“Easy access for Mayo clinic” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Rochester Mayo Clinic Area/Saint Marys

SpringHill Suites Rochester Mayo Clinic Area/Saint Marys
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Champaign, Illinois, United States
“Easy access for Mayo clinic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Easy and quick access to Mayo clinic. Room was clean, very roomy and comfortable. This is our second stay here and will be our "go to" hotel for future Mayo appts. Just down the street is a great Caribou coffee shop. This hotel is also not to far from a shopping mall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SpringhillGM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Rochester Mayo Clinic Area/Saint Marys, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for the review! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your loyalty to us when choosing where to book a room. We look forward to hosting you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here over the weekend and thought it was definitely average... the staff were pretty laid back (almost a little too much) and the hotel/housekeeping job was a little sloppy-they definitely could use some training and step it up, but other than that, the beds were very cozy, the rooms were extremely quiet, breakfast options were nice and the location was not bad at all...

Room Tip: Get the fourth floor to avoid any stomping overhead ;)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SpringhillGM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Rochester Mayo Clinic Area/Saint Marys, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is disappointing to hear about the low level of service you received from our team of associates, and that it was not exceptional. This is definitely not our standard to provide average service. This is unacceptable and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention so management can follow up with this important matter. We are happy that you found your guest room to be quite and comfortable for you to sleep! Again, thank you for your feedback.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel, especially if you are in town for the hospital across the street.
However, there is little within walking distance - no restaurants, shops, or bars. The hotel was quiet and comfortable - what you would expect from a Spring hill suites. It is a suite with separate living and sleeping areas and a large bathroom. The A/C appeared to work, but it never got cool enough for my taste, which made for a restless night.
Breakfast was good and parking was sufficient (and free).
Service was OK but the lady at check-in did not recognize me as a Marriott member. That wasn't a big deal to me, but a point of note.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SpringhillGM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Rochester Mayo Clinic Area/Saint Marys, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad you liked our property and found both our breakfast and parking to be beneficial to you. As a Marriott member, we appreciate your loyalty to our brand and hotels. We value your comments as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. We are sorry if our hotel did not live up to your expectations in regards to the air conditioning provided in our guest suites and we hope your night’s rest was not interrupted too greatly. Again, thank you for the feedback and we hope to host you again!
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We only stayed 1 night. I LOVED our room. King size bed, Long pull out sofa that worked fine without pulling open, lots of blankets, fridge, microwave, desk area, large bathroom. The room was great. It was directly across from a family member St Mary's hospital patient room. Thats why we decided to book there. It really was convenient. The hotel had a pool and hot tub, and we used the hot tub for a little bit but honestly, there was some type of dance trials or convention and the pool and hot tub was crammed with kids. The kids were loud and the parents didn't seem to care, they didn't seem to be watching the kids that closely. It would have been nice if the last hour of pool time was for adults only. In the morning the breakfast was nice, but again, it was loaded with kids and difficult to get to the food in the little back room it was served in. Breakfast was a nice array of food from what I could tell. In any case, the hotel itself was great, and we booked it only an hour or so before we checked in.

Room Tip: Dinner was wonderful just a tiny walk away at a restaurant called "the Honker" or somethin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SpringhillGM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Rochester Mayo Clinic Area/Saint Marys, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the SpringHill Suites of Rochester, MN. I am happy to hear that you found our location convenient, the hotel to be clean, and that you enjoyed our breakfast offered each morning. I will be sharing your kind comments with all of our staff so that we may continue to deliver the level of service you had experienced. Please accept our apologies regarding the noise level; I can only imagine how frustrating that was! Again, thank you for sharing your kind comments and choosing to stay with us at the last minute!
Orlando
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

This property is about 1/2 mile walk downhill to the main Mayo clinic and across the street from St. Mary's hospital. The shuttle schedule is posted at the front desk and comes with regularity. However, if you miss the shuttle and need to get back from Mayo, you may also take the patient shuttle to St. Mary's and then walk two blocks back to the hotel. The patient shuttle drivers do not accept tips; the hotel shuttle drivers do.
The staff was nice and helpful. Twice during my 4 day stay the computers froze and were unusable. The staff did get the problem resolved but it took several hours each time. The free breakfast doesn't offer any gluten or wheat free choices which isn't surprising except that they service Mayo patients and many of the clients do have dietary restrictions. There is fresh fruit and juice. The eggs tasted powdered or gritty. They make fresh cookies in the evening during the week, but you either have to be there right when they come out of the oven or reserve them. Unfortunately, two of the three days we requested them they forgot, so unless they write it in the "book" don't get your hopes up. I like firm beds, but this one was extremely hard and lumpy; a combination I had not experienced before. The layout of the room does not make the most of the space but is adequate. It has a small refrigerator, a coffee maker, and a kitchen type sink. It is not on par with other Spring Hill Suites where I have stayed though.
It is an inexpensive room with close proximity to the clinics. If you are using points though consider Residence inn or Courtyard as they are the same points. All were 20k per night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SpringhillGM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Rochester Mayo Clinic Area/Saint Marys, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing in such detail your experience staying with us here at the SpringHill Suites of Rochester, MN. We are happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service and found it to be timely each time you rode. We work hard to ensure this service runs as smoothly as possible for our valued guests whom are also patients or visitors of the Mayo Clinic or St. Mary’s Hospital and we truly believe this service sets us apart from our competition. We appreciate the open and honest feedback regarding our free hot breakfast offered to our guests each morning. Without your comments, we cannot improve! Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again if ever in the Rochester area!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I recently stayed at this SpringHill Suites for 4 days. It was an adequate property, but to be honest, it is a little dated and I was not very impressed with the staff.

