“Great Value in Rochester”

DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Lakeville, MN
“Great Value in Rochester”
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Short but sweet...if you appreciate a freshly remodeled property with comfortable beds and a crisp feel, you'll be very happy. Great daily breakfast buffet, beautiful pool and exercise room, nice towels...overall a great upgrade for the Rochester hotel options. The price/value is perfectly reasonable versus other local options. Book it. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank pmsmith66
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Dear pmsmith66 ~
Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. I am very glad to hear that we met your expectations during your stay. We would love to have you stay with us again during your next visit to Rochester.

Deb Knox ~ Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times when it was a Radisson, but this was the first stay after the hotel was re-branded a Doubletree. Rooms have been freshly renovated, and the addition of a fridge and microwave in each room is a big plus. The odd-numbered rooms face the main street, and you can definitely hear the traffic at night, even on an upper floor. Parking is in an adjacent ramp, but much too expensive for Rochester ($12.day). Hotel staff was overall excellent, with the notable exception of the Pescara restaurant. We tried ordering room service at 9PM on a Saturday - it took a while for them to pick up the phone, and then they put me on hold never to be heard from again. I went down to the restaurant to try and order some food, and again was pretty much ignored and given the excuse "Sorry, but we're really busy this evening".

• Stayed February 2011
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Dear shimi002 ~ Thank you very much for posting your comments to our sight. We appreciate the feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the $11 million dollars in revoations that we put into the hotel last year. I am sorry to hear that your experience in Pescara was not as pleasant. I want to let you know that I have hear your comments and already sent them over to the General Manager of Pescara. If you would like to send them an email directly or discuss anything further with them, I welcome you to contact Nicci at nicci@pescarafresh.com
I do hope that when you return to Rochester, you will think of the Doubletree again. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to help with your next stay in Rochester at deb.knox@hilton.com

Gleneden Beach, Oregon
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I stayed at the Rochester, MN Doubletree Hotel in early February 2011 while visiting the Mayo Clinic. I have been to Rochester a number of times in recent years, sampling the services and amenities of several of the prominent hotels connected by skyways and subways to the Mayo Clinic. My stay at the Doubletree--remodeled and reorganized in recent years--wins hands down for comfort and amenities. The staff at all levels were consistently helpful. My room on an executive floor had sufficient space for restful sleep and a separate sitting area. An excellent breakfast with plenty of choices was laid out each morning in the executive lounge, and there were opportunities to nibble and drink during the day and evening. The computer and software in the lounge made it easy to follow weather and airport activities, and check in for flights.

The Pescara Restaurant in the Doubletree is a real draw. The menu is excellent, and I can personally vouch for the arctic char with a perfect sauce beurre blanc, the rich lobster bisque, and the tender and tasty filet. The wine list is first-rate and obviously chosen by somebody with a sophisticated palate.

Needless to say, I highly recommend the Doubletree.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Profmd: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your kind remarks about our hotel. I am glad that we were able to provide the comfort items that you look for in a hotel. I will pass along your praise for Pescara. They have won many awards in the Rochester area.
Thank you again and I hope that we will continue to be your hotel of choice when returning to the Rochester area.
United States
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This hotel is in downtown Rochester and is connected to the walkways between the buildings. This really helps during this cold winter.

This hotel has just been renovated. Everything is new. The fourth floor was so new the “new odor” was strong. My room only had a shower. With only a shower you expect to have a hand held or rain shower, something they should have done here.

The wireless internet at the hotel worked fine, but was slow. Despite the fact that I liked almost everything at this hotel, due to the slow internet I won’t be returning to the hotel.

This time I had a team staying at the hotel. There isnt room to room dialing instructions on the phone. You have to dial differently depending on the floor you are trying to reach. The ethernet connection on the phone doesn’t work.

The health club is large and well equipped. The pool is adjacent and nice. These are both in the basement.

A typical Hilton executive lounge is on the 11th floor and had a great staff.

I had several meals at the hotel and they were all good.

Parking is close by with in/out privileges; just make sure you use the ticket the hotel issues you every time.

There is a starbucks on the 2nd level. It opens late and closes early. It’s the only Starbucks that I have seen that is closed on Sundays.

What I liked:
Recently renovated and everything is new
Location
TV channel listing on a card

What I didn’t like:
Internet speed
Desk chair
Always people hanging around the desk talking to the staff

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear intheairagain ~ Thank you first for taking the time to post your comments on our page. We do appreicate any feedback that our customers give us on items that we are doing well and on items that need improvement. Our hotel did go through an $11 million dollar renovation last year. When doing this we did survey our guests about our bathrooms, so we have 50% shower only and 50% bathtubs. I wanted to let you know that I just returned from the DOS conference for Doubletree and on the top of the list, improved speed for our internet company wide. We do hear you on this issue and hope to have it to appropriate levels soon.
Again, thank you for your comments and they will be passed along to our management team. If you would like to discuss anything further, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com

panzano-in-chianti
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I have had more than a few opportunities to visit this hotel in the past year and a half that my husband has been a patient at the mayo clinic, and I've also recommended it to friends and family -- and have only the highest praise for the hotel and staff......first of all, it is the only hotel in town with a sleek, clean, ultra modern decor (everywhere else, including the marriott and the kahler's international has dusty old carpet and drapes and that old mildew smell ) ...in addition, the Doubletree's guest rooms are exceptionally bright and well maintained + top of the linebeds.... and if that isnt enough it is home to the best restaurant in town (Pescara), has its own Starbucks and skyway access to the Gallerie Mall and the Clinic, meaning you are steps away from the most sophisticated shopping in town + Barnes & Noble ......in short, I usually choose ahotels by their rates, reasoning the best is always the most expensive, but in this case, and I've tried them all, the Doubletree is the best in town

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank shelleydipanzano
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear shelleydipanzano ~ Thank you very much for your kind words about our Doubletree in Rochester, MN. Our local owner and all of our staff take much pride in the cleanliness and upkeep of our hotel. We are always striving to be the best hotel in Rochester. I will also make sure to pass along your positive comments to Pescara. They have won many awards in Rochester and we also feel that they are the best restaurant. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you when you return.
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed December 24, 2010

My experience at the Doubletree in Rochester MN was miserable. I chose the hotel to stay with my parents while being seen at the Mayo Clinic. After a disagreement with a hotel staff member over items they threw away after we moved from one room to another, I was irritated but I thought that was the end of it. About 20 minutes later, I got an email notification from Hilton that the email address on my HHonors account had changed. When I signed in, I saw that my email had been changed to a fake email address, so it was obviously done by a staff member (presumably the same person who had been rude to use before, a man named Nick). That night, I got two wake up calls in the middle of the night, the second of which was at 3 AM. I never request wake up calls, and since the caller was so professional, I assumed that I had been set up for wake up calls just to irritate me. When I called the front desk to ask that no more wake up calls be made to my room, I was told that the calls didn't come from the front desk, but from another room within the hotel that he was not able to trace.

At a reasonable hour in the morning, I called the manager, Mike Smith, to complain about the situation. He had the gall to deny that any wake up calls were ever made to my room and told me that I was "blowing it way out of proportion." In fact, instead of offering to look into the situation or offering any remedy, he suggested that we leave and stay at another hotel, even though the Doubletree only had about 35 rooms occupied and was mostly empty. That of course, we did immediately.

In summary, there is at least one vengeful jerk currently working at this hotel. If you run into any problems, don't expect any help or consolation from the general manager. Would you really want to pay to be treated this way? Definitely don't consider staying at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010
4 Thank akubesch
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Dear akubesch ~ Thank you very much for your posting and constructive criticism. I understand that our management team was aware of your concerns. We were unable to reach a mutual agreement for these concerns due to some hotel policies and also that your issues were not resolved as quickly as you hoped due to the holiday. I am sorry that the situations were not resolved to your satisfaction. I am glad to hear that you were able to find accommodations at another hotel in Rochester. I think this course of action was a good fit for both our hotel and for your stay. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the Rochester area. Again, I am sorry that our hotel was not the best fit for your stay in Rochester. Thank you again for your feedback.
Wisconsin
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I just stated that this hotel rates number one for me in my travels around the world....and it does.
Is it the fanciest hotel with the most "out of this world" amenities? Nope.
Here's what it has...(and this is worth more than anything else when you are traveling)...
It has a staff, from management to housekeeping that are friendly, informed, know their guests by name and go BEYOND THAT EXTRA MILE to make sure every guest is satisfied.
I've stayed at this hotel three times already while visiting the Mayo Clinic as a patient and will be staying there again. (Have stayed at other hotels close to Mayo, most of which are VERY disappointing by the way).

Why would you want to stay at the Doubletree?

1. Clean, comfortable rooms with a choice of pillows and a great mattress, soft sheets and wonderful room temperature control that make for a great nights sleep.
2. Nice amenities such as a flat screen tv, wireless internet (FREE) in your room that won't slow you down as many hotel networks will do. Also the expected bath products and robes on the higher floors and a choice of paying a bit extra for included breakfast and evening snacks (with meals and snacks that are worth eating, varied menus, well done)!
There is also an in room refrigerator and microwave that often comes in handy!
3. Great location just two blocks from the main Mayo Clinic buildings, indoor walkways to get to Mayo if you don't want to go out in the cold MN weather and also a very nice car available to take you anywhere nearby you should need to go.

Of course these are all things that I EXPECT from the hotels I stay at (though you'd be surprised how often you don't get even the above list). So why is this hotel rated tops for me?

1. During a very very cold spell while traveling with my service dog the hotel staff took him out regularly for me and I could tell he adored them so they weren't just "dragging him outside"!
2. When the inevitable noise issue arose during one stay, manager Brendan was on top of it immediately and made sure to personally apologize to any and all guests who may have been inconvenienced.
3. Have a problem with anything in your room? One phone call and it's taken care of quickly and to your complete satisfaction.
4. Excellent room service with special requests not a problem (they seem to understand that their proximity to Mayo Clinic means special dietary requirements might be common)
5. I had a severe headache one night and needed a bit of help with some medication...my husband was in disbelief that the hotel had someone help me immediately, no charge!

These employees will know your name, they'll treat you well, they'll make it a little less difficult to be away from home and THAT is truly a rarity in the hotel industry, especially for a non luxury big city boutique hotel.

If you're visiting Mayo Clinic, or just visiting Rochester your best bet is to stay at the Doubletree and say hello to Brendan (hotel manager) who'll make sure you have everything you need.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank summitny
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Dear Summitny ~ Thank you very much for your kind comments about the Doubletree in Rochester, MN. We pride ourselves on being ranked number 4 out of all Doubletrees in Customer Service and are reaching high to get to the number one spot. This will come from giving our guests the best customer service possible. I am glad that you got to experience this and we look forward to your return!
Thank you again for your kind remarks.