“Good Place to Bring Kids”

Minnesota Children's Museum
Ranked #12 of 125 things to do in Saint Paul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Bigger, Better, Bolder Museum is Open! This is our first major renovation since we opened our downtown St. Paul museum in 1995. Children and adults alike delight in our 10 new exhibits and enjoy a variety of new amenities. A glass addition along West Seventh Street houses The Scramble, a four-story climbing adventure. Elsewhere in the new museum, visitors delight in an updated pretend town, get creative in two maker workshops and engineer their own fun in an air-and-water exhibit. Families also enjoy a bigger toddler gallery and step out into a revamped rooftop and backyard. Kids craft their own adventures in a ninja-training course and a carpet skate park. This is play like it’s meant to be. Natural. Joyous. Genuine. Children will explore, experiment, try new things, test their limits, adapt and grow. Each exhibit helps children develop the life skills they need to succeed throughout life — how to think creatively, make plans, analyze problems, tackle challenges, speak and listen, work as part of a team and more.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was probably 16 when I stopped going to the Children’s Museum because I wanted to play there. I really liked it and have good memories from there. I am in the BBBS program and I was excited when my Little wanted to go there for Grossology.

Parking is a hassle, there is a lot kitty-corner to the museum and you get a discount if you bring your parking ticket into the museum. I didn’t know this and drove around the one-ways for a long time before I gave-up and parked in the nearest ramp. Happy suprise that it was discounted.

They have activities and you will surly find something your kids can make and take home with them. I was not impressed with Grossology, but it was a rented exhibit and all the rage so of course they needed to bring it in. They seemed to have popped it up in a empty room that was to big for the exhibit; they still have several empty rooms at the Museum.

I LOVE the area with the giant ant hill. You can crawl around through the tunnels – I was playing in this when I was a teenager and even though it was a tighter fit, I crawled around in there with my Little.

There are lot so fun places to take pictures – bring a camera. If by chance you are going as part of BBBS, there is a discount…I didn’t know that either.

There are newer reviews for Minnesota Children's Museum

Reviewed November 26, 2012

What a great place to spend the day. My grandson is 3 and has a great time here. Mini golf, hands on activities, and a great water station! A must visit!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great place to visit with kids. Lots of "hands on" things to do. Great place to visit when it is cold outside. Will be returning again when we spend time with our grandkids in MN.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I took my almost 2 year old twins to the Museum and they had a fantastic time. We also had a great time watching them enjoy and absorb all of the activities, and adventures they were able to experience. The exhibits were great, although some were geared toward older children. We were able to benefit greatly from the exhibits geared toward the younger i.e. toddler aged children. Such as watching them scramble through the ant hill. My kids LOVED this!! We did art projects, with lots of assistance from employees, who seem to enjoy assisting the children. We went to the very top floor of the museum and the soft room up there is just a dream for little ones. We purchasd a membership, and hope to return soon. Note that you can bring in snacks and food as the Museum does provide an eating area, although it is not catered. There is a food court of sorts close by, which has McDonalds and other well known chains. I highly recommend bringing Snacks. Additionally, there are lockers to store coats and valuables, as well as a place to store strollers - which although it's not secure, there are enough strollers stored there, that I'd assume things are safe. However, you can also bring a stroller lock to be safe. Have fun, and plan for a full day here, or at least until the kids get tired.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have visited various children's museums on both coasts and in between and none is finer than Minnesota's. The size, variety and quality of the museum are all outstanding. Every visit brings something new. The staff is great.