Upon check in the desk clerk asked me how I booked our reservation. I told him that I went on their particular website. He was confused because evidently my card was not charge. I showed him a picture of the printed reservation on my phone. He and another clerk looked at the paper. She insisted we must have booked through Expedia. I told her we did not. She looked at her partner and said, "Yeah, looks like Expedia to me." I don't think it matters where we book our hotel, but we did in fact book through their particular website. I think it is rude to contradict the customer in front of them especially when you do not know what you are talking about.

Our room was okay. We had a king sized bed. I will say there is not a lot of room to walk around the bed, particularly between the bed and wall so if you need space for a walker or assistance you will need to ask specifically for special accommodations. I mention this because this particular Springhill is close to the Mayo Clinic. If you are someone who likes to unpack and put your clothes in a drawer you will be disappointed. There is very little drawer space and the "closet" space is an open bar just outside the vanity area. It is no more than 2 ft long. There is only space for one suitcase on a stand so one of our suitcases had to be on the floor. The bathtub is dated and very loud so if you are trying to quietly take a shower while your partner sleeps there is nothing quiet about the shower. Also, the walls are pretty thin so when the floor starts getting up you will hear a lot of noise. We were in room 325 and we heard quite a bit of road noise as well. There is a nice sitting area and you can move the TV so that you can see it from the sitting area or the bed, but not both. There is a small wall separating the sitting area and the bed which I thought would give you a little privacy if you were to bring children with you. They could sleep on the sofa bed comfortably, but I think there would be very little room to get around if you open up the sofa bed.

The exercise room is very small. There is a treadmill and an elliptical machine. The machines both work very well and you have your own personal tv---don't forget your earphones! Personally, I believe the room is too small and a little dangerous. There is less than 2 feet behind both machines so if you fall on the machine you are going to hit the wall. There are mirrors on the wall to make the room seem bigger, but that doesn't make the space less dangerous.

The pool is next to the workout room and while we were there a volleyball team seemed to enjoy the pool. The only issue I have with the pool is that the floor outside the pool area to the elevator is tile and the kids left a trail of water that was left for some time. Someone put a wet floor sign out, but did not bother to clean up the water. I could see someone slipping on the wet floor very easily.

The breakfast was very typical. I had waffles which were very good. They also had fruit, yogurt, bread, bagels, juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, muffins, cereal, and milk. There were also a variety of hot items over the 4 days which included the HORRIBLE FAKE eggs. I really wish hotels would use real eggs. Also, my family is kosher and they have the "eggs" and sausages in the same container so even if we wanted to eat them we could not.

Cleanliness...my room appeared clean. Although the bathroom is dated, it was pretty clean. There was a smear of something on my bathroom wall that was there the entire time, but our supplies were well stocked and there is not any visible mold or mildew. We had a refrigerator, sink, coffee maker, and supplies in a small "kitchen" area and everything seemed very clean. I used the refrigerator to keep bottled water and it got very cold.

There was one thing that really bothered me that happened on my last morning. Just as I picked up a coffee cup a member of the house keeping staff stepped in front of me as if she did not see me and started filling her personal cup. Then the desk clerk came up and started filling the creamers and sugar and they carried on a conversation while a stranger and I stood waiting for our turn. It was so long that I almost just walked away. This sounds petty because I do not feel like I am really describing the situation...I am not a petty person and generally I invite people to go before me.

One other issue I have is that my receipt was not put under my door on the last morning. On the way out I stopped at the desk to make sure everything was taken care of and the same man from the coffee incident was at the desk. I told him I did not receive a receipt and he asked me for my room number. I told him 325 and he printed out a receipt and handed to me without so much as a "thank you." Also, he did not verify my name before handing the receipt to me. As I stood there he did the exact same thing to another person. I checked my receipt and the only personal information was my name and length of stay, but I still feel as though he should verify the information before giving the receipt.

Parking...free, but very crowded. We were able to have a space every night, but the parking lot was very full. The last night we were there we would not have been able to park if we had a large vehicle. Fortunately we have a small car so we were able to slip into an open space. The issue was more with the way people were parked than spaces available.

I have stayed at several SpringHill Suites over the past 6 month so I expected a great experience. It was good, but not great. I am not sure I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in room 325 and could hear a lot of road noise. Road noise does not bother me at all, but i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Smocky99
Ryan M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Rochester Mayo Clinic Area/Saint Marys, responded to this review, January 18, 2016
Thank you for your review!
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Travel to Rochester every couple of months and was able to book Springhill on Priceline. Was given a third floor room that was clean with 2 beds. Room has living room set up so you have to turn the TV to whichever side of the room wants to watch it. Has a nice breakfast area with clean modern rooms, parking is only real complaint as the lot is full...Jackie checked me in and she was great at her job..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SIOUXFANFOREVER
SpringhillGM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Rochester Mayo Clinic Area/Saint Marys, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience while staying with us here at the SpringHill Suites of Rochester, MN! We always appreciate hearing from our guests and we are delighted to hear that you found your guest suite to be modern and spacious. We strategically place the televisions in the rooms so that our guests can view them if they are in bed, eating in their kitchenette, or getting ready in the bathroom! Please accept our apologies if you had issues with parking. Since this is such a busy location near the clinic, parking can be hard to come across. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again when you return to Rochester!