“Mom, Dad , 2 kids & the dog”

Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I booked this hotel thru Hotwire.com, so I didn't know what we were getting, or what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised to find such a nice place. Front desk staff were great, quick & painless check-in. Our room was a bit smokey smelling, but front desk had someone come up with febreeze promptly, and even offered to change our room for us. 2 kids (2 & 6 yrs) had a fun time at the pool, as did mom & dad, tho dad spent most of the time in the hot tub. Nice & clean. Restaurant was nice, nothing spectacular, but the wait staff were very good. We caught the free shuttle to the Xcel Center for a hockey game, and then the driver came to pick us up again. He was really nice and made sure we were able to get in the van with the kids before the rest of the folks getting in. We were able to leave Miss Marlin, our dog, in the hotel room while we went to the game, we just had to leave our cell phone number with front desk incase she started to bark (which she didn't - what a good girl). We stayed at the Kelly Inn for 3 nights. The beds & pillows were very comfy - we all slept quite well. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in 601 which faces the back parking lot and a big old Sears store. It was nice and quiet no...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Thank You for your Comments about your recent stay with us! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed here Mar 7th, 2012. We had an excellent stay! We were very grateful to have a shuttle back and forth to the hospital. All the staff that we dealt with were very friendly, kind, courteous, and very willing to strive to accommodate our needs. There's a driver named Jace who is AWESOME!!!!! He must of drove us back and forth at least 4 times. He is extremely friendly, very kind, willing to give suggestions where to eat and what to do, extremely polite, the list could go on and on!!! Like I said, all the staff we interacted with were great! We did eat breakfast (buffet) at the restaurant the next morning of the 8th. Overall it was good, as with any buffet sometimes certain foods don't stay hot for long, but it was still very enjoyable and it was only about $7. Not too bad in price. I do agree with another review about that it would be nice to be offtered continental breakfast-even something like a couple pieces of toast with jelly and peanutbutter would be appreciated. Rooms looked nice, they have obviously repainted and refurbished the rooms lately. I'm guessing this was an older hotel because the door into the room and bathroom seemed a bit narrow, but it wasn't any problem for us. My son went to the pool and thought it was just fine. I also noticed the smell of chlorine (but not very strong) when I first checked in on Wed (abt 1) but when we came back around 4 the smell wasn't really noticable. If I'm ever in that area again I will definately stay there again!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Thank you for staying with us, and for your Wonderful comments! I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 1, 2012

So I used Priceline.com's "Name your own price" and got an awesome deal for this place! We loved the view of the city and this was so easy to get to! Right in the middle of everything! Stayed here with my husband and 3 children in room 612. The rooms were clean and of a great size. Not too small and not too big. We stayed in a two queen room. We loved the restaurant below ... so easy and convenient when we did not want to travel for food especially since the winter hit hard when we stayed 02/23-02/28/2012. Super easy check in and check out.
Unfortunately, we did not get to use the pool ... as we would have loved to. But just from the lobby, we could smell the STRONG chlorine smell ... not very pleasant. Otherwise, we would definitely stay here again. Wish there was a continental breakfast but we did just fine without it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2012

Thank You so much for staying with us and for letting us know how your stay was. I am happy to hear that we where able to provide you with a satisfying stay! We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel Jan 6 - 7. The front desk staff was very nice. I will have to say the shuttle driver really did a excellent job. We ate at the restaurant and the food was very good. No complaints I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Thank You for staying with and for your comments about the hotel and your stay! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed every bit of it. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

I had a king room but with the microwave on the desk and a very small dresser there was no work space. The bathroom had virtually no vanity space. My things kept falling into the sink. The ceiling was so low in the bathroom I could easily touch it. All of this left me feeling really claustrophobic. The location was perfect for legislative meetings and it was very clean but I won't stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank You for your comments regarding your stay with us. We appreciate hearing from our guests and knowing the things that you see that we need to improve. I really hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed in room 320 from Fuburary 10th to the 13th. I would like to inform you and your staff that I really enjoyed my stay. The front desk staff was very poliet and welcoming. The room was clean and safe. The housekeeping staff was ok. They did not speak very much but when asked for some thing they were very helpful.The food was good and always hot. I work for another major Inn in Chicago and think that your Inn was great. I would tell any one that plans to come to your area to stay at the Best Western Kelly Inn. Thank you for making my stay the best it could be.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your stay with us. I am so glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations! We look forward to have you stay with us again when you visit St. Paul.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I was not impressed by this hotel. For a midwestern city, I found the service unfriendly, particulary the desk staff. We were driving across country had asked for a quiet room and were given one at the end of the hall. The in the morning the housekeepers were gathered there and conversing loudly. I stuck my head into the hall and said that we were still sleeping, to which one of the girls responded curtly, "I know!" The location is surrounded by major roads so not exactly pedestrian friendly. The room and particularly the bathroom is very cramped. It is clean, and the beds are comfortable, but other than being in a city this hotel does not jusitify the price.

Room Tip: Desk staff are good about accomidating requests for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Thank You for your Review of our hotel and letting us know how your stay went. I am sorry to hear that it did not meet up to your expectations. Please contact me directly at the hotel so we can discuss in detail your concerns about your stay. Again I apologize and truly hope that you will give us another try.