“hard to find and not worth the effort”

Yangtze Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I ordered the shrimp and lobster sauce and it was the blandest one I have ever had. No egg to be found and the sauce tasted like soy sauce, water and corn starch were the only ingredients. Be aware if you have ever had versions with a little garlic or black bean added that this version has none of that. It was loaded with waterchestnuts. Almost was a subgum chow mein but made with waterchestnuts. I worked in an award winning Chinese restaurant when I was in college and how this one was voted high in local contests is unbelievable. The restaurant is tucked away behind the Doubletree Hotel in a location that is invisible from the street but can be seen from the freeway ramp if you look down. If bland is what you are looking for then this is your place.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

After visiting the MIA Terra Cotta Warriors, we felt it only fitting to dine Chinese - we have driven past this wonder for YEARS, never dreaming the unimpressive exterior held such culinary delight!! Oh the treat we were to discover! The wait staff was excellent, explained the dishes, attentive to needs, wanted us to enjoy our repast - and we did! Everything tasted so fresh and such delicate flavors that tickled and sparked the taste buds - we oohed and ahhhed over every bite and have vowed to make this a regular stop.

1  Thank clnelsen
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I'm an American born Chinese who grew up going to Dim Sum places in the New York City. Out of the dozen or so different plates I had on a recent visit to this restaurant probably a half were sub par, two were good and the rest were okay. Selection is part and parcel of Dim Sum and the dozen different plates I sampled were easily 90% of the what was offered.

I'd guess the Super Moon Buffet a short distance away from this restaurant is rightfully taking business away from this restaurant. The food quality is pretty much the same between the two places, but the Super Moon Buffet is considerably less expensive.

Mandarin Kitchen is significantly better than Yangtze for Dim Sum in my experience.

1  Thank ray916mn
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Minnesota is woefully short of Dim Sum Restaurants, so for some time we have been searching for a good Dim Sum. The first one we tried was Jumbo's. It started out ok but seemed to decline and eventually closed. Since their closing we've searched the web for another place and have found a few but they seemed to be opened on weekends only and of course located in the Twin Cities. Living about an hour plus from the Cities we do not often get there on weekends. Last weekend we did find ourselves spending the night there so on Sunday about 12:30pm we (a group of six) arrived at the restaurant.

What we found was a very busy, very loud and very congested restaurant. It was obviously a very popular place. But, as mentioned it was "congested" making it hard to roll the carts around the tables, "loud" making it hard to carry on a conversation, and "busy" making it difficult to get the attention of the wait staff. Most of all, we were not overly impressed with the food. Overall it was maybe just average in both taste and selection.

But as I said, it was very busy so it apparently ours is not an opinion shared by all, or maybe it just speaks to the need for more Dim Sum in Minnesota.

We've tried Dim Sum in San Fran, Chicago, China and Taiwan with good results. Still looking in Minnesota.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I had dinner at Yangtze for the first time this week and was very impressed with the food as well as the service.To start with I ordered Egg Drop mixed with Wonton soup and the Barbeque Pork appetizer (with the sauce on the side) both of which were perfectly prepared. For my main course I ordered Barbeque Pork Chow Mei Fun (was not on the menu but prepared at my request) that was as good as or better than I've had before (one of my favorite dishes which I have had many times in many different Chinese restaurants). The food was served hot off of the stove (just the way I like it) and the meal was not rushed. My server was extremely friendly and checked frequently to make sure that everything was meeting my expectations.