“Not what we expected” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Minneapolis
“Not what we expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We we in town briefly. We chose the Kahler Grand, only because of location which I did rate a 5. It is directly linked to the Mayo Clinic through tunnels and is right across the street to walk in good weather. It is prime for shopping and food close by and is the hub to the underground shopping tunnels which are awesome.

The hotel itself has rooms that are very small, with lots of cracks in walls, ceilings and bathrooms. The lobby and main level, and exterior do not reflect the severely dated rooms.

The bathroom had 1 outlet the barely held a cord tight. It was almost impossible to shut the bathroom door while standing in the bathroom, even for my skinny 12 year old.

The Starbucks was the best thing going at the hotel.

I will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
John K, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
We truly appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share your comments with the hotel staff.

Within the last year, we have completely renovated nearly 60 rooms, and we will be continuing to renovate and refresh more. I think you’ll find them larger, more modern, up-to-date, and closer to what you may be looking for. Also, within the last few months, we have also been getting new linens, mattresses, and draperies, and furniture in our standard rooms. I strongly encourage you to look into these renovated and refreshed rooms in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

For price and convenience the Kahler Grand Hotel is great. Be sure you don't confuse it with the Kahler Inn and Suites (a mistake we and many others made when driving into town) which is nearby but is an entirely different hotel.The Kahler Grand has a special rate for Mayo Clinic patients and also offers free parking to those visiting Mayo. However, the parking fills up VERY quickly, and you may have to use an overflow lot. They are connected to the Clinic buildings by underground tunnels which are very convenient, although we didn't need them because the weather was lovely and the Clinic buildings just a short walk away. They accommodate the uncertainty of the length of people's visits to Mayo with complete flexibility. We left almost a week early and that was no problem and there was no financial penalty. Their wifi worked perfectly. However, there were a few glitches with our visit that are worth mentioning. While the Kahler Grand advertises a Fitness Center, it does not exist. There are a pool and a hot tub (available only by taking stairs from the floor below so they would not work for people who can't walk up stairs) but no fitness equipment whatsoever. Since this was very important to us in our choice of a hotel, we were very unhappy that we hadn't been told that this was no longer available. The front desk seemed perpetually to have long lines--only two clerks for over 800 rooms. We had a room with one king sized bed that included a coffee pot, microwave, and small refrigerator. Those features were very appreciated. However, the room was definitely on the small side. With two people with suitcases, laptop bags, etc. it was difficult to unpack into the four small drawers, and the closet was small as well. We were constantly having to get out of the way of each other and couldn't unpack completely. The bathroom was tiny but adequate. As is often the case in hotels, there were very few accessible outlets for plugging in all of our various devices that had to be charged daily. If I was charging my cell phone I couldn't keep it on my night stand as there was no place to plug it in, making it annoying when I needed to use the phone as both a clock and an alarm. On the positive side again, the rooms were very clean and the housekeeping staff did a very good job and were very nice to boot. The bed was comfortable for us (we prefer a firm rather than soft mattress) and there were plenty of pillows. The air conditioning worked fine. So while the rooms definitely could use some updating ours was fine for our week long visit. But could you please replace the Fitness Center or take it out of your advertising?

Spring Valley, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

If you are going to book this hotel through one of the booking sites to get a better rate, definitely do not. I don't doubt they have some nice rooms, but the discount rooms are absolutely horrible. It is by far one of the worst rooms I have ever had. To start with the nice things, I will say the bed, tv, and restaurant were good. The bathroom looked like you were stepping back into the 60's. I'm not even sure it would be considered legal in todays standards. Although I didn't have a tape measure we estimated the bathroom size at about 3 feet by 5 to 6 feet. There was no tub, just a 2x3 shower at the end of a long narrow bathroom. The tiles were yellow and burgundy/brown, the sink leaked, pealing paint, and mildew at the bottom of the shower. The good news is when you are tired in the middle of the night and get up to go to the bathroom, you can lean your head on the wall in front of you. Not kidding. The rest of the room was dated as well. None of the lamps were even close to matching and most of the furniture was mismatched as well. My mother was promised a cot by the front desk, and when we got there was told they didn't have any. Some of the staff were friendly, others were not. There were several times we considered just leaving and going to another hotel. Then when you leave if you have more than one vehicle you get to pay $17 for parking as well. We were told we were getting 3 star hotel, but we were given a 1 star room.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel and don't worry about being downtown at the clinic. Most of the hotels of...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear jittabug138,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us in Rochester. We do have some older rooms in our hotel that we are continuously working on to improve for our guests. We also have been completely renovating rooms and I think you would really like what we have done. Our in house reservations team is very knowledgeable on room types and layout and they are more than willing to go through explaining all we have available.

