“A fun way to learn some of St. Paul's history.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of James J Hill House

James J Hill House
Ranked #5 of 117 things to do in Saint Paul
More attraction details
Owner description: Rugged stone, massive scale, fine detail and ingenious mechanical systems recall the powerful presence of James J. Hill, builder of the Great Northern Railway. Guides lead tours that help you imagine family and servant life in the Gilded Age mansion, the setting of the public and private lives of the Hill family. The James J. Hill House is a National Historic Landmark.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A fun way to learn some of St. Paul's history.”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We did the nooks and cranny tour and found it to be very fun and interesting. The house and it's residence are and were, very richly steeped in St. Paul's history. It's simply an amazing house and I am looking forward to the Christmas or Halloween tour.

1 Thank leslieb1120

• Czech first
San Antonio, TX
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Interesting tour of old Mansion”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We took the 90 minute tour though the house and the tour guide was very informative! She made it so interesting as we imagined the family living there.It made me want to read the book written about the second son who took over running his Dad's business...James J Hill was an smart person who thought ahead of his time...

Visited September 2012
Maryland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Worth the price”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We passed by the James J. Hill house on a Grayline bus trip, which I would recommend also. We decided to visit there on our second day in the St. Paul area. We arrived at 10:00 when they open so our group was small. Our guide Carol was very informative, and made the house come alive for us. An added bonus was the professional organist who played for us. This only happens on Saturday. The tour was almost 1 1/2 hours and covered most of the house. I highly recommend it.

Visited September 2012
Edmonton, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Hill Mansion”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I came too late to take the tour (adults $7). I arrived at 3:55 pm and they were closing at 4 pm. The docent did take me briefly through 4 of the rooms of the first floor. It made me want to come back when I had more time.

Visited August 2012
Henderson, Nevada
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Piece of history.”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I really enjoyed seeing something different last Thanksgiving while visiting St. Paul. The mansion is huge and we got to see many areas of the house. The history of the house is one of a kind and the technology is incredible for the time is was built. I really recommend anyone visiting this area to visit the mansion.

Visited November 2011