“Welcome Back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 56 Hotels in Rochester
Madison, Wisconsin
“Welcome Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Super place to stay for a Mayo Clinic visit - we have tried others & found none as good for us as the Kahler Grand. The first time I stayed was 1954 & there have been many updates and improvements. Staff appears very helpful & hotel near many other downtown shops & good eating places.

Room Tip: They seem to respect your request for room type & location & many are handicap accessible
    • 4 of 5 stars
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
We hope it was a GRAND welcome back for you. Thanks for the kind review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Turkish first
Woodbury, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The good. If you are going to Mayo, this location cannot be beat. It is right across the street and connected by subway to the clinic.

First off, the ramp was apparently built when people drove model T's because trying to park anything bigger is a real challenge. So much so that if I ever got this hotel again on Priceline, I would park somewhere else.

The front desk staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. The hotel is huge and you can have long walks to the nearest elevator.

Since this is and old hotel and people seemingly did not need much room in the old days the rooms are very small and no two are alike. The rooms we had were clean, but dated.

If location to Mayo is important to you, this place is just fine. However if you like newer and more spacious lodging I would definitely look elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for you candid review. We appreciate you taking the time to write about us. Hope to see you again.
Olathe, K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I've stayed the The Kahler Grand at least a dozen times since early 2011. My first trip was in February and I wanted to stay close to the Mayo buildings. The choice came down to a hotel that was different or a hotel that you can find anywhere else. I'm so glad that I chose Kahler. The hotel is older but very well maintained and very nicely updated in all the right ways. They've kept the character of the hotel while adding all the amenities that are needed.

The staff is some of the most caring and thoughtful you can find. I often come down to the lobby in the mornings just to watch the bell staff help people. I've witnessed the bellman walk an elderly couple down to the subway level to get them headed in the right direction. When I travel to other cities I often wish there was a Kahler Grand there, but then it would be no different than all the other chain hotels.

• 5 of 5 stars
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for the great comment. I will be sure to share this with the entire staff.
BLOOMINGTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

An older hotel but very well maintained with a helpful staff and easy subway/skyway access to all of downtown Rochester. I'd give 41/2 overall rating. The Grand Grill has good food but a little pricey.

Room Tip: Newer section rooms are larger and a little more modern (but a little more expensive)
Thank you for the your comments about our Grand Hotel
Grand Forks, North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Our room had the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. Luckily the sink was in the main room, because you couldn't turn around because the toilet and shower were so close together. Black mold growing in the bathroom. The water had a horrible bleach smell. It was so bad I needed bottled water to brush my teeth. The heat didn't work until it was 40 degrees or colder outside. They did offer a space heater, and extra blankets.
The location to Mayo Clinic is fantastic, and the staff very prompt and friendly. I can't say anything of that could make up the for how terribly outdated and dirty the room was.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
We appreiciate your honest comments. We are constantly updating and changing as we go. We hope you will try us again in the near future as we have many different room types to choose from. Again, thank you for helping us get better.
south dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

During a recent visit, I forgot my Kindle charger and was looking at a long day of waiting around for medical tests without anything to read. I asked front desk personnel if perhaps someone had forgotten a charger in a room that I could use. No luck. However, one of the front desk people offered to charge it from a computer, and in just a couple of hours I had a completely charged Kindle! Thank you for great service.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Glad we could help charge your Kindle. Thanks for staying at the Kahler Grand.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Two nights spent in a very small and very dated room with rattling heater, hard bed, and tepid rather than hot water have me wondering if my fellow reviewers stayed in the same hotel they raved about! Yes, the rate was very good, the staff friendly, and the location the best. However, on business the measure is comfort, functionality, and quiet of the room--and all three were substandard. Spend a few dollars more to lodge elsewhere until this hotel again lives up to its name.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
We can only try to meet up to everyone's expectations. Please do know that we are always trying to improve and become the hotel that will only get better and better. I hope you will check back and see the improvements the next time you are in town. Thank you for helping us.