“I'll be back!”

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My daughter who lives in MN LOVES this place; she even had their cakes at her wedding, so we stopped by for desserts. I tried a bite of her Tres Leches cake that was OH SO GOOD that I'd wished I'd ordered it. I ordered the German Chocolate cake since I'm a chocaholic and it was divine. My husband's Turtle cake was also yummy. I had a bite of the cheesecake that was also good but I prefer a graham crust.

The other food looked good too so I want to stop back here next time I'm in town.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Cafe Latte is a venerable St. Paul institution that my wife and I first started dining at in the early 1980's. Be forewarned about long lines and then hunting for a table - but a visit on a Saturday afternoon in May reminded us that it is well worth it. Between us we had a bowl of the creamy gouda soup and a plate of two salads - one broccoli based and the other a seasame veggie. All three items were outstanding. The soup had a light gouda taste and chuncks of red potato and slices of carrot and onion - absolutely healthy and delicious. The salads were both lightly dressed and very tasty. Sourdough bread was hearty and fresh.

For dessert we had german chocolate cake and a lemon tart. The serving of cake was so large we should have just shared that - it was outstanding. The lemon tart was good. Coffee beverages had once been outstanding at Cafe Latte - but cappuccino on the day we were there was only average.

All staff at Cafe Latte, from servers on the cafeteria line to the cashier to those clearing tables, were extremely helpful and friendly. If you are luck you will find one of the tables on the second floor overlooking Victoria and Grand, which is lively with pedesterians and shops.

Street parking is a challenge and typically involves finding a spot on Summit Avenue, often a few blocks away. But for a few bucks there is a convienent parking ramp across the street.

Our visits to Cafe Latte had been relatively few in the last decade, primarily because of the long line and when we have come with a larger family group the challenge of finding seating together seemed too much to deal with. But this visit reminded us that the outstanding food, coupled with the friendly staff, make Cafe Latte worth a little work.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This cafeteria style cafe has great food, but even more delicious desserts. I don't get here often but have never been disappointed in anything I have eaten here. Way above average food which is reasonably priced.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We go here often and are never disappointed- from the display of different cakes, tarts, tortes, cupcakes, cheesecakes, cookies and flourless cakes at the front door, walking through and picking a delicious salad, sandwich, soup, spread, pizza and beverage is always a delightful experience. You are offered a sample of soup or salad if it's a tough decision and you will ALWAYS have a smiling face there to greet you- this place does it right.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The one thing that's awkward to get here is a cafe latte. It's a cafeteria-style food service of scrumptious pastries (strategically located first), salads, soups and sandwiches. The espresso machine is on the back wall and when you ask for one, you get a paper with something written on it, then you pay for that along with whatever else you got and then hang around the cashier waiting for the drink to show up.

Maybe they should change the name, because the food is superb. All very fresh and tasty at a very fair price. The clam chowder had lots of real clams, not the usual cheat, using some clam juice and lots of potatoes in a cream soup. You could even taste a little grit, so you knew they were real clams. And everything looks clean.

We visited 3 or 4 times, at various times of the day during our almost 2 weeks in the area. Every time there were plenty of people. The good folks of St. Paul obviously know a good thing when they see one.