“Horrendous Experience at Kahler Grand Hotel”
Review of Kahler Grand Hotel

Kahler Grand Hotel
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Elmwood Park, Illinois
“Horrendous Experience at Kahler Grand Hotel”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at the Kahler because of it being attached to the Mayo Clinic, fortunately I only had made reservations for one night and stayed two more nights down the street for less money in a clean hotel. I stayed in room 847 which at first was actually impressive looking, that is till it was time to get to sleep.
The mattress has to be the original one form when the hotel was built, the springs were so bad that you literally rolled off the bed. I started sneezing like crazy during the night and while looking around to see what the issue was I realized that the room had not been dusted in probably a month. The ceiling was full of spiderwebs, the headboard was full of dust as well as the wall paneling.
While looking for a rating card to fill out I also noticed that the desk was full of dust as well, enough for me to write dust me with my finger. By the way there are no cards for rating the room, no surprise there.
In the morning I went to take a shower and prior to the water reaching the proper temperature the tub was filling up with water as it was clogged, the diverter on the spout was also not functioning so the shower had a trickle of water coming out of it. by time I finished showering the water was up to my ankles.
The staff at the hotel is not at all friendly nor helpful, I had called the Hotel from literally a block away on 2nd and 4th, asking for directions and I was told to drive to a gasoline station to get directions, I figured out that 2nd picked up again around the other side of Mayo.. In the morning I complained about the room to the manager and she didn't even apologize nor offer a discounted rate. Actually a full refund should have been given and was it not that I had appointments to keep I would have stayed and argued the point.
Lastly dont expect to get anywhere by going on line and contacting the Hotel as they wont take the time to acknowledge your complaint, it's just like being there in person.
Many better hotels to stay at for far less money with friendly staff and clean functional rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Raymond L, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear of the many problems you experienced and am extremely upset to find out there may be a problem with our internet service response system. This will be looked into immediately and am sorry for the delays as I look for all opportunities to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

Thank you again and I will be reaching out to you personally.

Best Regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed here 4 nights while visiting the Mayo Clinic. The location is convenient for patients: across the street from Gonda and connected to the Mayo buildings via indoor walkways. While it is also connected to other downtown buildings, things tend to close VERY early in Rochester and as a 20-something I didn't find much to do outside the Clinic.

Since I was alone and had little luggage, I booked one of the cheaper "efficiency" rooms. It was small, but as a solo traveler I didn't feel cramped at all. The room itself seemed to have been recently updated, which definitely could not be said for the bathroom. Still, everything was clean, and I appreciated the free wifi and decent business center.

I did run into some issues. The food at the hotel restaurant was abysmal. I felt like I could hear every single thing going on in the hallway outside my room (voices, doors slamming, etc). The first night I was there, the room was so cold that I couldn't even sleep. I called the front desk around 1:00 am (took a few tries before someone answered) and ~15 minutes later received extra blankets. I needed 3 of them to be able to fall asleep.

I was fine with the overall experience given the price, but I would have been unhappy if I had paid for a standard room instead of an efficiency. I will look into alternatives when I return to Mayo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Raymond L, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback and want you to know we are listening. While the Kahler is obviously a historic hotel, our guest rooms have been updated with new furnishings. I am sorry you experienced some chill in your room and had the long response time from my staff. I will be discussing this with them as we utilize this feedback in service training with my staff. I hope you choose us again in the future if you return to Rochester. Thank you!
Minneapolis
Reviewed March 24, 2013

As long as you know you are paying for the location near Mayo you will satisfied with your experience. If you expect anything more than proximity to Mayo prepare to be disappointed.

My wife and I stayed at the Kahler Grand for one night - March 23, 2013. My wife won a free night at the hotel so we figured we would make the hour trip from Minneapolis and explore Rochester. We had an excellent time downtown. We ate delicious food and had drinks at a couple of places near the hotel.

But ... the hotel experience was terrible. I believe this building was a hospital at some time in the past. Our room was quite large but it only had 1 tiny window. Our room was an Executive King room. Room 270.

Everything is dated. Renovations are desperately needed. The lobby looks new and fresh but that look does not extend outside of the lobby. The on-site restaurant and bar screamed of vanilla bland suburban hotel amenities. Nothing to be had there.

