“Good Stuff!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2018 via mobile

It’s hard to find good Mexican food in Minnesota. This place didn’t disappoint. Good portions, though I could use more heat, and the tacos are awesome!!!

Reviewed October 19, 2018

I gotta tell you, this is not Mexican food. It is watered down, de-spiced and super bland. It is Mexican food by name and appearance only. In town for business I thought a margarita and a plate of spicy Mexican would be good on a cool evening. It was happy hour, 2 for 1 so ordering a premium margarita I had no idea these would be over 16 ounces each. I drank one and about 1/8 of the other. I don't know why they couldn't just give me one for half price, but the server Nina Z. did not offer it. She seemed very young and inexperienced. Her service was bad, but I think she tried so gave here a good tip regardless.
I ordered the Numero Cinco - two pork flautas with guacamole, sour cream and the usual rice and beans sides. Bland, bland, bland and nearly tasteless. As usual in Mexican places you get free chips and salsa. ... here it is a HUGE basket of chips, I could have filled up on that and skipped ordering food. Again, though it was a very large bowl of salsa, it was terribly bland. I will not dine here again and do not recommend it.

Frank P, Owner at Ol' Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2018

We are sorry to see that you were not satisfied with your visit. We appreciate your feedback and are bummed you did not enjoy the food. There is no excuse for poor service and we apologize for your experience. We hope that you will be willing to give us another chance to change your opinion of us.

Reviewed October 11, 2018

Four forty year friends meet yearly to plat Sheepshead. After 140 games we went for a food break. We went to Ol Mexico. Do not go on NFL Sunday’s. The bar crew is too busyt to notice anyone. No one there to seat us in a booth. Long delay, almost had us leaving. Finally, seated Teachen saved the day with her efforts as our waitress. Meal requested w/o onions. Yes, of course it came with onions. But, Teachen had them scraped off. The margarita’s were poor to watery. The dinners/ meals were fine. No room for dessert. But the initial delay and neglect says “do not return” especially on football game days.

Frank P, Owner at Ol' Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2018

Hey Joseph, thanks for taking some time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience with us. We hope you're willing to give us another shot in the future so we have the opportunity to make it up to you.

Reviewed September 3, 2018

Over the past 15-20 years we'd come for dinner and drinks 4-6 times a year. Tonight will be our last visit. Prices have sharply increased - $18 for a scant plate of mediocre carnitas, $18 for a burrito, $6.50 for a Corona or domestic beer, $3,00 for 3 tablespoons of guac, $1.75 for 2 tablespoons of sour cream, and $8.95 for "fried" ice cream that proved to be two smallish scoops of vanilla with a little caramel sauce covered with a lot of whipped cream.

If we hadn't been with friends we would have walked out.

The food quality has diminished and any semblance of value is now non-existent. It seems the last Ol' Mexico is flailing. And good riddance. For a better experience, and much better value, consider Acapulco, Boca Chica, Catrinas, Homi. or any place on the West Side,

Frank P, Owner at Ol' Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

Thanks for taking some time to leave us feedback. We're sorry to hear that you were let down by your recent visit with us. We take a lot of pride in the food we serve, so it is disheartening to hear that it did not meet your expectations. We hope you are willing to give us another shot in the future as we'd really like to have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Reviewed August 18, 2018

Always come here when we are in town for the fair was our go to place where we came and brought others. This time seems the prices have gone way up $8 for a bowl of cheese dip which tasted like it came out of a can. My go to dish Pollo Fundito A whopping $18 was so salty it was just yuk, the beans bland all the salt must have gone into the chicken.

It was Saturday around 6pm the place was very empty. Hhhmmmm somethings up guess some of the other reviews tell the story.

If I go back I will update my review but I'm not sure I will.

Frank P, Manager at Ol' Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2018

Hello Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to hear that we did not make more of a positive impression during your time with us. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and to have missed the mark in the quality of the dishes served is as disappointing as it is unacceptable. We set the bar much higher for ourselves and strive to serve only dishes prepared with the freshest ingredients in which we can take pride. We regret this was not better reflected during your visit. Please be assured that this was an isolated incident and not a true representation of our business. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to restore your confidence in us!