“The Fries were ok”

Bennett's Chop & Railhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Bennett's Chop & Railhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 935 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Victoria
Transit: Buss Stop three blocks from our front Door.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

There are some great neighborhood joints in St. Paul. Bennetts isn't one of them. Its sort of a dive that is trying to grow up by putting on table cloths & linen napkins. We've been there 3 times. The 1st time, the food was great.
Our second visit, the hamburger buns were stale, the fries old and the burger overcooked.
Given our good experience the 1st time, we tried again. This time the fries were ok and the buns weren't stale. My wife got the bison burger and liked it. Someone else got the juicy lucy which was done properly. She said she liked it. I wanted a burger with pepper cheese. They had a pepper cheese burger on the menu with 2 1/2 pound patties. I only wanted one of the patties. The waitress said she would check if that was possible. When our food nearly arrived, she stopped back to say it couldn't be changed and I would have to be charged $14 for the monster burger. I took the other patty home. They didnt' have a simple cheeseburger on the menu. Seems odd. If you want a burger with pepper cheese, you have get the $14 monster burger.
We are done with Bennetts. Chop house it is not.

1  Thank Mexikinda

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have to say I've been to Mancini's and Tryggs and Cherokee and all the top joint in Minneapolis and my sirloin here for under 20 bucks was just as good if not better. It' was delicious! The Au gratin potatoes are the amazing and their chopped salad is the best around. My buddies love the steaks. My sons love the steaks. The atmosphere can't be beat. The staff and clientele are very friendly so very casual. Last year I had a beer with Brett Hull. He is a UMD alum as is my teammate Pavelich from Eveleth. Joe Bennett will get you to the concert or game right on time and you'll make friends on the trip!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stepped out for dinner with my son and a family friend for my birthday tonight. I had heard that the food was great so I was keen on going there. Stepping into the old 'Mitch's'-wasn't clear whether we should sit or wait to be seated, (recommend buying a sign that says what to do). Our waiter was great, very friendly and informative. I didn't bring my reading glasses and he was great about that,said he had a whole drawer frull of them as people left them behind! Ribs-great, augratins very good, house salad not so good, burger excellent, pork chops dried out and over cooked. Spinach artichoke app and bruschetta app were amazing. Ambience is null and void. It's the kind of joint that could have a waiting list every meal service if the right person put some umph into it. I told him it was my birthday..would have been nice to have that acknowledged with a dessert. Would go back again just for the two apps. They were awesome!

1  Thank sheilaannestuart
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stopped for lunch ordered up the Great Soup and Salad had the house salad and delicious asparagus and blue cheese soup.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just a quick review on Bennett's Chop & Railhouse in St. Paul, MN... The wife and I are always looking for a new place to eat out for date night. We wanted to go to Mancini's down the street but decided it just wasn't in the budget for now... So we had heard that Bennett's was a good alternative and not as pricey with great service! The reviews I read were not wrong at all... Bennett's is kind of a hybrid bar/restaurant... Food is excellent, service great, table settings are nice and it is a nice atmosphere, a tad fancy yet casual. Then the bar side has a fantastic menu as well, a lot of neon and kinda loud but that did not deter us... I had the steak medallion sliders and Carrie had the famous Bennett's meatloaf... Both dishes were perfect as was the service... The price tag was very reasonable as well... You can get a meal from $10 and if you feel like getting something a bit pricier, they have that as well... A very well rounded menu... And Again, the service was great and we noticed that all servers were working hard for their money!
So if you are looking for a different chop house to go to without the expensive up charges and a la carte menu items, Bennett's Chop & Railhouse in St. Paul is for you...