“Return to the Hampton”

Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Chicago, Illinois
“Return to the Hampton”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We've been coming to Rochester since 2007: often twice a year and have tried a number of cheaper options but have returned. The reception staff and drivers are friendly and helpful with a sense of humor. The shuttle is dedicated (runs 6:30 am to 7:45pm on the half hour) and you do not need to take a tour of other hotel parking lots. The breakfast is good with precooked cheese omelets, substantial sausage patties and fingers of french toast. Cereal, waffle maker, yogurt oatmeal (with cranberries, brown sugar and almonds) and danish complete the offerings. Fresh apples, pears, bananas and oranges are available during the day and evening. "Soup therapy" in the evenings. The coffee is great. Packaged breakfasts are available to take with on request.

Over the years the hotel has underwent major remodeling: the latest revamped the lobby and dining area maximizing the usable space. The beds are comfortable (we have bad backs) and we avoid noise risks by asking for rooms away from potential noise sources. The AC and fridge were quiet...almost unnoticeable. The bathroom was clean and well maintained: nothing noticeable to this picky eye. The exercise room was recently updated. Pool is available but no one used it: have to remember to bring swim gear next time!

Mayo clients like us seem to be dominant guests with a few younger business travelers thrown in. There are special Mayo and AAA rates which vary during the year. I found that you are better off to make your reservations directly.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd Floor to the back away from Broadway
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jim S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rochester, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
We appreciate your continued loyalty to Hampton, and to our hotel. I'm very happy you have enjoyed staying with us these last five years. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Midwest
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Had to revisit Mayo Clinic and once again picked the Hampton Inn on Broadway.
The staff is always accomodating to uncertain Mayo schedules and their location is convenient.
This is truly a home away from home when there are medical problems.
They have recently renovated the lobby/breakfast area and the hotel looks great.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelingabout
Jim S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rochester, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you very much for the comments! I am glad you enjoyed the hotel, and that you felt at home, that is the biggest compliment we can receive.
Eau Claire, WI
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This Hampton Inn my favorite hotel in Rochester, MN! The staff are always excellent and helpful. I love the recently remodeled public space. It's sleek and modern and comfy. The only bummer is the noisy air conditioning unit, but as a heavy sleeper it doesn't inhibit my sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Jim S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rochester, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and happy that you approve of our lobby renovation. We are proud of how it turned out.

I will check on that air conditioning unit. I am glad it did not detract from your stay with us.

thank you again!
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed August 21, 2012

As usual, the bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. I also liked the pillows - not so puffy and firm that you feel like you are sitting up all night. On the "less than perfect side," there was a clicking sound intermittently all night long - we couldn't figure out where it was coming from; thought it was in our bathroom, but may have been from the room next door. Also, the people in the room above us were up walking around during the night (2:30am) and the sound proofing is not as good as other Hampton's I have stayed in. The drain plug in our bathroom was not attached to the lift mechanism, so we had to lift the sink plug with our fingers to get the sink to drain.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room on the top floor so you don't hear the footsteps of t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda N
Jim S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rochester, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Hello Linda,

I am very sorry your experience was less than perfect with us. We appreciate the feedback however, as it allows us to address the issues you had. I would like to chat with you about your stay, if you have a chance to contact the hotel.
Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I like these 'business class' hotels and I try to rate them within that catagory. I find that they generally provide a clean and comfortable place to stay for a reasonable price. This hotel was no exception.

We had a very clean room, including the bedding and the bath.
The king size bed was very firm with pillow top - so you're not sleeping on a board. I loved it, just a little too firm for wife's taste.
There was a very helpful staff at the front desk, and check-in was effortless.
The breakfast was typical (very good in my opinion) Hampton inn fare - eggs, sausage, fruit, yogurt, hot oatmeal, etc.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for the comments! We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and our team hopes you visit again.
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Normally I stay at Hilton properties because I fin they are very consistent.

This hotel was not up to typical Hilton Standards.

While check-in was quick (and I love that they know I'm Hilton Honors and skip the whole ID and a credit card thing) my room wasn't great. The A/C unit rattles and buzzed all night. So did the mini-fridge. I did NOT sleep well. There was also something on the sheets (laundry detergent?) that wasn't quite right and I was an itchy mess in the morning.

My shower water pressure wasn't that great either.

I don't recommend this hotel unless you are on a budget and this is what you can afford.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Mmmidwesterner
Jim S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rochester, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for the honest feedback regarding your recent stay. I am very sorry we missed the mark and did not provide you a restful night's sleep, and for the issues you had with water pressure. I appreciate these issues being brought to my attention, as they are unacceptable and need to be addressed.

If you would be so kind to reach out to me, I'd like to discuss further so I can remedy these issues at our property. My e-mail is sele@raymondteam.com.
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our first experience ever staying at a Hampton Inn was a pleasant one. Check-in was very fast and easy, The staff was very courteous and helpful. After we got to our room, it wasn't long until the phone rang and it was the front desk. They wanted to know if our room was okay and if we needed anything. We have never, ever received a call from any of the motels we have stayed at over the years. We had a handicapped room and it was very comfortable. Later on, we called the front desk inquiring about the shuttle to the Mayo Clinic. Brandon was very helpful and my husband asked him about the steps on the shuttle if it would be a problem using a walker. Brandon asked if we wanted to use the lift on the shuttle, We didn't know they had one and of course we said yes and he put our names on a list and we didn't need to go to the front desk to do it ourselves. Other motels we had to sign up in person. Our stay, even though it was only one night, was a very pleasant one. The continental breakfast was terrific and had alot to choose from. If we have to go back to Mayo Clinic, we will very definately stay at Hampton South.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jim S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rochester, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
'Home away from home' is a very high compliment to bestow, and we thank you for that. I'll share your feedback with the staff, as they love to hear when we've made a guest's stay more enjoyable. We appreciate you and hope to see you again.