“Lively bar crowd with decent fare”
Review of Figlio - CLOSED

Figlio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Duke Drive
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Lively bar crowd with decent fare”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

For those that used to remember, Figlio used to be located in Calhoun Square in Uptown but has been moved to West End near the theater and other retail shops/restaurants. The bar area has been very lively ever time I have been here but it has not been that hard to get the bartenders attention to grab a beer. I'd give the beer selection on draft a C+ with some local options on tap. The do have seating in the bar area but it is all reserved and you have to put your name on the list to get a table. The servers have all been very good when I have been here. So far I have had the calamari, lamb meatballs, and pepperoni pizza. All were pretty decent but not stand outish. Overall, a decent place to grab a drink or bite before seeing a movie but I wouldn't go out of my way to come here.

• Visited December 2012

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Good standard fare.”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Figlio's is in the space of Sopranos in the West End shopping area. It is a new management which has bought the name and recipes. The area is very large and the bar is off to one side. I was there for a lunch and a dinner. At lunch they close off some of the larger areas and you the can find a quieter seating. When I was there for dinner , everything was open and the bar was full as we're the tables there. Seemed to get a lot of the after work crowd. Very noisy on that side.
Both times I ordered the ravioli as that is my favorite. That is one of the Figlio original recipes.
At lunch I had the caprase salad which was made with orange plastic type tomatoes. The ravioli was very good and I did not take any home. We didn't order any desserts as I was not tempted by the choices. I enjoyed the place both times but wouldn't call it a foodie place but rather a more convenient place to meet.

“All Hype, Unfortunately”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had high hopes for the new Figlio location in West End but was disappointed on two separate visits:

First, the pros: Location is great. The staff are knowledgeable and friendly. The bar is packed and full of patrons (appeared to mostly be business professionals). Service was quick and drink refills aplenty.

Now, the rest: You will likely wait an hour for a table if you don't make a reservation in advance. Plan to wait even if you do use www.opentable.com for an advance reservation. Set your expectations low (and I mean really low) on the food. Over the course of two separate visits, our groups tried appetizers, salads and entrees and each was disappointing in it's own way (e.g., overcooked and tough chicken skewers, super small portion of calamari under a pound of jalapenos, peanut chicken pineapple salad that a 1st grader could prepare, tasteless ravioli, etc.). Parking in the ramps is good if you can find a spot but after work, it can be super packed. I used valet the evening I went at 6:15pm. The sign posted a $4 charge for valet. I handed the valet a $5 bill and was never presented with an option of change. Seriously?

Suffice it to say, we will not be returning. Rojo is just a few steps away, so that will remain our go-to option.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Everyone else's food was ok or good; mine was mis-designed and mis-executed.”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Okay, so a pickled pineapple & peanut chicken salad may have seemed like an unrealistic amalgam, but hey, I've been pleasantly surprised before. In this case, there were problems:
+ the 'pickled pineapple' was very thin slices of whole baby pineapple. it was fairly dry, the color of ginger, and tasted totally like ginger and no flavor at all of pineapple. (In fact, at one point a few of us thought it was impossibly large sushi-like gari ginger)
+ the chicken was simply too-large-for-one-mouthful slices of chicken laid on the side.
+ the peants were dry roasted peants tossed in - with no moisture for them to hold on to, gravity worked its magic and they collected at the bottom of the dish
+ the romaine's dressing was simply a touch of very light oil; no flavor, nothing in common with the rest of the ingredients, and dry enough not help other foods bond.
+ there was one pineapple chunk in the salad - not sure what it was doing there.

I will be willing to go back, but not for a while, and will go back with an unadventurous hesitancy.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank djlund999
“Awfully slow service!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

No idea what their food is like but the service was terrible! My fiance and I visited Figlio a couple of days ago before a movie. We were seated right away and our order was taken pretty quickly but it took 20 minutes to get our drinks and over 45 minutes later our appetizer was just coming out despite the fact that everything we ordered had been from the bar menu. At that point we had to cancel our order and leave without dinner....and they still charged us for the appetizer that came out seconds before we cancelled the order and didn't have time to eat.