“Very disappointed with the service we received here”
Review of Romano's Macaroni Grill - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I have been a fan of Romano's Macaroni Grill for many years, but this is the first time I have eaten at this particular location. It is tucked into the corner of the Rosedale Mall outside of St. Paul, Minnesota. My husband and I were traveling in the area and wanted to enjoy a nice, relaxing dinner, but instead paid for a disappointing experience.

The young man who waited on us told us it was his third day on the job, so we tried to be patient, but I think the management used very poor judgment in putting a new waiter on the floor alone on a very busy Friday night. Throughout the night, the service we received was very slow. He was unfamiliar with the menu and every time we asked a question, he would have to leave and go find someone to ask, then come back with the answer.

The problems grew when I ordered a raspberry magarita (since they did not have sangria on the menu). I am a margarita fan, and this was by far the worst one I have ever had. It looked anemic in the glass and tasted watered down and icy. When the manager walked by, I told her I wanted to send it back and even she looked surprised by the visual quality of the drink. I received a replacement drink (a fuzzy navel) that tasted fine.

We ordered salads which never showed up. When they brought our food after a long wait, I told the server (who was not our waiter) that we never got salads and she apologized and offered to go get them. I took her up on the offer and received a Caesar salad that was drowned in dressing.

The portion sizes of our meals were smaller than they used to be at other Macaroni Grill locations. The waiter never showed up to offer us freshly ground pepper or grated cheese until we were almost done with our meals.

I would not return to this location.

Reviewed June 28, 2008

We were pleasantly surprised by everything here. Glad to have alternatives other than chicken fingers and burgers for the kids. They both chose spaghetti with meatball. I had the seafood linguini, which had a nice presentation and was loaded with seafood. Decent wine selections.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Consistently HORRIBLE food, bad service.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Great complimentary bread.

1  Thank USTnick
Reviewed May 25, 2008

It's not the best Italian restaurant, but it's one of my favorites. My Dad and I always go there when we go shopping at Rosedale Mall. We lIke sitting at the Bar,but it's also fun sitting in the restaurant area because you get to draw and color on the tables lol! :)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook