“Wonderful food, service lacking...”
Review of Bello Cucina

Bello Cucina
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We love the food here and must say we've had good service in the past. Tonight, not so much.
Our 10th anniversary, we were willing to splurge a bit. I ordered a white wine with my salad but even mentioned that I would be interested in a William Gordon with my entree. By the time my husband had to wave someone down for refills on his soda and for anyone, let alone our server to clear his soup dish, we felt very unimportant.
I didn't bother asking for the wine, which I will admit I was looking forward to. Our server was not rude, but just indifferent....we felt like just another number.
We often tip 20%....this time less than 15%. Little did she know we wanted to spend more.....how often does that happen.

1  Thank Becky B

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We received a $100 gift card to Bello Cucina from a friend, and decided to use it on a Saturday evening. I went to Trip Advisor to see if there were any meal recommendations, and I have to say I lowered my expectations after reading some of the reviews. In fact, I warned my family ahead of time that we may be disappinted. I have to say, we were not disappointed one bit, and it was a very pleasant dinner. My husband, who travels a great deal for work, said this was one of the best places he has been to. I called and made reservations ahead of time, and was greeted by a very nice hostess. When we arrived, we were early for our reservation, but were seated right away. I ordered a Bloody Mary and my husband had a house tap. My two children had Rootbeer from a bottle. My Bloody Mary was very good. I am a Bloody Mary snob- but this was made just right. We were then given bread to snack on. We ordered an artichoke dip that was also very good. My children had the cheese pizza. You could see it was made from a stone oven. My husband had the chicken fettuccine alfredo, and I had a spicy alfredo penne. For dessert, we had a brownie sundae and a white chocolate cheesecake. The portions were great. The food was absolutely delicious. And, the service was timely. I dropped one star for a few things... When we arrived, one of the waitresses was eating a cup of soup near the hostess stand. (A little tacky for a finer dining establishment.) Our waitress wasn't bubbly, as noted by other reviewers. I like to see my waitress smile when I go out to eat. She didn't look liks she wanted to be there. We had to work on her a bit. I also don't like to see the waitstaff cut the complimentary bread. I once waitressed, and I know how dirty those hands are. It really should be prepped in the kitchen- not in the same area everyone is walking. Finally, I like a salad with my pasta. You usually get a salad with your meal at other Italian restaurants. This was an extra charge. I don't know- maybe that's normal now. Overall, it's a good place to eat. Our booth was comfortable and private. A little spendier- we used our gift card.

4  Thank 2much4us2see
Reviewed December 27, 2013

All things considered (central MN small college town, cold weather & the day after Christmas) we had a lovely leisurely meal. Two of us had seared rare ahi tuna Nicoise-style salad that was huge and very good with a glass of sparkling wine; another had well prepared pasta dish too. Asked for some balsamic vinegar to mix with olive oil and sampled a fruity pleasant home-made in-house version that was novel & wonderful (surprisingly so!)
The card for the restaurant states there are two more restaurants in small college towns of Morris & Fergus Falls-a noble cause to serve this niche! I'll go out of my way to dine again-for sure !!

1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We ate here during a very busy night, but Amy was a fantastic waitress that got our food out fast and was very attentive. The food was great especially for Central MN. We got a pizza to share and our salad was huge and wonderful!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I visited Bello's for the fourth time 9/13/13 for dinner (arriving at 5 pm). My party (of only 2) choose to be seated on the patio, which at the time was not crowded. Although the patio location is quite loud at times with the traffic, this cannot be avoided, is no fault of the establishment and is worth it to enjoy a beautiful summer evening. The service, not to the fault (I don't think) of our server was very, very slow. We ordered the Bruschetta for an appetizer, which probably would have been good if it was warm. The bread didn't seem grilled at all and the mozzarella on top was very cold and not melted. Shortly after we decided we had better order our entree as it was getting busy and it seemed people were waiting a very long time for their meals. Thirty minutes later and no entree. The server, flustered, brought us bread with olive oil to 'tide us over' until our dinner was ready (we had enough bread with the cold bruschetta...?) so that was weird. Once our dinner finally arrived, it was very good (Lobster Mac/Cheese and Butternut Squash Ravioli). The thing I really, really wish they would consider is adding more wine by the glass (only two varieties of Chardonnay, one Cab) and adding some California wine options. I understand this is an "itailian' eatery, but I do not care for their Chardonnay. In addition, I do not mind, and expect to pay more for a glass of wine at this type of place, but expect a better pour (tiny, tiny).

1  Thank Misswhitwhit