“Loved the hotel, not their 'guaranteed reservations'”

Springhill Suites Minneapolis West/St. Louis Park
Reviewed June 14, 2006

The hotel was very clean, every amenity you could think of. We arrived at 10 pm with a guaranteed, paid reservation for a room for 5 (2 adults, 3 children) and 2 queen beds, for 3 nights, and were told there were no more rooms with 2 beds, only rooms with one king bed and a love seat sofa bed pull-out, no other options. Needless to say, we spent an awful night sleeping crammed together. The next morning we were told to pack up all our belongings and bring them to the front desk by 10 am, and at noon they might have a room for us with two beds. With 3 children on an 8-day road trip this was very inconvenient and time-consuming. We did get another room with 2 beds, but the hassle was inexcusable to a travel-weary Mom with a family of five.

Aside from the poor service in this area, the beds and pillows (once we had enough of them!) were the most comfortable I have ever had in a hotel. The breakfast on the 3 days we were there was good, but understaffed and too limiting of time of breakfast available-done at 9:30 on weekdays and done at 10 am on Saturday and Sunday. Coffee /tea was available 24/7. Business center internet service was down all 3 days I was there.

• Stayed: June 2006

Brookings, South Dakota
Reviewed September 8, 2005

Our stay was great! Breakfast was good, albeit a bit crowded on Saturday mornings. We had a mixup with some Bonus coupons, and Courtney the assistant manager was awesome! So courteous and went out of her way to make sure we were satisfied with our stay! Location of the hotel is excellent, right off I394, close to downtown...

• Stayed: September 2005
Reviewed July 19, 2005

My family stayed here for 1 night on vacation in July 2005. Nothing negative to say about his hotel. As with most "all-suite" hotels, they use the term "suite" rather liberally. Our suite was a large room that had a half-dividing wall between the beds and the sitting area (not a separate room).

The room was clean, the beds were comfortable, the staff was friendly, and the free breakfast was good. The pool and jacuzzi areas were very nice too.

It's a good location a few miles west of downtown Minneapolis, right on the freeway. Our room was on the side away from the freeway so we did not hear any excessive noise from cars. There is a TGIFridays right across the street.

If in the area, we'll stay here again. No complaints.

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank gbthomas66
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed May 6, 2005

Desk folks were very nice and knowledgeable. Housekeeping was friendly and seemed to do a good job. Enjoyed the refrigerator and micro in the room. They also have high speed computer hook up at the desk in your room (suite). A great convenience to check on things back home. Free breakfast had sausage, egg patties, boiled eggs and a couple of those waffle makers. Personally, I love the freshly made waffles better than homemade ones. Definitely will return whenever I'm in the area. Very pleasant place and very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rochester, MN
Reviewed September 25, 2004

We spent one Saturday night here in a king spa suite. The room was very clean, the jacuzzi was clean, the bathroom was large, but the sleeping area was rather cramped. The issue we had was with the smoke detector in the room. We had a nonsmoking room, and we were not smoking in the room. About 9:00 p.m., we had returned to the room from dinner, and the smoke detector began to beep about once an hour, but it would only beep once. We tried to ignore it. At 2:00 a.m., the beeping increased to about once every 30-45 minutes. By 4:00 a.m., it was beeping once every 4-5 minutes. I tried calling the front desk. I got no answer. I got dressed and walked to the front desk. No one was there. When I returned to the room, we tried putting up with it. At 4:30 a.m., my husband got dressed and went to the front desk. He met the attendant returning to the front desk. He informed the staff person of the problem, and the staff person accompanied my husband back to the room at approximately 4:50 .m. and removed the smoke detector from the ceiling, stating he would turn it in to Maintenance in the morning and have them follow up with the problem, and that maybe now we could get a little sleep. We had to get up at 6:00 a.m., so we ended up with about an hour of sleep. When we checked out, the (different) front desk attendant said "Oh, you were the ones that had the problem with the smoke detector." We said yes, and I again explained the problem we had. It was then that I learned that the person that removed the smoke detector at 4:50 a.m. was the general manager. If this had been a Radisson or Hilton property, I am sure we would have been moved to another room WITH a smoke detector for our safety and had the rate reduced for our incovenience. Not so at this property. We will stay at the Doubletree nearby the next time we are in St. Louis Park, or we will stay in downtown Minneapolis or even in Eagan. Also, the breakfast IS the standard continental breakfast, almost identical to the Holiday Inn Express. This would be a good no-frills hotel for the business traveler who requires little to no service, but I do not believe we were compensated appropriately for the problem we had with the smoke detector that needed its batteries replaced!!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alton, IL
Reviewed February 2, 2003

This hotel is great! So clean and the breakfast is awesome- so much more than I expected!

I was visiting family in the area and it is very convenient to downtown, but in a very nice area with restaurants and shopping all around it.

My kids loved the pool and the staff (especially at breakfast) and my husband was actually able to get some work done during our trip.

All in all, I would highly recommend it!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
summit, NJ
Reviewed January 21, 2003

This is a brand new hotel, part of the Marriott Chain, all their rooms are suites! The price I paid for the room was the same as the prices at the hotel across the highway on a previous trip and that was for a plain old room. They give you a great free breakfast that is more than just donuts and coffee, they had bagels, eggts, waffles cereal, pastries, almost anything you would want for breakfast. They are close to Minneapolis too, just 3 miles to the downtown and the convention center. They have an indoor pool and whirlpool, and an exercise room. They also offered to me a discount pass to a local full service health club. I was able to have my food delivered right to my suite from the Friday's restaurant that is right next door. There are also other restaurants that deliver food to the hotel too. They give you free local calls and a free newspaper. This hotel offered me great value for the money I paid and I was able to stay in a SUITE! Plus I got Marriott reward points. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Minneapolis on business or pleasure.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Louis Park
Homewood Suites Minneapolis - St Louis Park at West End
Homewood Suites Minneapolis - St...
#1 of 7 in Saint Louis Park
TownePlace Suites Minneapolis West/St. Louis Park
TownePlace Suites Minneapolis We...
#4 of 7 in Saint Louis Park
Doubletree by Hilton Minneapolis - Park Place
Doubletree by Hilton Minneapolis...
#2 of 7 in Saint Louis Park
Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis (Golden Valley)
Minneapolis Marriott West
Minneapolis Marriott West
#5 of 7 in Saint Louis Park
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis-Minnetonka

Been to Springhill Suites Minneapolis West/St. Louis Park? Share your experiences!