“My new favorite in St. Paul”

Black Sheep Coal Fired Pizza
Ranked #38 of 934 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were looking for a place within walking distance of the Embassy Suites. We took a table outside- during rush hour. The traffic was distracting, but the food and service made up for it. We shared a market salad and a small pizza and had more than enough for two. A couple of nice glasses of wine rounded off the meal. We will go back.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Black Sheep was recommended to me by the front desk at The Doubletree By Hilton St. Paul as it is within walking distance just as I requested. We were a party of 17 all meeting to end our weekend of celebrations for my Son's wedding before he and his bride headed off for their honeymoon. The purpose was to thank all his family and special friends for coming out to Mn. to share in he and his brides special day.
We all enjoyed a variety of pizzas and salads. A coal fired pizza has a different delicious smoky taste. The fennel sausage and meatball/ricotta was our favorite. The tossed chop salad and honey ricotta dip with pita chips was a nice starter.
Thanks to Bruno the manager. He not only was friendly but very proud to share his passion for service and how the open coal oven works. We also enjoyed a few samples of local micro brewed beers before deciding on our favorites to order.
The Black Sheep also offers patio dining, but we enjoyed the indoor experience watching the pizza makers while enjoying the incredible open kitchen aromas.
Casual, friendly and delicious food!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Had a great pizza and salad here. The place was quite busy, but, the staff was very attentive and kept the food/drinks flowing. Our pizza was great. Salad was delicious. Good root beer.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am working in St. Paul this week, so I decided to stop by Black Sheep Coal Fired Pizza. It was a Monday night, and the place was absolutely dead.

I ordered a beer, a market salad( which was greek), and a 12 inch pizza with meatballs and ricotta. The salad had a great taste...olives, artichoke hearts, spinach, greens, onions, tomatoes, fresh feta...and a homemade dress (not quite sure on the dressing). The pizza was a little burnt and the taste was average as I expected a "bigger" taste from the meatballs and ricotta. Overall the food was 3.5 on a scale of 5. Pizza was 11.95, salad was 8.95, and beer was 5.00...with tip, it was around $33.00.

The service was great and friendly, no complaints here.

My biggest complaint was the ambiance. This place had zero. I expected my an eclectic theme (black sheep) or something of that nature, but literally plain walls (maybe a wall art of 2) and plain seating. The restaurant just seemed to lack the "this place was neat and I want to come back" feel. Just a personal opinion.

I give this place a 3.5 because the good was decent. However, I probably would not be a regular if I lived here.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went on one of the big art crawl nights, they weren't crowded probably since they are a little out of the way. We split a tasty mushroom pizza and had some local Steel Toe beer. The service seemed to be a little disjointed and confused, it appears to be a common thread in St. Paul dining. All in all was not unpleasant,but not a destination. After all it's just pizza.