“Used to be great, last two times, poor at best.”
Review of Willowgate

Willowgate
Ranked #58 of 101 Restaurants in Roseville
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Thai
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We used to enjoy Willow Gate II a few times a year for 15 years. Last time we went we were shocked at how bad it was. Since they had been consistently good for so many years, we decided to give it another try tonight. The best dish we had (sesame chicken) was ''ok''. The hot sour soup we enjoyed so many years is now watery and doesn't taste very good. The mushrooms in it looked old. The Kung Po chicken had a little bit of chicken, 4 pea pods and a lot of cut celery in a so-so sauce. While we were waiting for the guy to come get our order, there was 3 flies (yes flies) flying around landing on the table, the window beside us. Even the fried rice was gross. Rice, soy sauce, a little bit of egg.
There was only six of us there. They added the tip directly to the bill.
We won't be going back. Plenty of other choices around. I guess all good thing has to come to an end. Goodbye Willow Gate. Thank you for 15 years of great food.

Reviewed September 17, 2011

They offer a very large variety of lunch specials that include tea, soup or salad, fried rice and entree - all for $4.95 plus tax. Beverage extra. Very good food. We'll be back again.

Reviewed June 12, 2010

I went to Willow Gate II for a first date back in 2006 and I have been a devoted regular ever since. The staff are friendly, and they know me well enough by now that they don't even have to ask for what I want. They are quick to replenish water and the tasty complimentary tea.

Back when I ate meat, the sesame chicken was astounding, and now that I'm vegetarian, the kung pow mock duck has won my heart. Iced Tai coffee is always a treat, and the crispy cream cheese rolls are horribly addicting. They are also super chear for the qaulity of the food - $5 lunch specials? You can't beat it!

Willow Gate II is a hole in the wall that has a loyal set of followers. Don't listen to the bad reveiws, and try it for yourself. I find it to be one of the finer places to eat in Roseville, and I'm sad I don't live up there anymore, as I don't get to go as often.

PS: When I say it's good for romance - well, my first date that I mentioned went really well! And it's a great place to be a regular at with your special someone!

Reviewed April 13, 2010

I eat Chinese food all the time and can honestly say that I have never had bad Chinese food before. I didn't know it was possible. This food was awful--very dry food, stringy meat, soggy vegetables,. The hot and sour soup wasn't sour, and also wasn't warm. . The food lacked flavor. Maybe they don't use MSG. I don't know. We ate inside the restaurant--not takeout. It must be family run. The few customers that were there were on one side, and the family was eating in an adjacent, partially open room. It was hard to hear because the family was so loud. Once in a while, the waiter would float over, stand in the middle of the customer dining room, and ask if anyone needed anything. Don't go there.

3  Thank sweste
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Our regular place has closed so we thought we give Willow Gate a try. There were lots of cars in the lot, so we took that as a good sign. We ordered for take out: sweet & sour chicken, chicken and broccoli, and pork fried rice. The total: $25.15. We took it home and my first bite into the s&s chicken was into a hard, dried piece. I think they found it on the floor under the stove. A horrible taste. So I tried again with one that wasn't so hard. Still a horrible taste. My husband tried the chicken & broccoli: flavorless and dry. The pork fried rice had large chunks of pork in it but it still tasted bad. I will say that the egg rolls that came with our meals were very flavorful and some of the best I've ever had.

I ended up taking all of the food and putting it out in our garbage can. I think the flavors might improve as they rot out there.

4  Thank meggiedarlin