“Overrated by fellow Travelers”

Hampton Inn Rochester
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Before you arrive at this hotel, you are told it is the highest rated Rochester hotel by Trip Advisor, and yet it currently ranks only #3. That is not the only time this hotel overrates itself. The rooms are small, the walls are much too thin. The night we spent there, the hotel was hosting a group of young wrestlers, young people who had no problem running down the halls screaming whether at midnight or 6 AM. There was even a security guard roaming the halls, but nothing was done to stop the excessive noise.

The workout room was a joke. Three machines that barely fit in the room. The emergency stop key kept falling off of the treadmill, which led to my abandoing my workout early.

This Hampton has location on its side, especially for those going to Mayo Clinic. But that's all that can recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
RSTMNHX, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rochester, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

Dear Evanston, IL,
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Rochester, MN. I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and provide specific feedback I apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay. As the general manager I work to ensure all pieces are in place to make even a busy wrestling tournament weekend quiet and enjoyable for all guests. I apologize that the security guard didn’t effectively do his job to ensure comfortable surroundings for you and your family. I also appreciate your feedback on the fitness center and I have made arrangements to have the equipment serviced so it will work properly. I can certainly understand your frustration.

I was unsuccessful finding your reservation based on your TripAdvisor profile to invoke our 100% Hampton Guarantee for your stay. We guarantee clean rooms, friendly service, and comfortable surroundings. Understandably you were not 100% satisfied and we don’t expect you to pay. Please contact me 507-287-9050 or at nelson@raymondteam.com so I can make sure you are not charged. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you and provide you with an experience that exceeds your expectations.

Dan Nelson

Reviewed April 8, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Hampton Inn during a visit to the Mayo Clinic. We used their shuttle service to the clinic and found the drivers helpful and entertaining. In fact, everyone connected to the hotel was helpful and cheerful.
The morning breakfast was bountiful and good tasting. There were fresh offerings during the entire period breakfast was served, not simply at the beginning.
We will stay there again if we return to the clinic.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2009

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights while I had tests at Mayo Clinic--the staff is so friendly and make you feel at home--so kind and compassionate to Mayo patients--Lisa the front desk lady was so nice---answered every question and so friendly--even the shuttle drivers were kind and offered help with directions and suggestions about restaurants.
I'm going back in January and will definitely stay here again. The breakfast is fresh and typical of most Hamptons--fresh fruit, a variety of rolls, eggs, omelettes, coffee, juices,biscuits w/ gravy and from 6-7 PM they serve soup and finger foods for those who had a long day at Mayo--a very good meal and its free!! Better than some 4 star motels!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2009

We chose this hotel for its location (shuttle) and its Hampton buffet breakfast, but we got a whole lot more.
Extremely helpful staff,spotless rooms and open areas, a very good gym and indoor pool and a great business center. Even though we had free wifi in our rooms I used the business center to print my messages.
I was told about the nearby bike trail (paved), so I that is were I went for a morning run. Good restaurants (Wiskey Creek and Perkins) is within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Deceiving from the outside. Rooms updated, the beds were so comfortable, awesome sheets. My husband, daughter and I stayed for a wedding. Can't say enough great things. We used 20,000 Hilton Honor points, surrounding hotel points 25,000 - 30,000 and would have had to pay for parking. Walked in, gave our name, handed us our keys! Very impressed and would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I'll start right out with compliments to the staff, they made what was a difficult trip for my wife and me so much easier.

We made reservations for 6 days due to a Mayo Clinic visit; we only stayed for 4 but it was no problem and no extra charges. The every 1/2hour shuttles run on time and will accommodate a special request stop. The staff obviously remembers many of their guests who are repeat visitors to the Mayo Clinic. I can't think of a single thing the Hampton Inn should change.

The rooms were quiet and clean; nice flat screen TV's and fast wi-fi. The beds were very comfortable and had quality linens. I used the business center and the fitness machines---all good.

I'm so glad we read the reviews on this Hampton Inn and decided to risk it---we were worried about staying so far from the clinic. Don't worry and don’t miss this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chevybb
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Overall, an satisfactory stay.

We found the check-in person (an older gentleman) smarmy and interested in talking about himself. He told us an odd, irrelevant personal story about the dali lama instead of concentrating on what we needed as guests. So initial impression was kind of worrisome.

When we requested a quiet room he was dismissive of our needs. We are here to be seen at Mayo clinic, as so many guests are here, so we know we are not special. But in any hotel, some rooms are quieter than others, and we were in for some exhausting stuff, so quiet was important--and the room we got did have some problems with noise from the parking lot, garbage trucks, and a very bright streetlight that the drapes could not obscure.

So, if you request a quiet room be persistent in getting attention to that request, don't let them brush you off.

Other than that wrinkle, the breakfast is decent, with a good selection. The room was quite clean and the bed was comfy. The room AC tends to clunk and clank, and can be a bit annoying, however. Free WiFi is fast and no problems.

Other staff (especially the younger fellow at the desk) was very good. Location is convenient to clinics. Everything is along Broadway, so its quite central.

Overall a good choice.