“Very pleased with this place!”

Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Duluth, Minnesota
“Very pleased with this place!”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Made reservation over phone and was initially annoyed at the questions being asked... turns out the girl was simply trying to get us the best rate possible. As luck would have it we were coming about 8 hours (round trip) for a medical appointment and got an AMAZING deal. She was pretty sure we could get another discount *on top of that* for my husband being an airline agent. However she was not 100% and wanted us to call and speak with the manager. Called next day and he was mysteriously not working. Ditto next day and same thing upon check in. The morning we checked OUT after we'd paid and everything he magically appeared and said sorry no Delta discount. A front desk girl apologized for his comings and goings and that he had 4 kids, most of whom were very sick at the moment and he's a bit frazzled.

Check in was nice, luggage carts PLENTIFUL. Place easy to find and fabulous location. Lobby decorated pretty (week before Christmas) and the girl was sweet and attentive.

Lobby and elevators nice quality and clean, very VERY shocked to reach 7th floor and step out. Assorted weird smells and ick carpeting. Smell(s) hard to distinguish. Mold? The hallways and hallway room doors did not match ANYTHING else of the hotel. They're gross, low class, stinky and the rooms/lobby/etc is lovely.

It was incredibly bizarre walking from the ewww hallway into our lovely lovely room. Comfy chair, king size bed, extra pillows brought up less than 2 minutes after requesting them. Fabulous view, massive window facing the downtown area, thick fantastic drapes to block the lights when needed. Large nice tv, *GREAT* SHOWER (I am very picky and this was superb!)

Clean linens, very nice pillows. Sadly the bed was too firm for me (husband thought it was just fine) so personally I would not want to stay here again. It's a hotel room, meant for sleeping. And I slept poorly. So obviously all the other great things don't make up for it

We did not have dinner at the hotel restaurant but shortly before closing time my husband got us hot fudge sundaes to-go and they were SO YUMMY.

Check out was OK (except waiting around for the elusive manager....) but again it was so incredibly ODD going from this gorgeous hotel room to the scuzzy hallway

Room Tip: high room facing the skyline is very, very pretty!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer J
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon. We are currently doing renovations around the hotel so you will see changes coming soon. Thank You for staying with us Jennifer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Buffalo, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while attending the State Volleyball Tournament at the Excel Center. We had excellent service from the front desk personnel that accomodated a room change to a lower floor, with no problem during this busy time for the hotel. The hotel had free shuttle service to the tournament and the driver was very personable. We enjoyed the bar and restaurant which provided excellent food and service as well. We were even greeted with smiles from the helpful maintenance workers. The rooms were above average with very comfortable beds. Overall a very good choice for our stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Deb,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We also provide shuttles to anywhere in Downtown St Paul from 8a-5pm Mon-Friday. There are also packages too that we offer if you are down here just for leisure, just call the hotel and we can tell you what we have if your ever down here again. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Pao Vue
Front Office Manager
BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn
madison, wi
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Staying here is like being in the care of people who care - - about interactions with you, and about having each aspect of your stay well considered, well maintained. This is a stellar choice - - it won't be the most modern you ever stayed at, but it might be the best managed you ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Get a capitol / downtown view if you can - - high up.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank You for staying with us. We try our very best to make sure that you are comfortable no matter where you come from. We will always greet you and treat you as family because you are in our home. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I booked this hotel on line, not knowing it was right off a major freeway in downtown St. Paul. The hotel was easy to find, clean, and the pool and restraunt were nice. The beds were comfortable, but our room was on the side of the hotel that over looks the freeway, so we listened to cars, loud motorcycles, and ambulance sirens going by all night long. We were supposed to stay 2 nights, but checked out so we could get a better nights rest some where else.
There is also a night club area, so we also heard the loud drunks as they laughed and shouted their was down the hall to their room(s) at 2am.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel away from the freeway. No free breakfast either.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. I am sorry to hear that the freeway noise was too loud for you, we have several guests that stay with us regularly and do not have any issues with the freeway noise. The hotel does have a restaurant and bar, but we do not have a night club. I am sorry that some guests were too loud late at night after enjoying themselves in our Sweetwater Bar. If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 651-227-8711 Ext. 2429.
Lake Benton, Minnesota
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a family wedding. You can tell that the hotel is older, but they have done a nice job of keeping it up. We did have one issue. In our room there was a light fixture dome that hung down quite low. My husband is 6'3" and he hit his head on it a couple of times. We called the front desk and they promptly came and removed the dome. There is a bar/resturant in the lobby. The bar was nice and had full service of beverages.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lahanson
We try our best to make sure you feel at home so now all rooms include a microwave and refrigerator. We are always a phone call away and we will do whatever we can so that you have a great stay. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon. If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 651-227-8711 Ext. 2429.Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel is really close to the downtown area without the downtown price, which is probably the best thing about it. I got my room through a discount rate site, for about half the normal price - had I not, I would have been really unhappy about my stay.

Pros: Free and ample parking, convenient location to both downtown and the highway/interstate system, decent sized rooms, staff who were prompt to address concerns, there are a good amount of amenities (I did not use so I don't know their condition/usefulness)

Cons: Soundproofing is horrible (I was woke up in the middle of the night due to late night 'happenings' in the room next door), we smelled smoke in our room (Which staff/security did investigate but couldn't figure out where it was coming from), the coffee maker is tiny and didn't include tea, neighborhood in general is "eh"

Overall, the fact that I got a great rate made my stay here feel as though I got a value and hence why I marked it average. Had I paid full price, I probably would have been extremely disappointed. Good for a quick in and out, place to lay your head.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank April J
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. I just wanted to let you know though we do supply a complimentary shuttle Monday Thru Friday from 8a-5pm that can run you within 2 miles of the hotel. If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 651-227-8711 Ext. 2429.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We vacationed along Lake Superior, and the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin, in celebration of a milestone wedding anniversary. When we found out the Minnesota State Fair was going on at the same time we were in the area, we knew we just had to attend. We found the Best Western Kelly Inn to be convenient to both the airport and fairgrounds. The hotel even shuttled us back-and-forth to the fair which saved us time, trouble, and parking fees. The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable, with what felt like a fairly new mattress. The bathroom was a tad small, but workable. I found all the front desk staff and the shuttle drivers to be friendly, professional, and tuned in to our needs. We would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for staying with us. We are glad that you stayed with us and that you enjoyed the fair. We have a package that includes shuttle service to the Minnesota State Fair so the next time your in town again and the Fair is going on check out our special package pricing. And yes we have just renovated not too long ago so the beds are fairly new and comfortable.