“I expected better...”
Review of Louis

Louis
Reserve with OpenTable
Louis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 934 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We visited Louis for the first time for my hubby's birthday on 3/1. The water glasses were crusted and cloudy. Not a good begining. The server was friendly, however, not verry attentive. We were left needing refills for a long time. I was feeling a bit envious of the patrons who had other servers as they seemed to have great service. My husband's meal was excellent. I was a veal virgin until I visited Louis. I didn't think it was supposed to be served cold. The flavor was good but, I would have preferred it hot or at least warm.
I have been a patron of Cosettas for over two decades and was excited by the thought of Loius opening. I may give it another try in the future. Olny because it's a part of Cosettas. Otherwise it would not be worth my time or money.
Our check was $87, only soda to drink and an $8 appetizer. I would say not worth it. Step up the service. Not worth the $20 tip I left.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had intentions of going to Cossettas, but the line was incredibly long due to a concert at the Xcel, so we headed upstairs to Louis. We had a good time. The food was good and service was great. The kid's menu is great and they get a ton of food. They had a blast.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I would go back for the pomodoro (with chicken) alone!! Oh and for the wonderful coffee! AND perfect service. So sad we can't stay longer and go for another meal.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This wasn't our first time at Louis Restaurant in St. Paul, Minnesota but it probably had to be the best. We were celebrating three birthdays and the restaurant was packed! They had a perfect table set aside for the six of us plus to babies. Our server, Mike greeted us right away welcoming us and the three who had birthdays. Mike was accommodating in everyway possible and made us feel like we were the only table he had when in fact he had many more. The drinks were served without delay and appetizers came shortly thereafter. Mike saw to it that all of us were served at the same time with warm and plentiful food.
There wasn't anything this evening that was less than perfect.
This is a great place for pre-hockey or concerts at the Xcel Energy center. If you get Mike as a server you will be doubly blessed.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Like many of the other reviews written, I am a big fan of Cossetta's. I was expecting the same level of quality in the restaurant above. You will not get that here. Let's start with the service. Our server seemed that we were a bother to him. His lack of attention required us to rush through our meal in order to get to the play. He also never followed-up on the quality of the meal. Second...the food. OK at best. There was way too much garlic in the meal and I love garlic. Considering the food in Cossetta's is fantastic, I'm not sure why it couldn't be transferred to this restaurant. Putting aside the excessive garlic, it was mediocre at best. Sadly I would not recommend this restaurant but will still frequent Cossetta's. The only saving grace for the restaurant is its warm atmosphere and the outside terrace.

Been to Louis? Share your experiences!