“Be aware: cafeteria style”
Review of Cafe Latte

Cafe Latte
Ranked #1 of 26 Coffee & Tea in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Be aware: cafeteria style”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

As first-time visitors unfamiliar with the restaurant, we were a bit confused about the way things were organized. It was very busy during the lunch hour we were there, and it was a quick-moving cafeteria-style line, so we made quick decisions at the salad station. Sadly, we ended up missing the bakery items that are located in a separate area. Now that we've read other reviews, next time we'll be sure to wander to the back and nab a dessert. We enjoyed our salads, but we'd have preferred a quieter atmosphere. That said, we still will go back the next time we're in St. Paul.

• Visited April 2014

East Granby, Connecticut
“Versatile, reasonably priced, good food”
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Great place to have a reunion with friends whom you haven't seen. The very wide selection accommodates a range of palates, including picky eaters. Cafeteria style food also allows you to manage a budget.

Food is fresh. One can mix and match. One can eat light or heavy (including pastries).

For gatherings come early if you are planning a dinner, so you can assure yourself of a table. It's easier to hold a conversation by the taller bistro tables.

Minnesota
“Great cake!”
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

My wife had their chocolate cake. We were with friends and went just for dessert. My wife loves dessert, I can take it or leave it. Let me tell you, this place is worth the stop! Chocolate cake was my wife's favorite ever, any place......wow. I had the carrot cake....wow good! Worth your time to stop.

Visited September 2013
Laurel, MS
“Fresh. Not what I'd consider #1 in St. Paul, though...”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I pride myself on trying as many of the top recommendations here on Trip Advisor while visiting a city, even if I don't post followup review many times. I don't want to be the one poster on this site that goes against the tide, but I just returned to my downtown, St. Paul hotel from a $9 one-way taxi ride ($22 round trip with tip for 3 of us) out to Grand Avenue to try Café Latte. While the offerings were certainly fresh and the bakery exceptionally yummy, I don't know that I would encourage others to make the trip. It was delightful to get out of the city, though, and see some of the suburbs.

I would highly recommend if you go to spend the time to walk the perimeter of all of the cafe's offerings from its crostini bar in the back to the bakery on the side and the deli along the front. I ordered a truffle pate sandwich on their pana de casa sour dough a bit too quickly before I realized I could order a trio of spreads and an accompanying baguette to taste more possibilities. You can do the same with their salads. I enjoyed their Indian Rice and Peanut Salad along with a cup of Mexican Lime Chicken Soup, too. The salad's texture had many surprise textures from the snow peas to the kale. The chicken soup had an abundance of potato against a backdrop of flavorful liquid. It was my favorite of my three picks. If you can't make up your mind, ask for a tasting. I figured this out by the time I was at the third station. If you can't find a seat downstairs or in the bakery, additional seating is upstairs. What sets this place a part, in my opinion, is the fresh goods in the bakery. Their Chocolate Turtle Cake was so moist and fresh it melted in my mouth. My husband's Caramel & Sea Salt Cheesecake was a winner. If we had more room, we would have gone for the Tres Leches cakes. The bread is baked on the premises. You can tell it is a local favorite by the number of patrons who come in to pick up pre-ordered cakes.

The servers behind the counter were friendly and very accommodating. I appreciated the fact that they realized that a large group of kids were holding up the line and went out of their way to help patrons who knew their order and were waiting patiently in the wings. That's proactive customer service from engaged employees who must enjoy their work.

• Visited June 2014
Bilbao, Pais Vasco, Spain
“Must get cake!”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My first stop when I return to Minnesota! Trying a piece of cake is a necessity, you can't go wrong with any! My favorites are the tres leche and chocolate chocolate.

• Visited May 2014