“Outstanding service.”

Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Rapid City
“Outstanding service.”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Our recent visit at the Kahler was excellent. The hotel was very clean. The staff from the front desk all the way to the room service was outstanding. The staff is also very professional and courteous.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SweetcheeksRapidCity
Rochester-GM, General Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
Greetings from the Kahler Grand Hotel,

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for praising our service! In this difficult economy where job losses have become sadly common, we're proud to celebrate the dozens of employees who have faithfully served our guests for more than three decades.

This place is more than a landmark historic hotel. Our staff truly feels like a very large family and we are thankful for your loyalty and feedback.

Warmest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Turkish first
st. louis, mo
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We stayed at the Kahler Grand Hotel on a trip to the Mayo Clinic, upon arrival the lobby was really neat...well that old fancy look. The hotel staff was very rude, we had advised we'd be checking in late, but ended up not being as late as anticipated. The staff brought that to our attention...really was that necessary? So we head up to our room after parking in the death trap they refer to as a parking garage. However, the staff did mention not to leave the parking garage until the weekend was over because they were expecting 500 more people to arrive the next day for a amature sporting event. We didn't want to drive in or out of that thing if not needed. The parking garage is split between the Kahler and the Marriot parking is a nightmare and I would reccomend driving a very tiny car or bike if planning on parking in their garage. So... back to our room, heading through the hallway definately reminded me of scenes from Steven Kings, The Shinning, if you have been here you will know exactly what I mean. So get to the room and I believe my laundry room is bigger than this closet they call a room. We had a Full size bed from 1960, the bathroom consisted of a shower only (phone booth size as refered to in another review) which is surrounded in old @$$ "marble" and don't even think of shaving your legs in here, you can't move it's so small. Not to mention after the very quick shower that consisted of either freezing cold or scalding hot water you were standing in about 3 1/2" of water because the drain was clogged, the flip flops that I was wearing made no difference now. Oh and the "bathroom" sink was outside of the bathroom in the bedroom area. This bathroom was so disgusting we tried not to use it unless absolutly necessary. While using the facility I noticed something crawling across the rotten baseboard...IT WAS A MILIPEDE. Luckily I killed it with a ton of toilet paper. Went to wash my hands in the room and for some reason glanced up at the wall next to the sink... something dark and crusty was all over the wall looked like either dried blood or ketchup or something, (I'm hoping ketchup). Then headed to bed, however the two chairs and table in our bed were close to 1 foot away from my side of the bed and stubbed my toe adding to the joys of this fine establishment. While, bending over to instinctly grab my foot I saw the "air duct" under the table. This consisted of a hole cut into the wall, no vent or cover or anything just a hole looking to eat a sock or two. So back to bed fully clothed because I didn't want to touch anything. Thank god for hand sanatizer and lysol wipes. I highly recommend bring these if you plan to stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Good evening from the Kahler Grand Hotel,

I would first like to thank you for your feedback and ensure that you know we're listening. In response to your review:

I'm terribly disappointed to read your comments. You have described an unimaginable hotel experience and one which any hotel manager would want to know about immediately. While I'm truly shocked to read many of the things which you've described here, it's important to tell you that our staff is 100% invested in your complete satisfaction.

If you would please contact my office directly at your earliest convenience to discuss your experience, I'd like to have the conversation which should have taken place while you were visiting.

We truly welcome your comments and questions. Your feedback makes us better and we're grateful for the opportunity to serve.
FL
Reviewed April 5, 2009

OK... well I just got back from a 3 day stay at the Kahler Grand Hotel and felt compelled to write this review. First off, I read the other positive comments and can only think that they surely cant be doing a review on the same hotel that I stayed at this weekend. BC this hotel was a mess. It is in need of a remodel.... perhaps a full blown demolition would be more appropriate. There is dust everywhere and my girlfriend couldnt breath the whole stay. If you plan on parking in the garage, dont bother. Anytime after 10pm there wasnt even a spot. If you are one of the lucky ones that happened to find a spot, I hope you are on a motorcycle bc the spots are so narrow that you cant even get out without banging the guy's door next to you. Good thing I was in a rental. Once inside the decor is just plain. THe rooms are ok in size but there is mold all over the sink knobs. We had a King bed and only had 3 pillows. The hotel had 700 rooms with only 300 paking spots which were shared w the Marriott next door. The elevators take forever since there were two main elevators and one on the side. OK... enough complaining, the pros to the hotel was that it was walking distance to some great restaurants and shops. Oh yeah, the hot water was nice and fast too. Like this post says, just do your homework..... but I personally would not recommend this hotel - not for the $100/night.

