“Older, but still a great place”

Hampton Inn Rochester
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
dune acres indiana
“Older, but still a great place”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

On our road trip this July, we stayed a three HIs: a brand new one, one open probably 3-4 years and this one, which was clearly the oldest of the three. They all offered the same friendly, helpful service and new styled HI touches. While the newest Inn was somewhat nicer, as can be expected, the Rochester inn still offered a clean, well appointed room, comfy beds and free WiFi. Breakfast was excellent as well. So, we really had no complaints. We would stat here again if we're back In Rochester. Recommend it .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jayclay1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Templeton, California
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Our group was 8 (middle aged sibs and elderly father). This was my BEST experience ever! Very clean rooms, FANTASTIC and accomodating staff. Really, I've never gotten this great of service in even 5 star hotels! I now know that Minnesotans are the nicest, most polite people Ive ever encountered, but these people were above and beyond! They do a huge business for the Mayo Clinic, which is so awesome, but we were ordinary family people travelling for a reunion. I intend to try Hampton now everywhere I go, but I bet no one will ever top this staff! Thank you so much for making our trip a pleasure on every level (pizza on the patio, takeout in the pool area, family coming and going: no problem). Thank you everyone. I understand why you have a trophy case of awards. I can't remember the manager's name, but clearly, the service starts at the top. Thank you thank you! (if I were ill and going to the Mayo, I would be so grateful for this wonderful service!
Anne Wheeler, and 6 sibilings and our Dad, from California

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Fargo, ND
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I am not familiar with Hampton Inns but my colleague stays here so I did too. The bathroom was clean but the room wasn't vaccuumed as I found what seemed to be clipped hair in the corner by the desk, LOTS of it. The fridge I was provided didn't work well and my frozen foods thawed within 12 hours. The exercise room is crowded with one treadmill, one eliptical trainer, and one exercise bike. There were weights in the room but when I went to use them the Tuesday morning of my stay, they were gone. The front desk employee looked for them but couldn't find them. Apparently another guest must have swiped them.
The employees I dealt with were very kind and courteous and there was a good restaurant next door (Whiskey something, good food!). It wasn't a bad stay, but I like a well-equipped exercise room and I expect the carpet to at least be vaccuumed before I come in the room. To the hotel's defense though I did not contact the front desk about my concerns. I usually don't unless it's really serious because I don't want housekeeping in my room once I check in. I am very leery about theft.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank suzb_00
Saint Ansgar, Iowa
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We booked a suite as that is what our family of 5 usually does. Normally we can bring along an air mattress and everyone has plenty of room to sleep. Upon arrival in our room, we were not impressed with our suite. There was no room for us to pull out the hide a bed plus our air mattress. I asked for a larger room for the second night but was told that we were in the largest room they had. Not impressed!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Upper Michigan
Reviewed March 19, 2011

This hotel is great. And the very first with a staff member who actively accommodated my request for room location. Very pleasant staff and helpful. You will not be disappointed. 1 mile from Apache Mall, three restaurants within watlking distance plus coupons at front desk. Nice place. The staff was very helpful and compassionate with their guests who were in Rochester for medical reasons.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 100nitesperyear
Mankato
Reviewed March 19, 2011

This is a no frills, older Hampton Inn. The staff is friendly and the rooms and public spaces are clean. However, the hotel is in much need of an upgrade!

HHonor preferences not recognized and placed in room near elevator with obstructed view.

I have stayed at the North location and it is new with larger rooms. The North location also offers a shuttle to Mayo Clinic so you can't go wrong!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank manktripguy
penna
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We staying last week for a week of appointments at mayo Clinic for my wife and the service and staff outstanding and caring. The transportation back & forth to mayo was great. Nice restaurants close by within walking distance and shuttle will take you to other place if you desire. Again a great stay at at hotel with top-noch Staff. Thank You ROY & SUSAN ZOOG

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HamptonGM75, Manager at Hampton Inn Rochester, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
We appreciate your comments about our service. We strive to be the top-notch hotel in Rochester. We are glad that you stayed with us and if you need to return to Rochester please come and stay with us again.