“Very relaxing stay, and they corrected a mistake”

Homewood Suites Minneapolis - St Louis Park at West End
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I am a HHonors gold member who stayed at this hotel as a reward stay for 2 nights. It was some time for my spouse and I to be alone without our kids. Definite thumbs up overall. As with any Homewood Suites Excellent breakfast and dinner during Mon-Thur (assuming you like the dinner menu) all for free. Have to say that is a big deal to me. Loved the interior decorating in the rooms, the rooms overall, and some free DVD's to watch while we were in the hotel. I wasn't given my room preference even when I called ahead, but was later apologized to when the hotel owned up to the service mistake and compensated me. Hence, I give them and excellent rather than very good.

Nice area with lots of restaurants nearby, movie theater, and many other attractions. Great access to the freeway system of the twin cities. Good high speed internet which was free and of decent speed. Comfortable beds, decent bathrooms but the tub is a bit small. The workout room is OK, plenty of treadmills and other aerobic machines (though they should have fans) dumbbells of various sizes, but weak on lower body strength training. They have a pool which is nice, but they don't have a hot tub which I think is a deficiency for a hotel like this. Business center seemed nice but didn't use it.

I can see what other reviewer's mean with the staff not being organized and there being some services issues, but the hotel seems to be trying to address these issues with varying success. Overall lives up to the Homewood Suites name and clearly a thumbs up, but certainly not as nice or friendly as some others Homewood Suites I have been to.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 15, 2010

My colleagues and I have spent 50 nights or more in Minneapolis over the last several months. St. Louis Park is a great area to stay in. There's lots of shopping and dining. It's also in close proximity to downtown.

Our company has a global rate agreement with Hilton brands and until now, we've had excellent service. So please don't take this as a slam on Hilton or Homewood Suites. This is just our very unpleasant experience with one manager at this particular Homewood Suites.

We chose to try out the new Homewood Suites across from the Doubletree we normally stay at and regret that choice. Two business days before our stay we were notified by email that our reservations were being cancelled because another group was extending their stay. The manager, Holly Crompton, handled the situation in an unacceptable manner. Thankfully, I am a Hilton Honors member and contacted HHonors customer care line. They were so kind to help us find other accommodations.

Normally, we wouldn't have thought twice and moved back to the Doubletree, but there was a convention going on in Minneapolis and ALL hotels of same value/service were booked solid.

Needless to say, we'll be booking at the Doubletree where the management staff is kind and professional.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank spickney
hcrompton, General Manager at Homewood Suites Minneapolis - St Louis Park at West End, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

I would like to sincerely apologize for this situation in having to offer to move these guests to our sister hotel that is about a 1/2 mile from our hotel. We did have a group that unexpectedly extended their stay the day I informed this guest that I had arranged for alternate accommodations with all of the same services and amenities. I did have a conversation with this guest and also offered Hilton bonus points for the inconvenience of having to change hotels 3 days prior to their arrival. Although I was unable to accomodate them at this hotel, I additionally offered them a complimentary dinner at a local restaurant across the street. Again, I would like to sincerely apologize that this situation even needed to occur. We definitely value all of our guests and understand the importance of repeat business.We are always striving to provide exceptional outrageous service at all times.

Reviewed July 1, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a one night getaway. Great location, lots of restaurants, shops movie theater all right next door. Parking was great, always plenty of spaces. Breakfast was delicious and a nice selection. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
hcrompton, General Manager at Homewood Suites Minneapolis - St Louis Park at West End, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We sincerely appreciate these comments. We look forward to accommodating you in the near future.

Reviewed June 6, 2010

This a lovely property in a great location with terrible management. I am member of a group of approximately forty business professionals in the West Twin Cities Metropolitan area. In January 2010, prior to the St. Louis Park, Minnesota Homewood Suites' opening, our group contracted for weekly use of the Homewood Suites' conference room. We signed a 2 year contract. We have paid our obligation to the hotel in a timely manner and have actually booked additional time in the conference room on occasion. The members of our group have also booked the conference room for unrelated business events and meetings. Unfortunately, the hotel has breached their obligation to our group on 3 different occasions over a 5 month period by bumping us from our space with short notice. We were recently informed that Homewood Suites no longer intended to uphold the two-year contract they entered into with our group and we were asked for find a new facility for our weekly meetings as soon as possible. I am terribly disappointed by the lack of professionalism and business ethics that is being shown by the Homewood Suites Management. Further, this action may have a significant negative impact on Homewood Suites and Hilton properties as I believe most, if not all, of the 40 successful business people in our group will share our negative experiences with others and recommend that our partners, colleagues, business associates, and families avoid doing business with Homewood Suites and other Hilton properties in the future. If you require a guarantee of service or accommodations for business, events, weddings, or simply a personal stay, I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Rebecca_K_S
hcrompton, Manager at Homewood Suites Minneapolis - St Louis Park at West End, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2010