• Stayed April 2009
Greetings from the Kahler Grand,

We appreciate your thoughtful review and the opportunity to respond.

Your comments regarding the need for remodeling have been heard. In recent weeks, we have replaced the furnishings in more than 200 guest rooms and suites and anticipate having the majority of the hotel complete within the next few weeks. This has created some dust and our staff is working day and night to maintain our guests' comfort while completing a very large project. We truly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

Regarding our five-story parking garage, please accept my personal apology for the lack of available spaces during your visit. The majority of our guests arrive by towncar or airport shuttle and it's generally only during conventions when our parking is completely full. Fortunately, there are thousands of additional parking spaces in the adjacent parking ramps and our valet parking team is always happy to take care of your car if self-parking is a concern.

Your care and complete satisfaction are our first priority and we truly appreciate your taking the time to offer feedback, critique and insight. Thank you,
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed March 18, 2009

From the moment we walked into the lobby and were greeted by the front desk, we had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The staff at this hotel could not be friendlier or more helpful. Our room was clean, the hotel is in a good location and we will definitely recommend it as a place to stay. There are restaurants, shops, the Mayo Clinic, all within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank mln
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We had seen a lot of the negative reviews just weeks prior to our arrival and had actually contemplated switching hotels, but we remained cautiously optimistic that it wouldn't be as bad as people had said. We couldn't have been more wrong!

Upon entering the hotel lobby, you're immediately captivated by the modernized elegance and beauty that this hotel has to offer. Unfortunately, the offering ends right there in the lobby. From the moment you step onto the elevator (after waiting anywhere from 3-15 minutes for its arrival) you can actually feel the transformation of going from a 5-star hotel to a 1/4 (yes, it's really a fraction) star hotel.

After getting past the odorous hallways and the outdated carpeting and furniture, our first night was a sign of the hotel's true offering. As we attempted to lower the temperature in our room, it wasn't long before it just kept getting warmer and warmer. Upon reaching 78 degrees we decided it was time to call maintenance. The maintenance person arrived (quite promptly) and began to remove the cover from the heating/cooling system and poke around with his mini-flashlight. Shortly thereafter, his broken english told us that it should start to cool off. I really couldn't imagine how, since I could've done exactly the same thing (which was really nothing). Low and behold, after another 25 minutes the temperature had risen another 3 degrees. The same maintenance person immediately came back and proceeded to turn the heating pipe valve to the "off" position and proceeded to ask (in his barely understandable voice) if that would be ok to just keep the heat off. (Why didn't we think of that? I mean, really. So what if it's only 18 degrees outside.) After really seeing no other alternative, we contacted the front desk and requested a room change. Our new room was just as un-inviting as the first and equally as outdated.

One of the features that we both liked about this hotel was that it offered Internet access in all of its rooms, just like the hundreds of other hotels in the Rochester area. The rooms do in fact have both a "wireless" and a "wired" (DSL) Internet connection. Incidentally, the signal strength on the wireless connection is very weak causing basic web pages to load in about the time it would take for the elevator to arrive. We actually received a stronger wireless signal from the Marriott hotel accross the street, while sitting in our room at the Kahler Grand. The hotel does charge a fee if you want to take advantage of the high-speed wired Internet connection, however, the room that we happened to be in actually had an issue with the DSL connection. This was discovered after spending about an hour and a half with the hotel's technical support, located in California. Once again, we had the option of switching to another room. Unfortunately, it took five rooms before we found one that had a working DSL connection. (I actually took a laptop and visited about 4 other rooms on the same floor along with two of the hotel's engineers.) We were given the option to switch rooms (which would've put us further away from the barking dog that was in the room next to us) but had decided not to in the hopes that we would just find vacancy at one of the many nearby hotels. Of the five or six nearby places that we had called, none of them had vacancy for the entire duration of our stay, so we simply accepted our fate at the Kahler Grand knowing that it would be our first and last trip there.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JJP0310
Minnesota
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stayed at the Kahler for a friends birthday party in Feb! We had a great time at the party and the service at the Kahler was some of the best I've received at ANY hotel. My husband and I travel a lot for work so we've seen it all! We ordered room service at 2am, I love 24 hour room service. They let us order anything on the menu and our waiter couldn't have been nicer!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jades_mn
Minnesota
Reviewed March 12, 2009

Very nice accomodations, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Oh and the beds were very comfortable!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family