“What a great pizza!!!”

Add it.
Checkerboard Pizza
Ranked #498 of 911 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I can't believe I have lived in this community for 20+ years, and I not ordered from here before. But now I have and I think they have some of the best pizza around.

1  Thank Matthew H

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This place is my first choice when it comes to pizza and sub sandwiches, even though it's out of the way for me. I simply cannot find similar grade pizza/subs anywhere else, they simply blow the competition out of the water IMO. It's a family-run restaurant, very relaxed/low-key and prices are fair, they do have specials and coupons so look for those if you want to save a little bit of $.

I always get the pepperoni pizza and oh my god, the cheese is SO GOOEY when fresh out of the oven! I don't want to burn my mouth, but I can't help it--it's that good! The ingredients are high in quality and the sauce has a little bit of a kick to it. The sub sandwiches come with an array of choices in meats/veggies/condiments and you can choose to have it cold or hot (choose hot though, you won't regret it). The subs are simply a SIN--just deliciously SICK and juicy, and I can't help but order it when I visit (it's for my bf, seriously, I just get a bite.. or two.. or three..). They serve their subs on fresh italian bread with a special herbed butter spread of some sort. My personal choice is roast beef/turkey/ham with everything (lettuce, onions, green bell pepper, black olives, mayo, oil), made hot in the same giant oven that they cook their pizzas in. Everything is best consumed right away while hot and fresh, don't wait and don't save leftovers for later. Save the guilt for your next life or go do an hour of cardio everyday for the next 5 days if you must. It just doesn't taste the same once you've let it sit for a few hours.

I love the way they cut their pizza in little squares, it makes me feel like I'm not inhaling as much food (side note, I'm fit and healthy), though I'm sure if you prefer the traditional pie-cut, they can easily accommodate. This restaurant gets super busy from lunch, all the way until close, especially on weekends (a great sign), but I haven't seen this affecting their service/food much if at all, surprisingly. They have 4 booths for seating and two medium (2-4 people) tables that can be moved to form one big table. They also serve pasta dishes as well. If you dine-in, Gong is the name of our favorite server/front-of-the-house person (though everyone else is nice too), she really make sure we're happy and have everything we need. Very happy with this place!

PS. They now make DONUTS!!! :O~ (goodbye diet)

1  Thank seidetsukai
Reviewed July 7, 2011

who knew MN had such good pizza. this little pizza shop is located on Snelling and Sherburne - 1 block from University Ave. They're pizza is really good but I especially am in love with their Hot Hoagies! Was staying over in Best Western and became addicted. Next time I am in town, I am sure ordering more!

1  Thank TKincaid5954
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 13, 2008

these asians make great pizza

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook