“Excellent dining experience for foodies.”
Review of The Sample Room

The Sample Room
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent dining experience for foodies.”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We took my parents here to celebrate their 53 wedding anniversary. The place is cozy with just a few booths, low and high tables. I think the bar seats only 8.

The ceiling is tin, in a brown color with medallions. The walls are tastefully done in wallpaper with a faint design. There is outside seating as well. There is a bank of windows at the front that allow the sun to stream in, otherwise this is a dimly lite restaurant adding to the ambiance.

The menu is a two pages divided into sections of appetizers, cheeses, meat, seafood, vegetable, and pasta. There is one section with salads and sandwiches.

We started off with the Charcuterie which is a sample of meat sausages, pate', and pork belly. This was a great sampling and the pork belly was to die for.

We moved on to the seared scallops, red curry pork shank, the Trofie (meat pasta) and a vegetable. Later we shared two hamburgers topped with pork belly, carmalized onions and gouda cheese. Everything was amazing. The trofie was done to perfection. The meat was so tender and tangy. The scallops had a nice brown crust on top, but tender in the middle, served with a few corn fritters.

We topped our dinner off with coffee and flourless chocolate cake. Our waiter gave us raspberry infused beer to enjoy with our cake.

The service was spot on. The food was amazing, but if you're looking to eat large portions at cheap prices, don't even consider this place. This is to enjoy the experience of gourmet food. The two sou chefs were in charge last night, as the chef was off for the evening and they did him proud.

We will definitely go back.

They also have a parking lot which is great, so you don't have to park out on the busy street.

• Visited September 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Small Plates.”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The Sample room is a great little restaurant in Nordeast, they have good food and a good selection of beverages. I like the concept of it but it is best to ask your server what is the best value. Some of the selections are a lot smaller than others and you tend to wonder why one dish is valued higher than the other or vice versa. Over all I enjoy the Sample room and will be back in the future.

Visited November 2011
“what an evening”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We had dinner with two other couples.
None of us had been here before.
From the start the service was top notch.
Accomodations were made for our larger group in this smaller cozy restaurant.
But that was just the beginning.
We were offered a wonderful choice of liquid refreshments.
My wife and I had pale ales - yum.
The food was the real treat however.
What we really liked was the portion size, not the typical American super size me, stretch my belly, I think I feel my arteries clogging plates. But more European sensibly sized dishes.
It was almost tapas style.
I ordered roasted potatoes and lamb crostini, while my wife had roasted summer veggies and peppered seared tuna. We shared everything - which is what we have learned to do to get the most out our experience. We also ordered a French wine flight to go with the dinner wich was lovely.
Overall we had a fantastic evening. Great friends, great food, great times.
On the way to the car ( by the way there is off street parking) we were discussing when to come back.
Come here.

roseville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“GREAT FOOD AND FUN!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

If you like like hole in the wall places that just have a special touch this place is amazing. Great food! Always packed on the weekends. The bill can get pricey. You have to go to happy hour and get whatever burger is on special they taste like nothing you've ever had before!

Visited February 2012
Minneapolis, MN
“I can't believe I had never heard of this restaurant.”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We were trying to find a new place to try before a nearby show and decided to go to the Sample Room. They do not take reservations, but will put your name on the list if you call an hour ahead of time - do this if you're going on a weekend night to avoid a wait! We were seated promptly even though it was a full house. Our server was pleasant, but not overly attentive. The food however, was outstanding. We tried several dishes and all of them were excellent. I highly recommend giving this place a try. The only drawback might be the noise level - it is crowded and the sound level was high.

• Visited February 2012