“authentic italian”
Review of Louis

Louis
Reserve with OpenTable
Louis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 934 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went to Louis at the back end of a long trip to the Badlands , so we needed a great meal, and relaxing event. This was it. Starting with our waitress, Allison, to the atmosphere, to the food, we were impressed. The food was outstanding, as reported by everyone in our party. a great time was had by all

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

The worst restaurant experience I have ever had! They messed up my prom groups reservation. A waitress spilt coke all over my prom dress, within the next half hour a waiter spilt olive oil on the other side of my dress. Nobody including the manager cared. At a table near by 2 others were spilt on as well. Once I got my food the noodles were over cooked, but aren't they known for Italian food? I'm never going there ever again!!!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The food is excellent. An excellent place to celebrate something. It was a bit noisy for us. Music was loud.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Louis is the more formal dining area and rooftop bar on the 3rd floor of the Cossetta's complex in St. Paul, taking advantage of beautiful views of the mansion-liked bluffs and magnificent cathedral above downtown St. Paul. The whole of Cossetta's is literally like stepping into Italy. It was a longstanding trattoria in downtown St. Paul that recently underwent a significant upgrade about 2 years ago, adding an amazing pasticceria (dessert shop), a very nice Italian supermarket, and Louis. While there are places that rival Cossetta's in the larger Italian communities of Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc., it is very much one-of-a-kind for Minnesota and a worthy destination for visitors and locals alike.

Louis is very well appointed. The craftsmanship and attention to detail with the decor is amazing. It has a very classy, early 1900's-inspired look, with lots of woodwork and milk glass lights. Keep in mind, though, this is St. Paul--I don't think there is any such thing as "formal" dining here. Formal, elegant diners can be seen aside guys in Wild jerseys; anything goes. Dining is very comfortable, albeit loud on the weekends as it is a very busy restaurant and hopping bar (though, nothing like the insanity downstairs at Cossetta's). The wait staff is excellent--not 5-star restaurant excellent, but very professional, friendly and attentive. The food is incredible. This is not standard Americana Italian--they have many delicious, creative dishes that speak to the heart of Italian cooking. Most dishes are rich and spicy, much like that which you'll find in the inland mountainous areas of Italy.

My favorite dish so far is the Cioppino Caruso. It is a huge bowl of various seafood in a light, spicy red broth. The seafood is absolutely delicious and very toothsome--it seems to have been grilled to get a nice sear, then added to the broth. Most of the dishes here are enough to feed two adults, but this one was so good, I had to eat it all!

They have a dessert menu, but I recommend strolling downstairs to the pasticceria after dinner to choose something from the immense selection of pastries, cakes, gelato, and other delights. I have been here a few times and have talked with several others who frequent Cossetta's and it is notoriously mobbed with people, so reservations are highly recommended.

Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Our first dinner here was wonderful so we were looking forward to coming back. Unfortunately the service was very slow and our food was not nearly as great as our first visit. The bruschetta was soggy. The lasagne was overcooked with tough noodles then smothered in too much sauce to cover it up. The arugula on my carpaccio was soggy as though the plate were pre-prepared and set in the fridge. The beet salad was very short on goat cheese and I could not taste any of the promised truffle oil. My husbands veal chop was delicious and a perfect medium rare with crispy fried potatoes. Overall underwhelmed. Will be awhile before I go back.

Been to Louis? Share your experiences!