“One of the best burgers I have ever eaten!”
Review of Gabe's by the Park

Gabe's by the Park
Ranked #180 of 923 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Great hamburger at a great price! For $2.99, you get a large burger with condiments. What you do from there adds to the price - $1.99 for lettuce, tomato and onion, .99 for cheese and $1.99 for cheese. It was so tasty! The cookie dessert was also good but should definitey be shared. I enjoyed the regulars walking in to the bar. I bet this place really kicks on the weekends. Definitely give this place a try.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

A nice neighborhood bar & grill. Ribs were the special and they were fantastic. Burgers and sandwiches were great also. Best of all was the cookie dessert. They put cookie dough in a skillet and then cook it fresh for you. Served right in the skillet and topped with ice cream - DELICIOUS!

1  Thank B0pper
Reviewed August 21, 2011

This is a rvw of Gabe's by the Park, which is apparently a change of mgt/ownership from Gabe's Roadhouse. There was a tabletop card for the "Game Day Special" of burger, fries, and wings for X amt. The Twins, the Saints, and the Vikings were playing, so that's what I ordered. The waitress informed me it was only for GB Packers games! Whodathunk? Nowhere on the card did it say Packers and upon closer inspection in better light, the color of the letters was green and yellow. Oh, well. More clarity would be great.
So I ordered the mush/swiss burger and fries and my wife got the Buffalo chkn sandwhich. My burger was very good and the Buffalo sandwhich was good, but hot. Maybe too hot for most MN taste buds, but we liked it. The Buffalo had 2 sad pieces of bacon that looked like they were baked instead of fried. If you like crisp bacon, be sure and ask for it. We upgraded to fries from chips, but don't think it was quite worth the extra money.
Overall the restaurant was clean, the staff was decently attentive, and the bar area had a local feel to it. It was good, but not too special to make me want to return anytime soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

My wife and I, along with my uncle and aunt, recently ate at Gabe's Roadhouse in St. Paul to take advantage of their free shuttle bus to the Minnesota Twins game.

We were there at around 3:00 for a late lunch/early supper and to be able to make their shuttle which left at 4:30. This turned out to be a decent time to arrive, as the place was nearly empty, and we were assured of getting seats on the shuttle.

The shuttle--especially the helpfulness of the driver and not having to figure out where to park near Target Field--were the highlights of our experience with Gabe's. By taking the shuttle we saved parking and gas, and except for our tip to the driver, was free. The driver was very friendly, clearly announced pick-up instructions and time for after the game, and helped load and unload my uncle's wheelchair that he needs because he can't walk long distances. The shuttle was a 47-passenger MCI motorcoach that provided comfortable across-town transportation.

The restaurant, though, did not quite measure up to the shuttle in terms of service. While the waitresses were friendly, the restaurant was out of several items that we had initially wanted to order, despite having a very large variety on the menu. My aunt kidded later that it would have been easiest to ask "What DO you have?" instead of giving our orders and be told they were out of it. Also, we had discount cards, which the waitress initially forgot to take off of our bill, until my aunt noticed the discounts weren't on there.

The food we ended up ordering was generally very good. The Monte Cristo sandwich I had included thick, good-quality meat and had waffle fries as an additional charge option. My wife and uncle both ordered BBQ beef brisket that was tasty and smelled very good, but a little tough.

The atmosphere wasn't quite what my wife and I particularly care for. It was more of a restaurant and bar combo with a sports theme, and while we are baseball fans we do not drink and try to avoid bar-type establishments if at all possible. One drawback of the shuttle arrangement--at least coupled with that type of business--is that of the 40 or so people on the bus, by the end of the game coming back on the shuttle probably 30 of them had too much to drink, and a handful became annoying with their celebrating after the Twins' win. Most casual diners and baseball fans probably wouldn't care, but despite the helpfulness, convenience, and friendliness of the operation, we'd prefer to drive ourselves to the stadium and know we're leaving in company of other non-drinkers.

If you're looking for a convenient way to get from the east Twin Cities metro to a Twins game, some good food, and don't mind (or if you want) the atmosphere, Gabe's Roadhouse would fit the bill. If you have children or prefer a family-style atmosphere, you should look elsewhere.

1  Thank jahoduluth
Reviewed March 12, 2010

This restaurant is very busy after work and around the time of Minnesota Saint games. The quality of many of their dishes is above average, especially their salads. When they had a lunch buffet the range of salads offered and the quality of those items was equal to much higher price venues. The place is much larger then it appears and draws a crowd in the early evening. Located near Como Park, you may want to give it a try after visiting that venue.