Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Excellent exhibits, library and bookstore

674julietg
via mobile
Perfect day trip event

Nancy W
Woodbury, Minnesota

All reviews greatest generation weather permitting research library all ages excellent exhibits lots of interactive exhibits world war great museum special exhibit hands on activities gift shop learn something something for everyone capitol building free admission kids and adults downtown st
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This gave you a view of Minnesota’s early to contemporary history. Many interactive displays. The special community exhibits are well thought out and enlightening. The library is a good place to do historical research. The bookstore carries many publications from the Minnesota Historical Society which I could not get elsewhere.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I have been to the History center several times, but the most engaging exhibit we have seen is "1968". It is presented in a way as though you are actually in that time; experiencing the news and events as they unfold. I loved walking into the living room and seeing Walter Cronkite on the TV and also seeing one of Janis Joplin's outfits. (She was one of my favorite singers back in the day).

The History center has great exhibits in general. Kids and adults of all ages will enjoy spending time here.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We viewed the 1968 exhibit as 60 yr old folks and what a flashback..esp the volunteer exhibiting women "requiring dresses" for school attire (I remember that as a female) and the quiz on famous 1968 songs....
We joined the MN Historical Society immediately after viewing the 1968 Exhibit and received admission credit so a very good deal!
We then traveled to the Mill City Museum the next day with free admission as a MHS member
I recommend 100% to join the Minnesota Historical Society!
A gem

Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

A total time capsule of life in 1968. Moving and intense, in a good way. See this exhibit before it leaves St. Paul!

Reviewed October 2, 2018

The center has clear interactive displays portraying the history of Minnesota including accounts of life of early settlers and of the appalling treatment of the Native American population. There are also other exhibitions, including when I was there a striking display on the US in 1968 - and comparing it with today. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed September 29, 2018 via mobile

The MHC has a good selection of exhibits. Yet they could go more in depth. There are exhibits that interest children. The staff is professional and friendly. Visitors need 2 - 3 hours to visit the MHC.

Reviewed September 24, 2018

The MHC was a real treat! I had not idea how well done it was. There were two exhibits that we really enjoyed. One was 1968 and and the other was the Somalies history in Minnesota. Both were so well done. The 1968 exhibit made me laugh and cry since I lived through that year and remember it so clear. The Somali immigrants are a big influence in Minnesota and it was good to find out how they ended up in Minnesota and how much they contribute as good neighbors.

Reviewed September 18, 2018

The History Center is a really impressive building and just impresses more as you wander round. There are so many interactive displays giving you a taste of things from experiencing a tornado from your cellar to life as a settler in the 1860s to being on board a plane on D-Day. The 1968 exhibition brought back loads of childhood memories and was extremely well put together, as was just about everything. You can easily spend the best part of a day there, with something to interest people of all ages, whether native Minnesotans or visitors like ourselves.

Reviewed September 16, 2018

The History Center building is beautiful, in addition to hosting interesting exhibits on Minnesota history.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

We have lived in Minneapolis for over 30 years and this was our first time. We could have spent much more time but 27 year old son not as enthralled as we were. Lunch at the cafeteria was amazing. The exhibits are so well put together. A must see.