“Excellent architecture and history”

Minnesota State Capitol
Ranked #12 of 128 things to do in Saint Paul
More attraction details
Owner description: Connect with this landmark building designed by Cass Gilbert through its amazing stories — and learn about its incredible architecture, art and history.
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We took the guided tour of the Mn State Capitol with our grandson.

All of us loved the tour, the architecture, and the history.

We would rank it a step below Wisconsin's capitol building in Madison, but still worth a visit.

1  Thank pakrfan-wis
"light rail"
"open to the public"
"historical society"

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Yes it's beautiful and yes, there's a good tour. But I think it's great to bring kids to meet with their legislators and if possible to testify at a committee hearing. This is the "people's house!" If you make an appointment ahead of time, local legislators will be glad to see you. We've done this many times.

Things can be very lively too. Here are some pictures from the day that the Mn Senate was voting on the marriage amendment. We had lots of students there and they saw democracy in action.

1  Thank Seniordad
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Beautiful building finished in 1905. Cass Gilbert used St. Peter's Basilica, Rome, as his model. There is a very interesting tour available. Be sure to see the Rathskeller with attendant German phrases extolling beer.

2  Thank Janet S
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I loved seeing all of the granite and carved wood decoration in the interior and furniture. The great white marble dome was fashioned after St Peter's in Rome. I liked the paintings of all of the governors, esp the husband & wife governors. If you are from MN, it is worthwhile to see where your House, Senate, & Supreme Court are housed. I enjoyed it even though I live in AZ.
Next time I would arrive earlier to take their tour.