“great late night dinner”

American Burger Bar
Ranked #165 of 892 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dallas, Texas
“great late night dinner”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

we were at a volleyball tournament, finished late and by the time we got back to hotel and kids in bed it was 10:30 and a bunch of parents needed to eat. We had great food (loved the cheese curds) and a very good beer selection.
service a little slow, but they didn't expect a group of 11 people that late so we understand. would definitely go again

Visited June 2014

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Juicy Burgers”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Just visited this restaurant for the third time. This visit, like others, did not disappoint. You can order burgers of all kinds here and customize them to your liking. I ordered the Juicy Klucy, a Kobe beef burger stuffed with cheese. I rate this at the very top of my burger experiences. The fries were good and service was fine. I also enjoy the decor of this restaurant. There are gorgeous word surfaces everywhere that provide a pub-like feel. I will be back for another burger!

• Visited July 2014
Owatonna, Minnesota
“Just Ok”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stopped be for a Cheerleading comp, They were slow with our drinks, and would not change one of the TV to the Gopher game after asking 3 times. Food was ok I had had the 3 mini sliders, my hubby had a burger said it was average, my daughter had wings they were good.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Redwings73
Twin Cities, MN
“Top Notch Burger”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My son and I just happened to walk past this place over the noon hour and decided to grab a burger. We're glad we did.

This place was originally Galvan's, an Irish pub and St. Paul landmark. It closed some years ago but American Burger pays homage to the landmark with its Galvan Burger. Galvan's original dark wood walls and bookshelves with out of date legal publications give American Burger Bar an old school luxurious feel that is unexpected for a burger joint.

The place was not busy. Two things may account for this. St. Paulites are notoriously frugal, and these patties ain't cheap, and it was only -6 degrees outside. Without skyway access, this place is at a disadvantage during bad weather. The staff was friendly, cheerful, and proficient but untaxed.

The menu is simple. Burgers pretty much any way you want them. They're thick and filling. Build your own burgers give you a choice of Angus beef, chicken breast, Kobe beef or bison. There's about a half dozen cheeses to pick and then a list of toppings ranging from onions to shrimp. You even get to choose what kind of bun to have.

My son had the Kobe beef with peperjack and bacon on a white onion bun. I had the bison with pepperjack cheese, caramelized onions and a fried egg, sunny side up on focaccia bread. All burgers come with tomato, pickle slices, lettuce, flavored mayo and shoe string fries. For an additional fee, you can sub out the fries for healthier or unhealthier options.

The burgers come cooked a bit more than ordered so if you like medium, order it medium rare. I ordered mine rare and it came a bit on the medium rare side. Bison is low in fat and over cooking ruins the flavor. Never order bison more than medium or you're wasting money. I asked for my fried egg sunny side up and gooey. It came sunny side up and a bit firmer than ordered but it sill had plenty of runny yoke to ooze off the burger. My son ordered his medium rare and it came medium with very little pink in the middle.

The burgers were delicious and juicy. The runny yoke provided a silky, fatty texture and compliment to the bison. The yoke and burger juice drippings provided a perfect dipping sauce for the shoe string fries. The fries were hot, crispy and moderately salted. Word to the wise: Order a bun that will stand up to the juice that these burgers put out. A typical soft bun will fall apart before you finish these burgers. The focaccia was perfect and stood up to the task of keeping all the ingredients together for the entire ride.

Though we had no alcoholic beverages, this place has a full bar and a decent beer menu. It seems like it might be a fun place to stop in for a drink and burger for dinner.

Though the burgers were very good, the prices take them out of the must have category. There's lots of good and some great burger joints in the twin cities. Many of them have better prices. If I was in the mood for a fancy burger and I was in downtown St. Paul I'd stop in again. I would not make a special trip from the burbs or from Minneapolis for a burger at this place.

There's 2 other locations; Minneapolis and St. Joseph.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Dead Skunk S
Manchester
“Fun place for drinks and snacks”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Great staff, fun atmosphere and the nibble type snacks are great. Especially the chicken wings and the hot beef sliders

• Visited December 2013