“Nope.........not authentic”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Springfield IL
“Nope.........not authentic”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Went to their new location in Minneapolis Northeast. I was not impressed. The handmade tortillas had a funny smell to me--if they are handmade then show me that you are hand-making them, like other restaurants do. I highly doubt that they are hand made! Obviously Minnesota folks don't know authentic Mexican............and my name ends in ".......ez"!
The tacos were just OK, guac just OK, service just OK. The sauces for the tacos were nothing special. Quite honestly, I think Chipotle tastes fresher. Cheap eats, though.

• Visited July 2012

Minneapolis, MN
“Love this place.”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Get the Habenjero salsa! I was driven to write a review after only one visit, 5pm 7/13/12. Sooooo tasty. The guys working were cheerful and friendly, I had a few tacos, but my favorite by far was the rusty taco. The nachos were inexpensive for the massive load you get. I discussed with one of the cooks which salsa I should choose, I was a little gun shy since habenjero can be so hot, but they have mastered the perfect mix. YES IT IS HOT! but also really good. I will ask the hold back on the cilantro a bit next time, and there will be a next time, I can't wait to try more.

• Visited July 2012
Shakopee, MN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,047 helpful votes
“Lousy food, crappy preparation, poor service!”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I visited on Friday, June 8, 2012 at 11:30 am. The cash register is immediately at the front door. So...if there are more than two people in line, you have to wait OUTSIDE in the weather! The menu is above the cash registers and the people taking your order are confused, don't know how to make change, and would rather be somewhere else.

I ordered a #6, #7, and #8. I.E. vegetarian, fish taco, shrimp taco. Paper cup for soft drinks that you dispense yourself.

You pay, give them your name and then take a seat. They holler your name and you pick up your order on a round metal tray.

The tacos are very, very, very small !!!!!!!

I asked for the fish taco to be grilled rather than fried. The fish was so dry I could have used it as sand paper! The shrimp taco is advertised as "crisp", I would say small, dry, crusty bits of something that may resemble shrimp. The red cabbage is three to four times the bulk of the taco compared to the fish or shrimp portions. The vegetarian option was the best tasting, but still lacked the "wow" factor. In each and every case, the corn tortill was soggy. These people have absolutley no pride in their food! NONE!

Overpriced! Fish taco: $3.00; shrimp taco: $3.00; vegetarian taco: $2.50 and the fountain, self-serve soda was $1.50.

Total price,with NO tip for self serve was $10.76 for small portions, rude order takers, and crappy food was overpriced and underwhelming. Never again!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Steve0315
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Decent taco shop, but lacks authenticity”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Stopped in for a late lunch the other day and ordered three tacos: beef fajita, roasted pork and rusty (shredded pork and pineapple). Wasn't given any instruction but should have figured it out when they asked for my name. There were a couple others who had ordered before me sitting down, so I did the same. Moments later, the cook started calling off names, and eventually butchered mine, a Spanish name, which I took as a bad sign. You head up to the counter and are given your orders, served on circular trays. There is also three types of salsas available, meant to be taken back to the tables — a mild tomatillo, a red salso and an orange habenero. I tried all three, and all were decent. The habenero was not that hot. And the tacos were not bad. I just didn't think they were great either. The beef fajita had larger chunks of beef, cilantro and grilled onion. It wasn't the most tender beef I've had on a beef fajita, but it was passable. The roasted pork taco was probably the best — carnitas smothered in crumbled cheese and touched off with slices of purple, pickled onion. Lastly, the rusty taco was Minnesota interesting — shredded pork marinated in achiote, giving it an odd red glow, topped with onion and pineapple. I thought they were a little heavy handed with the onion and it could have used something else. All three of these tacos were $2.50 and served with a lime wedge. So for $8 after tax I had three fairly small tacos with nothing on the side. They offer chips and salsa, but I never pay for such items. Authentic taco joints give that stuff away for free. This place obviously isn't meant to be authentic. The decor is modern, and the marketing and look of the place is closer to Chipotle. I'd say the menu is slightly more creative than Chipotle, but the value is not as good here. It's not a bad option if you're coming out of Trader Joe's hungry, but I wouldn't make a special trip here.

• Visited April 2012
South Metro, Twin Cities, MN
“"Fast" food perfected”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Rusty Taco has become part of my Timberwolves game night ritual. You order at the counter and can eat at one of the many tables, or belly up to the bartop overlooking the kitchen. The staff is friendly and helpful, the food is great, and the beers are dirt cheap -- 24oz cans of Tecate for $4! They also have a few different local and craft brews on tap.

I've tried -- and been pleased by -- almost all of the tacos, except for the breakfast versions. My favorites are the fish tacos (mahi mahi), the shrimp tacos, the brisket tacos, and fried chicken tacos. I haven't found one I don't like yet.

• Visited February 2012