I have passed your comments on to our management team. Only when our guests let us know about their stay, can we improve and grow making their next stay even better.

Thank you again for your time.
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

We've visited the Kahler Grand twice this spring- both visits were wonderful. First of all - the staff is just great. They anticipate every guest is a patient at the clinic or a family member and they are ready with concern and help - before you think of it. Like any great hotel - they understand their clientele and anticipate their needs - realizing sometimes the best thing they can do to help a guest - is just smile and be sincere and friendly. They've got this down to an art.
The rooms are fine - those directly across from the clinic are darker than those on the side of the building - however all we saw were good! For a visit to Mayo -you need a calm retreat, not a resort - so the rooms are good and comfortable, and incredibly close to anything you might want or need. The wireless was strong and the cable was terrific (offering channels in several languages and a wide variety of entertainment for all ages). Bathrooms need renovation - they are just dated, but they are fine and the convenience FAR outweighs that issue. The beds are firm - but very very comfortable - we consistently had great night's rest.
To go from hotel to clinic - you can cross the street - or take the elevator to the "subway" level and walk over without going outside. There is a pharmacy in the subway (walkway actually) as well as retail shops, a barbershop etc...
There are 2 restaurants in the hotel - I recommend Lord Essex - for anything from a quick snack to a serious meal. there are also many many other restaurants outside the side door or via the skywalk from the mezzanine level. Pescara and Sontas come to mind, as well as Victoria's.

The hotel is great - and we would not stay anywhere else for a visit to Mayo - its just too convenient and the staff is just too nice and too helpful to want to be anywhere else. If you have any challenges walking - ask for a room near the elevator -you are thus a few steps from almost everything. its amazing how easily and how fast you can get from your room to any mayo appointment location. Oh - and trust me and try the chocolate chip cookies at the coffee 'shop' in a corner of the Mayo cafeteria in the subway.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ldm010
Bondurant, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here on 6/12/14 for Mayo testing in an older, appreciative room. It is great to stay here on Thursdays b/c of the festivities next to the hotel. We, then, had to stay another night b/c my son needed further testing at Mayo. When I checked in, we had the government rate do to my work. This does not include parking but they waived it b/c my son is a patient at the Mayo. When re-checking in the 2nd time for the unexpected night, I inquired to make sure my parking was still valid. She went into a long, almost condescending tone that we should be grateful that we had free parking b/c we have the government rate. I said I didn't know that and that I thought it was waived b/c my son is a patient. Previously, I could not find on the internet that we needed the medical rate for the free parking. I wasn't asking for the parking to be free, again, but she kept on leaning into me, and expressing how good of a deal I got THIS TIME. I realized the woman at the desk was frustrated from the previous guests that she had to give me an elaborate, almost condescending, detailed information on how lucky I was. This has made me feel guilty to stay here the 2nd time. Would I stay here, again? No. I think the front desk needs more help in checking persons in so they are not over worked and frustrated. When calling the front desk, I the phone would ring for 2 minutes before I got an answer. Otherwise, Megan was very pleasant with us on the phone. With my son having headaches and GI problems and with my own back problems, I really didn't need the lecture on how lucky I am, a gov. employee, getting free parking with our health issues.

4 Thank packerkk
Madison, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Everything - all superlatives. Old World Charm with a Contemporary Edge. A wonderful hotel that has been like "home" to many, many people over the years. Truly a find and truly, may all its glory last forever. Stay there!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank piano1234
Mankato
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

If you enjoy ambience, the cost to stay at this hotel is just about right. However, if your business is not at the Mayo Clinic and you're just looking for a comfortable night stay, this hotel is too spendy!

• Stayed May 2014