“Fun family day”

Science Museum of Minnesota
Ranked #3 of 120 things to do in Saint Paul
More attraction details
Owner description: The Science Museum of Minnesota is well-known for its hands-on approach to science learning and entertainment. It features the popular Experiment Gallery, an Egyptian mummy, an authentic Mississippi River towboat, a convertible-dome Omnitheater and interactive exhibits for all ages!
Northwood, Iowa, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun family day”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

The museum was good, took our 4 kids who enjoyed it. My 5 year old enjoyed it the most I think. We had free tickets so can't say much about price as I'm not sure what it would cost us to go. We saw the dinosaur exhibit which was neat but the imax movie was not what I expected. It was basically a documentary, kids were bored pretty quick. I suggest eating elsewhere as the restaurant is expensive and took quite a while to get our food. The kids enjoyed eating on the outdoor terrace however, the sights are pretty. Overall the experience was good.

Visited July 2014

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Overland Park, Kansas
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Must see, must re-see, must re-see again!”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stop in Minneapolis St Paul every year overnight for a yearly trip. We ALWAYS go to the Science Museum on our morning in the city.

The museum is 4 floors of interesting, hands on, wow dinosaurs, and special exhibits. Our kids have been going to 11 years! Hands down our family favorite floor is the dinosaurs -- real fossils, immense sizes, interesting never seen before's, and lots and lots of variety. !00 recommended for anyone who likes, loves, or thinks they like dinos.

The other exhibits are always interesting -- wave machine, interactive music exhibits, a tornado generator, human body exhibits, work/energy/motion, ping pong ball shoot and many many more!

The traveling exhibits are exceptional. Worthy of a visit, revisit, and revisiting again!

Highly recommended for everyone!

Visited June 2014
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“My family loves the Science Museum of Minnesota”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have four children (ages 3-11) and this is a wonderful place for a family day out. My three year old has never been because I do think she may be a touch to young to enjoy it yet, but my other three children never stop talking about their last trip here, which was almost a year ago. I grew up in Minneapolis and made many school trip here. Now, I live in the UK, but this place is always at the top of our list of places to visit when we go back to the Twin Cities. There is lots to do and the kids never want to go home. I highly recommend a visit! I do have to say I think the cafe is a bit overpriced and the food is not very good. If you can avoid it, do. The museum itself is perfect though!

Visited October 2013
Minnesota
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Expensive and not worth the time”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went there with my daughter and her family of 4. All the advertising I heard on TV bragged up the dinosaur exhibit. Well guess what? you have to pay an additional fee on top of the main fee to get into the dinosaur exhibit! What a rip off and on top of that the extra exhibit wasn't that great. Much of the museum was the same stuff I saw a few years ago. Not much changed. Boring.
Another bucket of money wasted. Also, don't eat at the restaurant in the building, expensive and not that good.

Visited July 2014
Texas
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great facility!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Even though we didn't have much time to visit, we got a quick overview of the museum and thought it was terrific. It is located by the Mississippi River and has good views of it. We primarily went as I had read it had information in the lobby about the river. And that area is free for tourists to visit. It had a few displays that were not that impressive, but a park ranger spoke to us about the river, its history and sights upon the river to see. Kudos to him for a job well done. Also very impressive was a map upon the floor showing the land area of the Mississippi River. I thought it was fantastic. We had a very short time, less than 30 minutes, to walk thru the museum and see a few displays. Regardless of our lack of time, we paid the fee to get in because we figured that a facility that does things so excellently deserves it as a donation. Hope to go back some time in the future!
The cafe in the lobby was staffed by a personable young man who was quite knowledgeable about the museum. It was good for a quick breakfast of a muffin and other assorted items.