“Everything You Need In a Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud

Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Saint Cloud
Lancaster, PA
“Everything You Need In a Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I usually stay in Choice Hotels, but stayed at this Holiday Inn Express because of proximity to an early morning business meeting. I was extremely impressed! The entire hotel is very clean and the front desk staff was cordial at check-in. I had a room with two queen beds and the bedding was quite comfortable. I was greeted at breakfast by the Holiday Inn Expresstrademark smell of cinnamon buns! I don't eat that kind of stuff but they had eggs and sausage as well. The coffee was better than what I normally get at Choice Hotels. All in all I would recommend this hotel to any business or pleasure traveler!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We are so happy you were pleased with your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future. With so many choices in lodging we strive to ensure our guests are comfortable and have a great experience with us. Thank you for the wonderful feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Having had to spend a week in St Cloud, Mn I picked what I thought was a sure bet for a hotel. I was wrong. This is an old outdated HIE. As a Priority Club member I frequent HIE's. This was nothing like the ones I am accustomed to. The room had a refrigerator but no microwave. The air conditioner sounds like it is grinding nails and is so loud I have to have the closed captions on the tv or I can't "hear" it. The sheets were thread bare and full of pills and feel like an old dish rag. They must wash them on site as they are all wrinkled and flimsy. The breakfast area is tiny and the "preparation" area is messy and leaves doubt about cleanliness. An elderly woman running the breakfast seemed disgruntled and answered my Good Morning with the response of "Is it?". At 0630 in the morning when I came down for breakfast there was a small child bundled up in a blanket sleeping. As there was no one else in the breakfast area I assumed an employee had to bring an ill child to work rather than leave him in day care. It made the small lobby feel even smaller. Another morning an elderly gentleman was running the breakfast area and literally shoved me aside from the buffet bar to remove an empty hot food dish. I felt unwelcomed and insignificant. The rooms are dingy and the funiture old and outdated. I hope Holiday Inn takes a close look at this property. A new sign will not make up for what is inside.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MissyAnne9
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. On behalf of myself and my staff we would like to apologize for the issues you had encountered and can assure you that they have been addressed. If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact myself at 320-240-8000.
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

As a traveller I believe first impressions are lasting and if bad, it usually only gets worse, welcome to the HIE in St.Cloud.
As a paying customer for a service you do expect a service, they are the experts in their field, except at the HIE St.Cloud. The beginning, after asking for directions to a place in St.Cloud and spending an extra half hour driving around with the HIE map and scribbled lines to a general vicinity and the "some where overhere I dont got time" directions I was given started me thinking ok bad day no prob.
The Check In, after waiting at the counter to check in for 15 to 20 minutes while a return customer (for what reason I will never know) battled it out about their reservation and both front desk people tried to calm and assist the customer, I thought hmm 1st impressions may be correct.
Checking into the room was fine but usually you want an air conditioner to blow nice cool air not a nice cool mist of water. Waking up in the morning felt like I had been in a cold shower all night.
Lets see where to go next...ah yes the pool thankfully I never went swimming but my 12 year old did he thought the pool water was neat as it had a nice general green hue to it, he was not the only child that got sick and the common denominator, you guessed it the pool.
Found our floor to be wet on the second morning as someone overfilled the pool/hot tub.
The garbage left stacked in the hallway had nice decorative appeal but did start to get old after the 3rd or 4th hour in the hallway and finally the lack of towels and or room cleaning sealed the deal with me that my first impression will continue to be my lasting impression of the HIE in St.CLoud and I am certain I will NEVER stay here again. Good luck if you do if you don't you have missed nothing.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear SPCANUCK,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

As a priority club member and very frequent patron of HIE, I had the misfortune to spend 6 nights in this HIE. It did not live up to the expectation one expects at a HIE! In fact it did not live up to the expectations of any reasonable hotel.

First off, the indoor pool was filthy! My kids expected to see geese or ducks swimming in it! Heck, Troy from Swamp People would have been right at home!!

Secondly, the breakfast almost always ran out of food throughout our stay. If you were near the breakfast area 5 or 10 minutes before the end, the attendent would not replenish the breakfast. In fact, upon a guests request 5 minutes before closing, I witnessed her give them two pieces of bread for breakfast and expected them to be happy!

In addition, my A/C did not work properly and after hotel attempts to repair it, it remained half working while we sweated it out.

Lastly, the breakfast area was off limits for guests sitting down having a coffee and visiting after breakfast hours. According to front desk staff, this room had to be rented at $75 per night or something! So much for a common area!!

As I was part of a group, many of these issues were brought to the attention of hotel management, and satisfaction for the group was not met! Had we not been with the group we would have checked out of this nightmare on elm street and found a motel 2 or whatever!

Please HIE, maintain some corporate standards with some of these properties!!!

4 Thank DJRCanada
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear DJRCanada,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the cleanliness of the pool, limited breakfast and faulty air conditioning. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

My teenage son and I spent one night at the Holiday Inn Express in St Cloud on our recent road trip to Wisconsin Dells. As with other hotel brands, Holiday Inn Expresses can be hit or miss; however, this location would rank as one of the better ones.

To start at check-in, the front desk staff were cheerful and helpful. When the first room we were given wasn't to our liking (it was a smoking room), they very quickly reassigned us to a nicer non-smoking double queen room. They also assisted us by providing directions to a very good pizza restaurant downtown.

The room itself was clean and a decent size. We thought the pool was a good size, too. The pool wasn't overly busy even though it turned out that the hotel was fully booked the night we were there. A table tennis game in the pool area also kept my son and I busy for a while. The breakfast selection was decent with both hot and cold options; we had no problem finding seating (although we did eat fairly early to get ready for the next leg of our trip). As noted by others, the hotel's location is on the interstate and not near the centre of St Cloud which, in our case, was a positive.

This was the second time we had stayed at this hotel...the first was about five years ago. It continues to remain a good choice.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express in St. Cloud. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you stay with us again the future.
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Stayed for one night in May on my way to North Dakota. Clean, friendly and comfortable. Not much in the vicinity except for a very good resturant in the plaza (Behind the Pilot Gas Station) that is worth a stop by itself (RJ's American Grill) - its an easy walk.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sarah D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Cloud, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate you choosing our property on your recent trip and we look forward to having you stay with again in the future.
Detroit Lakes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

This Hotel was very clean and nice. The location was not the best; it's about 7 miles from Crossroads mall and the main part of town. The pool area was nice but the pool is very small. The hot tub was actually hot which was nice. The free breakfast was very good. The staff was very friendly

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate you taking time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding our property and we hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.