“Really fun wurst and a beer”

Waldmann Brewery & Wurstery
Ranked #79 of 1,028 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Reviewed July 27, 2018

We had such a good time. It’s located in a little old house in a residential neighborhood.
The interior was charming bungalow but very neat and clean. We had the dunkel beer which was fantastic. My husband and I split a platter for two which had 3 homemade wursts and 3 sides and bread and then we split a apple/cherry strudel. Outstanding food. One of the wursts was the wurst of the which was kimchi, then we had a curry wurst and brat. All are homemade and locally sourced meats. After eating we toured the
Hill House mansion which was a street over which we also enjoyed and we looked at the cathedral across the street from the Hill House. We felt like we were in Europe but we were in St Paul ,MN. One tip -watch to make sure you are parked in the designated parking or you will get a ticket.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

What a lovely spot! The Oldest Saloon in Minnesota. The care that has been taken to restore the building is evident. The love of History, specifically Minnesota history is also evident. The building is rustic & simple yet elegant. The menu is the same. House made sausages, pickled veg, krauts, house made mustards, curried ketchup! All of it excellent. The Beers are traditional and unfiltered German fare. Quite delicious. They also have a newly opened Patio. Nice size, big picnic tables for family seating. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed May 10, 2018

The menu is short but it is still hard to select among the German choices. It helps that you get to choose more than one side dish with many entrees. I had the wurst platter, knowing I would have half to take home. (I didn't suggest sharing with my friend -- I wanted my own leftovers!)

If you are a fan of reuse-recycle-reduce-re-purpose you will enjoy that this building was saved from demolition, restored, repaired, and re-purposed (or returned to its purpose), you will enjoy the setting itself. Built in 1857, it is the oldest surviving commercial building in the Twin Cities.

If your slogan is "eat local," you'll smile that the menu indicates which items are made in-house, and the nearby sources of other items.

It is an old building in an old neighborhood. Parking is limited. Plan to carpool if you are eating with a group. And wear shoes you don't mind walking a few blocks in.

If you want water, ask for it. Oddly, the same is true of butter. The staff is super friendly, though, so asking for butter is not unpleasant.

FYI, even the items listed as "spicy" are not "hot" as the term is used in Asian or Mexican restaurants. "Well-seasoned" might be a better term. I found the plain brats a little bland for my taste, and found the currywurst more interesting.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed May 7, 2018 via mobile

Some friends and I had lunch recently at Waldmann’s and had a great experience. The beer and food were excellent. The wurst special was excellent. The atmosphere and wait staff were excellent.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed April 25, 2018

If I could give this place a six, I would. It really checks all the boxes. The food is great, the beer menu is very thoughtful and the beer is very high quality. There is real attention to artison food which is locally made and the prices are very reasonable. The service was superb and friendly. The atmosphere is fantastic with great attention to historical detail. The location is nice as well. I have lived in the St Paul area for a long time and I really appreciate how they have brought some of the St Paul history to life. This place is really a gem and I am looking forward to my next opportunity to visit this establishment.

Date of visit: April 2018