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. As you are aware we spoke with the organizer of your on going meetings and provided him with a 45-day notification that our meeting room was no longer available due to an increase in demand by guests who book not only the meeting room but also support our core business of hotel rooms as well. With the Economic struggles we needed to ensure we were making the best business decisions for our company. We did, in fact, try to help your group find other accommodations that would be suitable for your group size. Additionally, I believe your group continues to use our meeting space when it is available; it is scheduled for three dates in June. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused to you personnally and have resolved this with the organizer of your meetings specifically. I would welcome the opportunity to visit with you personnally if you do have any further concerns. We do appreciate your partnership.
Homewood Suites Management Team

Reviewed May 30, 2010

This homewood suite is nestled inside a small dining and shopping complex. There is a grocery store next door and a movie theater as well. I was in for the Twins game and the Science museum in St. Paul and both were very easily accessible thanks to the location of the hotel which is right next to the highway. Dining in the area includes Crave, Olive garden, Chilis etc. The hotel itself seems brand new and quiet. I saw maybe 2 or 3 people staying there during my 4 night stay. I stayed in a 2 bedroom 3 bed suite with a family room, kitchen and 2 bathrooms/showers. Plenty of space to stretch out after a night in town. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
hcrompton, Manager at Homewood Suites Minneapolis - St Louis Park at West End, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2010

Reviewed May 28, 2010

Homewood Suites are a wonderful chain and this new property in a great location is promising, but seams to be missing a key characteristic common in other Homewood suites, happy employees that care.

I was amazed at the apathetic attitude of EVERYONE. Simple things like saying good morning or hello are no where to be found. Responsiveness to problems is a very low priority. For example, it was unusually warm in the Twin Cities on my visit, and one of the AC in the room was ungodly noisy. After I complained, instead of sending up a engineer or maintenance person, the no personality (major attitude) manager came up and basically "kicked" the unit. The noise went away for a minute, but he said they tech person would look at it in the morning. Next night when i returned to the room, unit was again LOUD, and when i called, the same pathetic manager showed up. He failed to mentioned it to the maintenance person and then said that the the maintenance guy was at their other property and would not be able to fix it that night. He promised it would get done the next day. Sure enough, that DID NOT HAPPEN, and the next day it rattled away.

I'm illustrating one issue above, but the apathetic attitude about everything was pervasive. My hunch is the attitude starts at the top and festers its way down. Hopefully, a new management team or ownership will take over.. I'd recommend the well run Doubletree Hotel accross the street instead of this property.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank ClashJam

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I take these comments very seriously; feedback from our guests will only help us improve our hotel. I want to sincerely apologize that the service received while you were staying here did not meet your expectations. We always strive to exceed our guests' expectations, provide excellent customer service, and clean comfortable suites.

Reviewed February 16, 2010

Hotel was welcoming, clean, and comfortable. Staff was attentive and helpful. Property was conveniently designed and offered everything we needed at a competitive price.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We look forward to accommodating you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Louis Park
Doubletree by Hilton Minneapolis - Park Place
Doubletree by Hilton Minneapolis...
#2 of 7 in Saint Louis Park
Springhill Suites Minneapolis West/St. Louis Park
Springhill Suites Minneapolis We...
#3 of 7 in Saint Louis Park
TownePlace Suites Minneapolis West/St. Louis Park
TownePlace Suites Minneapolis We...
#4 of 7 in Saint Louis Park
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis / West-Minnetonka
3 mi away
Minneapolis Marriott West
Minneapolis Marriott West
#5 of 7 in Saint Louis Park
Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis (Golden Valley)

Been to Homewood Suites Minneapolis - St Louis Park at West End? Share your experiences!