As I stated, we stayed only one night. We attempted to go to bed early and sleep in. This was thwarted by a bed that was firmer than the floor and pillows that were lumpier than mashed potatoes. The front desk stated we had the newest beds but they would send up feather beds to add to our beds. Those helped. No new pillows made the trip up though. Since it was late we called it a night and tried to get some sleep. However, the room was incredibly hot and no matter what we did with the thermostat the temperature would not change. We ran the air conditioning from 2am until 9am and it was still unbearably warm in our room in the morning.

As we prepared to depart my wife was blow drying her hair and the power in our room went out. We called the front desk 3 times and no one answered. After the issues with the bed and thermostat we figured it was no longer bad luck but the hotel. We went downstairs to return our keys and inform them we were leaving. We told them about the power and said we called but the front desk did not acknowledge that they were busy and just said it was odd that the power went out. After an awkward silence they thanked us for our stay.

I can 100% guarantee it will be the our last stay at that hotel! If the night had not been free I would not have left without a nearly-full refund. It was that bad.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! I've stayed at the Kahler Inn and Suites and it's much better and presu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmb861
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I was certainly disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not up to standards with regards to the bedding, temperature and electrical failure. I will be investigating all of your concerns and would be more than happy to personally discuss in hopes to earn your business back.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback and I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you.
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

When I was staying down at the Kahler Grand for my time at The Mayo, I was amazed by their customer service and comfort. From the flat-screen TV, ( while I was there I caught glimpses of most of the hotel rooms, and none of them had flat screens, which I know my family enjoyed) to the pool/workout room, everything was amazing. It was also right across the street from Mayo, and connected with a skyway. I loved the old-fashioned feeling as well and remember from an old school project that the Kahler was originally built by John Kahler and used as a building full of operating rooms for the Mayo.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for the nice comments on your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate all feedback. I am glad that my staff was there to help you and we look forward to being of service again in the future. Thank you!
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is very outdated and dirty. It is across the street from Mayo clinic so very convenient but there are several other hotels that adjacent to it. I have stayed at the Double Tree which was nice and just as convenient. My room at Kahler had stains on the carpet and ceiling. The bathroom was very old and dark. Overall it was quite unpleasant. As others have already mentioned, the staff was indifferent and seemed a bit annoyed. I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Black Lab Nickie
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay. We certainly appreciate all comments and do utilize that feedback with our service team as a training exercise to continually improve our service for our guests. As we are an older hotel we have done some upgrading to the guest rooms and lobby/pool area. Guest service is our number one importance and always look for improvement. I hope you choose us again in the future if you return to Rochester. Thank you!
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We spent two days this weekend at the Kahler and were shocked by how much it had declined in the 14 years since our last visit. While the majority of people at Mayo and Rochester in general went out of their way to be friendly and helpful, the staff at the Kahler ranged from disinterested to outright rude. The rooms were small, the plumbing bad and their electic/electronics needs to be brought up to the standards of the 1990's. On the upside, the location is perfect for The Mayo Clinic and the pool was nice.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback and want you to know we are listening. While the Kahler is obviously a historic hotel, our guest rooms have been updated with new furnishings, the hotel lobby renovated along with our pool/exercise area. I am sorry that your stay with us was not a pleasant experience. We hope that you will try us once again and your stay will be a pleasant one. Thank you!
Virginia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed here due to appointments at the Mayo clinic. This hotel has a "vintage feel" and I really loved that about it.. The rooms were updated. I will say the room we were in was really nice except the bathroom was tiny and not,updated. It was a little confusing finding the pool area but once you do it is beautiful. The pool is at the very top of the building inside a domed glass roof so the view is amazing! The work out area was nice as well. There are some unique stores on the main level and since the Grand is linked to the "subway" it makes accessing Mayo so easy. I would stay here again but still prefer the Kahler inn & suites.

Room Tip: Ask if the bathrooms have been updated. I am not sure if they were in the process of doing it or not...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regards to your stay at our hotel in Rochester. We appreciate any and all feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and my staff and I look forward to having you join us again in the future. Thank you!