“Nice place to stay, but further from the airport than I thought.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Cloud West
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Saint Cloud
Gilbert, AZ
“Nice place to stay, but further from the airport than I thought.”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The room was great and the service excellent. Appreciated the chocolate chip cookies that were available 24/7. The Inn is within walking distance of a couple of good restaurants. The free breakfast was varied and good. Came in late and left early so it is hard to write a lengthy review.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Peterson, MN
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My wife and I stay at Country Inn and Suites at every opportunity because usually everything "fits"; from the price to the decor, the comfort, the staff. These places have always been "just right" for us. Not this time... not this place.
We were in town to watch our grandson play in a weekend hockey tournament. I booked our room on-line at a senior citizen rate that was familiar and comfortable. I thought it odd that my confirmation sheet did not include the price for our two-night stay, only a confirmation number and an offer to upgrade at a very attractive price. (Never happened). When we checked in, I almost didn't recognize the place. The lobby was entirely different... "old style", I remember thinking. When we entered the room, this suspicion was confirmed. All of the furnishings were from another era. The small, flat-screen TV was a brand I had never heard of, and could only be viewed from head-on. Color, what there was, would fade to faint at the slightest angle. The knotty pine furnishings had seen much better days... the bathroom sink was deeply cracked and discolored. If you stay here, be prepared to wrestle your luggage through multiple doors before you come to rest in your room. Doors to enter the building (expected) followed by doors to enter the small foyer where you access the elevator..( why? ) We ate breakfast at the hotel the first morning and despite our being very forgiving when it comes to guest breakfast, this was not on par with other Country Inns that we have frequented: Not very fresh, not very warm, not very tasty, not very original. We passed on breakfast the morning we left. On that morning I received an unexpected surprise at the front desk. I mentioned that a price for the stay was not included in my confirmation statement, so when I saw that the price for the stay was nearly $80 more than I had remembered at booking, I had no way to prove it. I learned a lesson there.
I've bashed enough. Now for the good things: In a word.. staff. You won't find a nicer bunch of friendly, helpful people, and whomever takes care of the housekeeping details surely does the best with what is found there. The room and everything in it was clean and the beds were comfortable. One big plus: the location is excellent: In a quiet neighborhood area just a few blocks from "everything". When refurbished, and it will have to be.... soon, and when booking surprises are a thing of the past..... this place will be a gem. Until then, just say, "not this time."

Room Tip: Don't pick the one we were in.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Suitemaster
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is not terrible but definitely in need of some updating...beds are hard and not very comfortable and no refrigerator or microwaves in the rooms...staff is very friendly and breakfast is typical hotel breakfast...overall not a bad place but some upgrades are definitely needed

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Front desk staff were very pleasant. The rooms could use some updating but liked the two room set up. Rooms were clean and bed comfortable. Breakfast was ok. Front desk had some nice baggy treats and cookies. Free wifi and newspaper. Hot tub and pool were fine. They sure had a lot of snow to deal with in their parking lot. I'd return.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, can not hear people walking around, elevators are quick
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Minnesota City, Minnesota
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We book a room with 3 people entered in on the country inn and suites web site. Upon arrival we got a room with a King bed only, so there wasn't adequate amount of sleeping accomidations. No pullout sofa or rollaway was available. We called the front but there was nothing they could do . I strongly feel that the website should not provide room selections that do not meet the number of people you enter on the website. We had to purchase a blow up mattress to accomidate our third person. If someone puts less people on the web site then it is their fault, but if you put the right number of people in and the room provided is not adequate or they do not have additional roll aways, then this is the hotel website issue.

I called the main customer service line at country inn and suites. The person on line indicated that it is our issue because we should have seen this on the booking form online. I don't think this is an adquate response.

I travel frequently and have stayed at country inn and suites many times. This was a dissapointing response. We did request some bedding for the blow up mattress we purchased which was provided by the staff with their appologies. Thank you to the staff for trying to help, I understand the limitations. I see this as more of an issue with the country inn and suites website than the specific hotel.

Room Tip: Clarify sleeping accomidations with staff.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Jackie K, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Cloud West, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
We regret to hear about your disappointment in the room you received. We attempt to fulfill each of our guest’s requests to the best of our ability. Prior to your next stay, we welcome you to contact us so we may discuss your accommodations in detail.
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here one night in the spring of 2013 to attend an emergency family member surgery. I told the desk I was here for an emergency and was assured they had a room. We actually booked several nights stay. We checked in and never thought to check if the water was working in the bathtub (ok, how many times does a person stay at a hotel and check to see if the water works??? Seriously???). We went to use the shower / tub in the morning only to find the water DID NOT work at all. My husband went down to ask what was going on and the maintenance man said "they knew the water did not work and they had called in a plumber to fix it". Yes...they knew there was a problem before they assigned the room to us...Shame on them!
The motel said they would not charge us for the one night and give us enough points to stay a free night at any CI&S. We had to scramble to find another motel and get to the hospital!
Ok, mistakes happen right? End of the story? At least I thought it was....
Fast forward to November 2013. I needed to go back to MN for a funeral. We booked 3 nights at the same CI&S thinking this must be a better transaction. We used our points for 2 nights at no cost and added an "upgrade" for one more night at a discounted rate. We checked in, no mention of the additional night so I asked about it. We were assured we did in fact get the additional night at a discount.
Check out time....NIGHTMARE! We were handed an invoice showing TWO additional upgrade nights (I only booked one!). We waited for more than 30 minutes while more than one person (Lori and her manager) tried to straighten it out. FYI - If you dispute anything on your account with this establishment, I highly recommend you stay there and get a corrected invoice. We were assured this situation had been corrected when we left.
Well by the time we had returned home - low and behold - there was ANOTHER charge on my credit card by CI&S. I called and talked to Lori again who forwarded me to Jackie's voice mail. Jackie called and said they "had to correct the dollar amount on their books and both the erroneous charges were hold only charges and they would drop off my account within days". I called my credit card only to be told to wait until the charges did drop off or get charged on my account. Guess what folks??? Yep, Jackie's "hold" became a new charge! I again had to call my CC company and they are filing fraud dispute charges. But sadly this is still not resolved because as I mentioned, CI&S decided to place another charge after we returned.
Long story, but just a word of warning, I will NEVER stay here again. Period!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jackie K, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Cloud West, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Columbia MD-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our service. We understand the inconvenience an unexpected charge can cause. Please contact Jackie the General Manager directly if you require additional assistance in this matter.
Bowmanville
Reviewed September 12, 2013

One night stay in a very nice room for $88 plus tax, breakfast included - just drove up and checked in. No fridge in our room but the staff carried one up and plugged one in for us - great!!! Had a swim in the great pool and relaxing hot tub. Bed was very comfy - room was clean! Free yummy cookies, fruit and fresh coffee in the foyer. Staff was very accommodating and pleasant. Breakfast was very good with many hot items including a big cooker of hot oatmeal. The desk staff even gave us a breakfast to go in a bag- apple, water, cookie, fruit - for our trip. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor - it was very quiet and restful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie K, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Cloud West, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and thank you so much for the great feedback! We hope that you choose to stay with us again the next time you visit the St. Cloud area.