years. We are all foodies and very picky. I told the girls that if they legitimately rated the ribs below an 8, dessert was on me. They love freebies! I let the staff know of the pressure on them...the chef delivered. One of the girls rated the ribs a 9.5, and the other two decided that we should just get 2 desserts and pay for them equally. The rib bones were all pristinely cleaned. The meat tender was tender, not fatty, and the sauce has the right amount of spice. I travel extensively, and usually don't write reviews, but decided Cafe 128 finally deserved one. Cute retro atmosphere in local St. Pail neighborhood. Give it a try!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The food is great. The shrimp taquitos were amazing. I ordered the blackened sesame salmon. It was cooked perfectly and the seasoning was delicious. My husband and or friend ordered the ribs. I didn't have them but he said that they were just ok. Overall a great restaurant in a unique location.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I bought a Groupon here but would go back without! Brought my parents here, more a intimate date type place although there was a large family with young kids next to us! Very small, make a reservation. ORDER THE RIBS. Yes, they are expensive, but they fall off the bone! So delicious! Also ordered each of the salads, all were great! The fish of the day was another amazing dish. Expensive, but worth it! The waitress was great! They refilled my water glass every time it was empty, which was a lot! Wow! Highly recommend! Probably more for a date night or special occasion.