“A great Mexican restaurant in MN.”

Los Ocampo Restaurant
Ranked #156 of 918 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food and drinks are a great value and there is usually a coupon toward the meal easily found. Los Ocampo can take large groups, is family friendly, yet be a fun place for the girls.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I am from California, visiting my family in St Paul and craving Mexican food. I ordered 2 tacos, one asada and one carnitas...asada was fine, but the carnitas had a lot of punch...good flavor, perfect amount of salt, and crispy around the edges. They offered 2 hot salsas for anyone who wanted some...a nice green tomatillo with a lot of heat, and a tomato based salsa, also quite hot. Beans were creamy and had good flavor. Rice was ok.

There was a good variety of Mexican beer...I ordered a Pacifico. The service was good at lunchtime. I will return for the carnitas. The restaurant is in an old "Bakers Square" and has a full bar.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We got good food, nothing special. The service was great. We left satisfied with very full bellies. I had a giant chimichunga and my husband had fajitas.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

It's difficult for me to write a completely objective review, because Mexican food is not my favorite. But it is one of my husband's, so I do eat this food for his sake. Los Ocampo has a menu with a huge number of choices. it's made up of appetizers, soups, taco, Alambres, traditional dishes, dinner choices, sides, salads, sandwiches, fajitas, burritos, kid's menu, desserts, and drinks. On my first visit, I ordered one of the dinner, I had one chile relleno and one tamale, rice, and beans. I wasn't particularly happy with this choice, as they put a sour white cheese sauce [caso fresca] on top. My husband seemed very happy with his burrito at the time. On our second visit, he ordered a Chimichanga, with beans, onions, etc. inside. I had the Sopa de Mariscos [seafood and fish in a spicy red broth]. I've had this dish elsewhere and found it to be a bit greasy and very spicy hot to my taste here. All the dishes are served piping hot, and the server was very willing to make adjustments like my husband's request to hold the rice on his Chimi. Serving sizes are generous, and I had to take a part of mine home for another day. The service is attentive, polite, and friendly. Los Ocampos seems to be set up to do what they can to allow customers to choose which meats and/or vegetables they would like for the dishes where such a choice is appropriate. The atomosphere is very festive with lacy, colorful flags hanging from the rafters and false cylindrical "pinatas" shaped like beer bottles advertizing the brands sold there. A bar is part of this restaurant all kinds of beers, wines, and other drinks sold. There is a happy hour too. Los Ocampos has free WiFi, take-out service and caters. Customers can choose how spicy they want certain foods. Parking is not a problem, as the restaurant has a lot around it. A ramp is provided to make the place handicapped accessable. Hours: Mon-Thurs, Sun. 8 AM-12 AM; Fri and Sat. 8 AM-2 AM

Reviewed February 8, 2012

If you want the real deal when it comes to Mexican cuisine you need to try Los Ocampo. The new owners did a good job converting an old Baker's Square into a colorful, fun place.
When you arrive order the Perfect Margarita. They are the best I've ever had.
Food? While it is all good, stick with the traditional type dishes.
Huarachazo: Bean filled corn cake topped with meat and avocado.
Traditional style tacos: soft corn tortillas, your choice of meat, onions and cilantro.
Camarones a la Diabla: Very spicy shrimp, excellent
Gordita: Mexican sandwich, to say it is big is an understatement.
All the meat choices are great. My favorite is the Pastor (marinated roast pork). If you are adventurous try the lengua (beef tongue). It is delicious. I could go on and on. Not sure about some of the dishes? The waitstaff is happy to explain. Want it spicy? Ask for the hot sauce and they will bring you three to try.
These people do Mexican right!