WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Kahler Grand Hotel

Kahler Grand Hotel
Ranked #36 of 51 Hotels in Rochester
Seattle, Washington
“Best Hotel for Mayo Clinic Patients”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

For anyone who is in Rochester for an appointment at the Mayo Clinic, this is the best place to be. It is literally across the street from the world reknown medical center and also right next to Rochester Methodist Hospital for those with anticipated surgeries or medical procedures. There is a direct airport shuttle from Minnesota/St. Paul to the hotel for a $25 fee one-way. It's so much more cheaper than renting a car if you are planning to stay a couple days. But I digress...

The staff are really helpful and the hotel is geared towards helping medical tourists in the area. We stayed in a deluxe double room because we had a toddler who needed extra room to run amok. The beds were comfortable, noise level on the 4th floor away from elevator minimal and we especially appreciated the in-room microwave and refrigerator. They also have a standard room service menu, although there are several restaurants in the hotel, as well as nearby eateries to expand food options. Another plus is the fact that they have a guest laundry, which made for convenient laundry runs when we ran out of clean clothing.

My only hang up has to do with aesthetics -- the hotel really looks almost as old as its history. I know they have undergone some refurbishment in public areas of the hotel, but some of the residential sections of the hotel look really worn and shabby. Also, I have some issues with the standard of cleanliness followed by the housekeeping service... but that is probably nitpicking on my part.

Overall, my recommendation is to stay here especially for those who anticipate long medical stays. I anticipate staying here again for future medical appointments.

Room Tip: If you are planning to stay because you have an appointment at the Mayo Clinic, ask for the Mayo Cli...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Skwrrl
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. We appreciate your time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Super place to stay for a Mayo Clinic visit - we have tried others & found none as good for us as the Kahler Grand. The first time I stayed was 1954 & there have been many updates and improvements. Staff appears very helpful & hotel near many other downtown shops & good eating places.

Room Tip: They seem to respect your request for room type & location & many are handicap accessible
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We hope it was a GRAND welcome back for you. Thanks for the kind review.
Woodbury, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

The good. If you are going to Mayo, this location cannot be beat. It is right across the street and connected by subway to the clinic.

First off, the ramp was apparently built when people drove model T's because trying to park anything bigger is a real challenge. So much so that if I ever got this hotel again on Priceline, I would park somewhere else.

The front desk staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. The hotel is huge and you can have long walks to the nearest elevator.

Since this is and old hotel and people seemingly did not need much room in the old days the rooms are very small and no two are alike. The rooms we had were clean, but dated.

If location to Mayo is important to you, this place is just fine. However if you like newer and more spacious lodging I would definitely look elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for you candid review. We appreciate you taking the time to write about us. Hope to see you again.
Olathe, K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I've stayed the The Kahler Grand at least a dozen times since early 2011. My first trip was in February and I wanted to stay close to the Mayo buildings. The choice came down to a hotel that was different or a hotel that you can find anywhere else. I'm so glad that I chose Kahler. The hotel is older but very well maintained and very nicely updated in all the right ways. They've kept the character of the hotel while adding all the amenities that are needed.

The staff is some of the most caring and thoughtful you can find. I often come down to the lobby in the mornings just to watch the bell staff help people. I've witnessed the bellman walk an elderly couple down to the subway level to get them headed in the right direction. When I travel to other cities I often wish there was a Kahler Grand there, but then it would be no different than all the other chain hotels.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for the great comment. I will be sure to share this with the entire staff.
BLOOMINGTON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

An older hotel but very well maintained with a helpful staff and easy subway/skyway access to all of downtown Rochester. I'd give 41/2 overall rating. The Grand Grill has good food but a little pricey.

Room Tip: Newer section rooms are larger and a little more modern (but a little more expensive)
Thank you for the your comments about our Grand Hotel
Grand Forks, North Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Our room had the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. Luckily the sink was in the main room, because you couldn't turn around because the toilet and shower were so close together. Black mold growing in the bathroom. The water had a horrible bleach smell. It was so bad I needed bottled water to brush my teeth. The heat didn't work until it was 40 degrees or colder outside. They did offer a space heater, and extra blankets.
The location to Mayo Clinic is fantastic, and the staff very prompt and friendly. I can't say anything of that could make up the for how terribly outdated and dirty the room was.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreiciate your honest comments. We are constantly updating and changing as we go. We hope you will try us again in the near future as we have many different room types to choose from. Again, thank you for helping us get better.
south dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

During a recent visit, I forgot my Kindle charger and was looking at a long day of waiting around for medical tests without anything to read. I asked front desk personnel if perhaps someone had forgotten a charger in a room that I could use. No luck. However, one of the front desk people offered to charge it from a computer, and in just a couple of hours I had a completely charged Kindle! Thank you for great service.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Glad we could help charge your Kindle. Thanks for staying at the Kahler Grand.