“Lippy desk clerk”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Saint Cloud
Okoboji, Iowa
“Lippy desk clerk”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

After a few minutes of surly questions while trying to make a reservation, from a desk clerk with a giant attitude... I decided there are other places to stay. I think her name was ALEX. it's the first HIE that refused to take the Priority Club number.
I would stay in a Sears tent before staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Kerri B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
MikeT,

I apologize your experience making a reservation was unsatisfactory. I will take steps to ensure this doesn't happen again. Please accept my sincerest apology, I have also sent a private message to you.

Kerri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The location was conveniently right off expressway. A bit isolated with respect to restaurants, but not far of a drive to get to more choices.

The room was a bit more spacious than many in this brand/class, it was clean and the bed comfortable. The heater/air conditioner was whisper quiet on the low fan setting - very nice. I never heard anything from outside my room.

The front desk was efficient and courteous.

Overall, virtually everything that one could want in a hotel for comfort and good sleeping.

The breakfast bar for the one morning that I was there was a bit slow getting completely set up, which caused a problem for me because I had an early appointment. Other HI Express hotels that I have experienced generally handle this aspect better. (The young lady handling setup was inefficient, just one thing in her hand as she walked out each time - she could use more training).

My only gripe was that the breakfast room had one garbage can (that I found), at it was still full (and I mean FULL) from the previous day's breakfast.

Nevertheless, I would return.

Room Tip: If you like second floor rooms, but hate elevators, there are stairs in the lobby that make for a co...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kerri B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
SGillinois,

Thank you so much for writing a review on Trip Advisor. Wow! "Nearly flawless in achieving brand expectation" We strive to give every guest the best expierence possible during their stay. We will continue training our breakfast attendant to meet guest expectations. Again, thank you for the review and we will see you soon!

pella, Iowa
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have stayed at various hotels in St Cloud, this is the best one I have stayed at. Room was clean, beds comfortable and the breakfast in the morning was excellent. I will stay again if I am in St Cloud again. The only suggestion I have is for the front desk staff to have more help. Despite being short handed they never looked stressed or annoyed

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kerri B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Galwaywren,

We are happy to hear this was the best hotel in St Cloud you have stayed at. Finding a very clean room, comfortable bed and an excellant breakfast. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you again for the review on Trip Advisor.

Albert Lea, Minnesota
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I don’t normally post reviews, but after my recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express I felt compelled to do so. My daughter and I were in town to visit the university where she is thinking about attending college. Personally, I do not know much about the area and thought this was an important “fact finding mission” about where I was sending my only daughter. I must say it was a very pleasant experience that made me confident me that the people in the area look out for one another. My check-in went smoothly and I was even given an SCSU rate when the front desk staff inquired into the reason for my stay. Rooms were well kept and breakfast was what one would expect. When I returned from dinner at RJ I was approached by a group of very dirty individuals selling “junk” off a flat bed trailer. This did not make me feel safe at this hotel. Concerned, I informed the desk staff whom immediately took action to take care of the situation to have them removed. For this reason, I will continue to stay at the Holiday Inn Express when I visit my daughter at SCSU and I’m secure in the fact that the hotel will take action when I feel that safety is being jeopardized.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank duckhunter64
Kerri B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
duckhunter64,

Thank you for writing a review regarding the encounter you had in our parking lot. I am so happy staff took immediate steps to ensure safety for all guests. We look forward to your return during your daughters college days.

Again, thank you for the review.
Saint Martin, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have an all staff meeting every 4 months. We have 6 of our field staff stay at this hotel. The service is great and we had an after work get together in their breakfast room. It worked great for a get together for about 25 people.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kerri B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
LoriD,

I am happy to hear you received great service and the breakfast bar fit your needs. As always, let us know if we can make it better. Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor and we'll see you in four months!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite at this hotel. The bed was comfortable, and the room was extremely clean. Beyond that, it wasn't that great. The furniture and decor seems VERY old. The 1 bedroom suite didn't seem much larger than a standard room (like they just added a wall in the middle). The living room area was very dark, and every lighting fixture seemed to have a different color bulb (some seemed like bug lights). Proper lighting seems like such a cheap way to make a room seem nicer...just use the normal type of bulbs that people would use in their home (not in a bug light).

Checking in took forever. They were not busy, but the front desk clerk took a very long time to check us in. It was hard getting a luggage cart, and at one point saw a hotel worker using one to haul a bucket and tools. The complimentary breakfast was a nice amenity, but I agree with other reviewers that they need to staff this with two people, and not just one. There was one woman working to refill everything, and she seemed extremely overwhelmed. At one point, something with the juice machine broke, and she was so angry and frustrated that she literally threw the piece across the counter. I felt bad that she was overwhelmed, but I was also surprised that she'd behave that way in front of guests.

Overall, I'd say this place has the potential to be a lot better if some of the employees just cared about doing their job better. We'll probably try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kerri B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Sunny1941,

We are happy to hear you found your room extremely clean. We are so excited that our remodel has begun and includes the items you mentioned; new furnishings, carpet, wall treatments, lighting and a new breakfast bar/lounge area. We will have a completely new look when it is completed!

However, I am very disappointed in the way the breakfast bar staff dealt with the juice machine problem, please accept my sincerest apology. I would encourage you to stay with us the next time your in town so we may show you we truely care about our guests stay.

Denver
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My family and I spent a night here while vacationing in the St. Cloud area. The front desk crew were friendly & very accomodating. The room was clean and comfortable which is what I expected after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. The morning breakfast buffet was hot & ready and thankfully the coffee was plentiful. The location was perfect for getting to local resturants and the the interstate for our drive to the Twin Cities the next morning. The next time I'm in St. Cloud I will stay here for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kerri B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Tom L,

I am glad to hear we lived up to the reviews for cleanliness, friendliness and being accomodating! We believe our location is perfect, easy to access and close enough to central St Cloud. Thank you for making our hotel your location of choice.