“Great Service / Average Facility”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Super 8 St. James

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Saint James
ROCHESTER
“Great Service / Average Facility”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We greatly appreciated your staff working with us and our changing plans. The rooms were spartan and unwelcoming in atmosphere. Color would have been a welcome addition. Bed was a box and not very comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Warrenton, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed for 8 nights at the Super 8 in St. James while visiting family in the area. We had an excellent stay! We stayed in a large two room suite with a king size bed and a sleeper sofa in the front room, which work really well travel with my little girl. An extra bonus was that both rooms had their own TV, which made it easy for cartoons in the morning. The large dressing area had a fridge and microwave which came in handy. The Super 8 staff was more than helpful and friendly during out entire stay. Most importantly to me was the fact the room was CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! The pool area was large, spacious and clean, we enjoyed it very much. Also the pillows were awesome (very important!) and the free continental breakfast with hot waffles was a nice change from fast food. I will defiantly be returning to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Burnsville, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Having grown up in this town, I return a few times a year and often stay here to relieve crowding at my Mom's. She also has started a tradition of getting several rooms for all of us to stay the week before she heads south for the winter. We eat and drink and play in the pool. They also have an adjacent room with tables and board games.

The rooms are nice, and there are a variety of suites and larger rooms. The hot tub is large, but the pool not so much.

For the most part, our stays have been comfortable and uneventful, but I have had a few issues. One beef I have is that they let people reserve the only common area(other than the lobby)that the motel has. More than once we have had to relocate our own celebration because someone took over the whole room. There is no reason to need this whole room. This is a common area for all guests and if you need a private room for your function reserve the party rooms at one of the local establishments.

The other beef I have is with the way management responded after a more serious incident we had a few years back regarding a drunk guest and a dog running loose in the building. I won't go into details now, but this experience was serious enough that we complained to management, and when that didn't suffice I called one of the owners directly(small town, everyone knows everyone). My sister also called the national corporate number to complain. I think my Mom eventually got a call from someone to apologize or somehow address the issue, but nothing ever came from anything else, and my sister never heard back from corporate, even though they "value your opinion and take every complaint seriously".

The biggest disappointment for me was that despite this train wreck of a stay not one dime of the 3 or 4 rooms we had booked was refunded. I've stayed places where they refunded my entire night's fee for a lessor complaint, and after having a bad experience at a Holiday Inn the General manager invited us back on his dime, all expenses paid, including food.

Here, nothing. From the owner, from management, from corporate. Nada. Will it stop us from staying here again? No, largely because it's the only place in town, and the next closest place is 15 miles away, and overall our experiences have been good. But again, it's how you respond to the bad things that set you apart. In that respect they failed. This town is big enough to support another chain motel, an Americinn or Holiday Inn Express. This is an underserved market, and I hope one day someone else does come in and build a nice place with a big pool/entertainment area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Angela R, General Manager at Super 8 St. James, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a review on Trip Advisor. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 507-375-4708.

Angela Rathman
Saint James
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

The receptionist was busy, but most helpful. My room was on the second floor and on one end, thus it was quiet--a real treat. The room was clean and orderly. It is located right along a major highway, but the noise was not a big problem at that time. All in all it was a pleasant stay. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

, General Manager at Super 8 St. James, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a response regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 507-375-4708.
Lebanon, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Another weekend visit with family in Mtn. Lake nearby so we returned to this Super 8. This time, we used our Corporate Lodging card and chose a downstairs regular room vs. the upstairs suite.

The price was right and the rooms are clean. There was plenty of room to park our 40' fifth-wheel next door.

We did not eat the breakfast at the hotel, but we DID enjoy a great breakfast in town at the Coffee shop.

St. James is a historic railroad town and this hotel is a great choice when in the area. We would return.

Room Tip: NO elevator for 2nd floor rooms. Wood floors in the entire building.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Candace R
Angela R, General Manager at Super 8 St. James, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to tell us about your recent stay at our hotel. I also love the picture you posted of the room you stayed in. Thank you!

As a valued guest, your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We know you have a choice in hotels and we are delighted that you chose ours. We hope to see you again!

Again, thank you for completing this online Trip Advisor review for our hotel. If I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 507-375-4708.

Angela Rathman
Lebanon, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

VERY nice surprise ....wasn't expecting anything special. Just needed a clean room for a 2 day stay to visit family. The room was bigger than expected, offered a corner fireplace, nice size desk and large bathroom.

Up stairs room with no elevator was a bit of a pain, but overall, we were pleased. We used the AARP discount for $65 rate and will stay here vs. Windom Super 8 for our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for queen suite upstairs - rooms are HUGE ...:-)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
brainerd, mn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Stopped here because of Price $40.00 cheaper . Room was clean & beds comfortable.
Ate at a hometown resturant. Good food.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Super 8 Fairmont
Super 8 Fairmont
#2 of 4 in Fairmont
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham New Ulm

Been to Super 8 St. James? Share your experiences!