“Kahler Grand Hotel..Julie and Jeff”
Review of Kahler Grand Hotel

Kahler Grand Hotel
Ranked #39 of 51 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed at The Kahler Grand on Saturday March 15th. There were not many guests on this day. We were planning on going to the shops and tour thru the Mayo Clinic. Much to our surprise everything is closed on the weekend. I guess that is why I received a discounted room on a saturday night. I had a room with a king size bed, It was a smaller room, but nice. The staff was friendly. Hotel was not busy at all. I went to look at the pool/hottub on the roof, and it looked very neat. Not one person was using either. We did not use the pool or hottub. We found the hotel to be very quiet at night also. We ate dinner at Victoria's restaurant which is located on one end of the hotel via subway. The skyway and subway were quiet also. We did encounter a young man that was watching our every move. At this time, I did not feel very safe. i would go back to the Kahler, and recommed it to anyone. It is not The Ritz, but was adequate, and NO GHOSTS.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kahler Grand Hotel

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We have stayed at the Kahler many times as we frequent the Mayo Clinic, myself for the Executive Health Program and our daughter for her high risk pregnancies. The staff at the Kahler are always professional, friendly, and attentive. They recognize us as frequent visitors as our information is in the system making check-in easy after our typical 4 hour drive to get to Rochester. The hotel has its'own restaurants which have good food and reasonable prices along with long hours of operation. There are many other shops at the hotel for either whimsical shopping or ancillary medical needs. The tunnel connection to the Mayo and other hospitals, shops, and eateries is a real bonus, especially in the wintertime. The Kahler is definitely our home away from home when we are in Rochester.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My family had an exquisite time at the Kahler. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The hotel gave off a very classic vibe that made our stay more comfortable. Walking around the Kahler made me appreciate all of the great history this building has to offer to people who stay there. I would highly recommend staying at the Kahler and will do so again the next time we visit Rochester. Thank you for the amazing time to the Kahler staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2014

It pains me to write this, as I have always considered the Kahler THE Rochester hotel, particularly given its immediate access to the Mayo Clinic. My wife and I just returned from a two-night stay in one of their standard rooms. While the check-in agent was very cordial, things went downhill when we entered our very small fourth floor room overlooking the air shaft and the parking ramp. It felt like a 1960s era room, with paint flaking off the window frames, a very old thermostat, a pathetically tiny bathroom with a shower head that couldn't accommodate my six-foot frame, and no in-room safe. After two nights, we couldn't wait to escape back home. If you are coming to Rochester for a Mayo visit, we highly recommend either the next-door Marriott or the nearby Kahler Inn and Suites, both of which have underground access to the Clinic, and have been built within the last couple of years.

Room Tip: Make certain that you don't have a room on the inside of the hotel. The views are totally depres...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Troon62
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Tiny, utilitarian bathroom with the original "hospital issue" combination vanity-mirror-light fixture, complete with a used razor blade receptacle! The single outlet was outdated and only held plug-ins loosely. the faucets and handles were badly worn and dull. There was one bar of soap (for two people) and the bath linens were pathetically thin. Lighting was very poor, and after you pull the shower curtain, you're essentially bathing in the dark! No place to hang wet towels, either.
there wasn't an ink pen or a single scrap of note paper in the room, the television settings needed badly adjusted (orange people and neon bright). And unless you want to sit at the desk to read, the lighting was woefully inadequate. We never could figure out how to adjust the temperature in the room, either. There were no spare blankets, and the night we called down and asked for one, it never came.
All that said, the beds were firm, pillows fluffy and sheets seemed to be high-quality - complete contrast to the outdated bathroom.And the location of the hotel itself can't be beat - no need to ever go outside to get to the Mayo and many nice (and I do mean NICE) restaurants. I'd stay there again, but ask for rooms in another part of the hospital.

Room Tip: Other family members have stayed in much nicer rooms, but I don't know where they were.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Blown-away from check-in on: When I booked my room, I'd asked for the Mayo rate but it wasn't available via online portal. The check-in host read my note & found a room $35 less than I expected - win!

Room Tip: There are some 'paired down' rooms, meant for longer-term visitors/ Mayo patients. They have...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2014

So happy that the Kahler accommodated by request for the type of room that I wanted. Thank you. Wish the food tray was taken back by some other room in a timely manner, it sat in the hall for over 12 hours.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want and they will do their best to accomodate
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business