“Gabe's is homestyle!”

Gabe's by the Park
Ranked #141 of 885 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Gabe's is homestyle!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Greeted at the door by a server which was nice. So many times you walk into a new place and aren't sure whether to seat yourself or? She sat me in a booth by the bar and I enjoyed watching the action around the place. Took me back to many years earlier when I was a bar patron. Was coming back from the doctor and wanted to sit and eat some lunch and thought I would try it. My server came over with a huge smile and got me a pop, gave me a menu and returned shortly thereafter. I loved hearing the bartender sing along out loud to the old school music and the banter back and forth between daytime bar patrons. Ordered simple, a burger and a side salad. The salad had home made dressing which was excellent. Huge chunks of blue cheese inside the creamy dressing. The burger was black angus, mouthwatering and happy to get it Med which many places won't do these days. She refilled my pop without asking which to me was a big plus--didnt have to wait, didn't have to hunt her down, she just appeared as it was nearly empty and filled it. She checked back on my food and was very friendly and professional. I will return. I am old school, remember when this place was called Connelly's. We used to go there after work at night when I worked at the Criterion many moons ago. By the way, Tripadvisor doesn't know the Twin Cities because Gabes is no where near West St. Paul--it is in St. Paul near Como Park.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank sheilaannestuart

Onalaska, Wisconsin
“A good vibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Can't put my finger on it, but I liked the feel of this place. We were greeted by someone obviously well accustomed to dealing with the public and had a very good server. The place felt like a good neighborhood establishment. Bar drinks were really good and everyone at our table enjoyed their burgers and fish. Great coleslaw too. Would go again.

• Visited September 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great Como location, but poor food quality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I've tried Gabes three times and that is my limit. Each time left me disappointed. Some of the disappointments have been:
* Lackluster quality of reuben sandwich
* Tator tots that seemed doubly fried (more fried part than tator part)
* Average tasting nachos

You can find a better reuben at The Liffey, better nachos at Sweeneys, and better tator tots by opening a bag of frozen ones and throwing them in your oven.

The service and location are great, and if you are just drinking beer and not eating it's a great establishment. But this is definitely not a go-to destination to eat.

• Visited December 2012
Port Clinton, Ohio
“Motel Clerk's Recommendation was Spot On.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We all know how these can be, a corner hang out or less, YET, he was right on. We were meeting with some family members for the first time in several years and wanted a place to grab a quick bite that was close to the Best Western. Gabe's was just around the corner.

I had the Reuben with a side of fried Bean Curd and Coleslaw. Pretty simple but it is amazing how many places can mess up a Reuben, not to mention slaw that is too sweet. Gabe's has it down perfect, the Reuben was very tasty and not too greasy and you could taste the cabbage in the slaw.

My wife had a Caesar Salad with a cup of soup. She enjoyed both.

The service was friendly and good.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank pwberndt
St Paul, MN
“Meh”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We've been here twice with the same results. If you are seated in the back room, it's nice and quiet, true..... and the waitress ignores you. This last time we asked to move to where someone was actually working. After re-seating, we ordered fish 'n chips and a steak dinner with a side salad and rice. We received my steak as ordered, and my husbands fish......no 'chips'. We asked the waitress, and she brought him a big of potato chips from the bar. So we pointed out that menu says this should be fish and french fries. She didn't know that because 'she was new'. When we got the bill we were charged extra for my included side dish. She was equally perplexed by that. The food is good, but we wonder if the hassle is worth it. We will think twice before returning.

• Visited June 2013