“Worth the price”

James J. Hill House
Ranked #5 of 130 things to do in Saint Paul
More attraction details
Owner description: Rugged stone, massive scale, fine detail and ingenious mechanical systems recall the powerful presence of James J. Hill, builder of the Great Northern Railway. Guides lead tours that help you imagine family and servant life in the Gilded Age mansion, the setting of the public and private lives of the Hill family. The James J. Hill House is a National Historic Landmark. The home also includes an art gallery, which features work from the Minnesota Historical Society's collections.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We passed by the James J. Hill house on a Grayline bus trip, which I would recommend also. We decided to visit there on our second day in the St. Paul area. We arrived at 10:00 when they open so our group was small. Our guide Carol was very informative, and made the house come alive for us. An added bonus was the professional organist who played for us. This only happens on Saturday. The tour was almost 1 1/2 hours and covered most of the house. I highly recommend it.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"great tour"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I came too late to take the tour (adults $7). I arrived at 3:55 pm and they were closing at 4 pm. The docent did take me briefly through 4 of the rooms of the first floor. It made me want to come back when I had more time.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I really enjoyed seeing something different last Thanksgiving while visiting St. Paul. The mansion is huge and we got to see many areas of the house. The history of the house is one of a kind and the technology is incredible for the time is was built. I really recommend anyone visiting this area to visit the mansion.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is a beautiful home and a wonderful piece of history. Hard to imagine a family truly living there.