“So very convenient if you are visiting Mayo Clinic”
Review of Kahler Grand Hotel

Kahler Grand Hotel
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
New Prague, Minnesota
“So very convenient if you are visiting Mayo Clinic”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I stayed at the Kahler for several nights while my husband was having surgery at Methodist Hospital. I was able to park my car, included in the room rate, leave it there for all of the days of my stay and walk everywhere. You are in super-close walking distance to downtown, clinic, hospital, shopping, free concerts. I was all alone and I never felt unsafe. The hotel is old, granted, but for a stranger in a strange town, filled with worry about an ill loved-one, the Kahler could not have been a better choice for me to stay. The room was small, but clean and there was a large TV screen and nice desk in the room. I will stay there again without reservation.

Room Tip: Be sure to let them know if you are visiting Mayo Clinic. They provide many services like wound car...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Turkish first
Dallas
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed at The Khaler Grand during a trip to the Mayo Clinic. It is very convenient for the hospital (right across the street) and we thought since it was an older hotel, it might have lots of character. We stayed in a King room on one of the lower floors at one of the lower price rates since we were going to be there for over a week. The room was the worst I have ever stayed in. We almost checked out within the first ten minutes of arriving. I think if you pay the higher rates and stay in the suites on the top floors, it is much nicer. But that wasn't an option for us due to our length of time and nature of our stay. The rooms on the fourth floor are extremely outdated. Like 1950 outdated. I have never seen a smaller bathroom; not even in New York. I am a smaller woman and could barely raise my arms in the shower, which had horrible yellow and maroon tiles from several decades ago. The bed covers were weird. Two sheets and an itchy blanket? The ceiling tiles were low and had the strangest texture. The AC did not work very well and was extremely loud. Plus, our toilet never flushed properly. We had someone come try to fix on three different occasions during our stay and they finally had to say it was broken and unusable. They did put flat screen TVs in the rooms, but the reception is terrible and seemed like a huge waste. Next time, I would stay at the Marriott. I do not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank SoonerDallas
Madison, MS
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Simply put, the staff of the Kahler Grand knows what they are doing when it comes to service and the people they are hosting. Situated right next to the Mayo Clinic, you know why people are staying there. My wife was there for a 12 day stay in August of 2013 for testing and then again for an 8 day stay in October for surgery. The staff is kind and courteous and understanding. Some of the rooms are a little older but we stayed in a newer part of the hotel both times(same room actually) and it was fine. We will have to do a follow up visit at some point and I can assure you that we will stay at the Kahler Grand. As a side note, Rochester and its people are wonderful!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Indy
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Very nice hotel in Rochester next to the Mayo Clinic. If you arrive on Sunday, be warned that not everything in the hotel is available. Also, during our stay the hot tub was out of service but the sauna was very very nice. The room was comfortable and clean but is in need of some major updates. Toilets, bathtubs, chairs in the rooms are all a bit tired. No slip strips added to the bathtub are coming off and the toilets need to be a bit taller.

The pool is lovely but a bit difficult to get to and I'm not sure how anyone handicapped could get up there for a swim. I know the fed gov required lifts into the pool, but not sure anyone who needed the lift could get up the four short flights of stairs to use. The view from the pool is great and the water is warm and inviting.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at Kahler for 3 nights, it was a total disaster. We got the two bedroom
suite thinking it would be an upgrade. Well, it was so bad, and they were sold out
so we couldn';t change rooms. The room had dog pee everywhere..the sides by the
walls had some kind of pesticide dust all around. The furniture was so old and
beaten up that Goodwill probably wouldn't take it. The price was almost 600 per night.
They charge extra for everything, include a small toilet riser for mobility problems.
On top of all that, the restaurants in there are so bad you cannot eat the food.
The only thing good about the Kahler is close to Mayo. The only reason they can rent
a room I think. I understand there is newer side to the hotel, but can't vouch for how it is.
Most all of the hotels downtown are linked thru tunnels to Mayo. We will be going back to
the Doubletree hotel which is a great hotel.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a good room...old, small and smelley.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank alchu
John K, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Dear alchu,

We truly appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share your comments with the hotel staff, especially our management team.

We do apologize about the issues you had during your stay. We hold every one of our departments to high standards of service, and obviously this was not the case for you. For that, I apologize. I have personally taken this survey to our management team so that corrective action can be made. We will be sure to get the items you brought to our attention taken care of.
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Great hotel for a Mayo Clinic trip. Get off the elevator, walk 50 feet, make a right turn and you're in Mayo.
all underground. Rooms are adequate, not big but considering you wont be spending much time in the room they're OK.

The entire staff is caring. Not just pretending to care but really try to make your stay as good as it can be. Nurse on call 24/7, wheelchairs available, food "custom cooked" as needed, etc.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Don V
moeron15
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Got a great rate for this hotel through Priceline. Stayed 1 night. Didn't expect much based on previous reviews, but my (relatively low) expectations were exceeded. This is an older hotel, so keep that in mind. This means small rooms, and small bathrooms. It's similar to other old hotels I've stayed at in NY and SFO. The greeting from the staff was friendly and checkin was efficient. The room was small but comfortable. The bed was in good shape and I had a good night's sleep. The room and bathroom were clean, no complaints. Checkout was quick and efficient. The location is convenient to most downtown destinations. The parking is relatively expensive at just over $15 with tax. The parking pass was good for 3 days though, so would have been very reasonable if my stay was longer. If you can get a good deal on rates, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple