“Can't believe it's rated so highly (#5 of 58). Conrad must be turning in his grave!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The cleaning lady woke us at 8 or 8:30 every morning, pounding on our door. Yes, we had a “do not disturb” sign. No, we didn’t use it because ours was the very last room at the end of the hall. Although we tried to use the sign, the wind from the AC would blow the sign off of the door handle and down the hallway. Speaking of house keeping:
The shower stall has mold growing all around the bottom of it. I see that a guest mentioned the shower stall mold in a prior review, yet the problem persists. If I were the manager, I would have had every room inspected for mold after reading the first mold complaint. Our housekeeper (who is very sweet) is from the Sudan; therefore, she might not recognize mold as a problem, but her All-American supervisor certainly should.
When we checked in, we noticed a packet of Starbucks coffee had fallen between the dresser and the coffee stand. It was still there when we checked out one full week later. During our stay, I dropped a napkin between the same two pieces of furniture. It too was there when we checked out three days later.
Complaints with the room itself include:
The room was very dimly lit.
There were an insufficient number of accessible outlets for two cell phone chargers, a camera and an e-reader. As an example, to utilize the outlets on the lamp next to the bed, we had to elevate the lamp by putting it on a book.
There is a large stain on the ceiling above the bed. (Again, it would appear that no one in management inspects the rooms.)
The hotel does not offer video-on-demand or pay-per-view.
The remote control to the TV was “difficult.”
The room did not include a lighted magnified make-up mirror.
The toilet paper was so rough that in less than 48 hours after arrival, my husband and I were both experiencing the minimal bleeding associated with … well, you know.
The bathroom configuration was uncomfortable, having to close the door completely to shower. There isn’t an exhaust vent, so we would have preferred to leave the door open.
The bathroom door collides with the toilet.
The shower door opens into the shower.
Every time one uses the bathroom sink, the counter gets very wet. We kept a couple of washcloths or a hand towel around the sink fixtures during our entire stay in order to limit the spread of the water.
In my opinion, and my husband’s, this was not a $239/night room. We frequently spend way more than $239/night, and do not mind doing so -- when we get value for our dollar. In this case, we feel as if we WAY overpaid for our accommodations.
Complaints about the hotel itself include:
The Executive Lounge has very limited hours during which it is staffed and food is served: breakfast, then two hours for drinks and appetizers, then one hour for cookies and milk. When the Executive Lounge is not staffed, I expected to be able to help myself to coffee, hot tea, bottled water and soft drinks. Such is not the case: no coffee, tea, bottled water or soft drinks. Even when the Lounge is staffed and serving: the soft drinks are warm! I have no idea why they are not refrigerated. I went upstairs for cookies and coffee one evening, only to find lukewarm coffee.
The website says “Our hotel is connected to the world renowned Mayo Clinic by skywalk.” Not knowing the city, I interpreted this to mean that the hotel is just across the street from the Clinic. In fact, the hotel is NOT across the street from the Mayo Clinic; it is two+ blocks away. Yes, there is a skywalk from the hotel to the University Shops; from the University Shops you can get to the Clinic quickly. But the hotel is not connected by skywalk directly to the Mayo Clinic, as the website implies.
The hotel does have a Town Car to which we availed ourselves a few times. The doorman and valet drive guests anywhere within a 3-mile radius. However, it is available on a first-come, first-served basis; guests cannot make reservations. Actually, as a guest, you can make a reservation but it has no meaning if another guest arrives at the Town Car requesting a ride before you show up. In other words, two Mayo patients and their stressed and worried loved ones would have to compete for use of the Town Car. Hardly an ideal situation, especially given the circumstances.
On Tuesday afternoon, I was told to report to St. Mary’s Hospital at 11:00 A.M. the next morning for surgery. St. Mary’s is 1.5 miles from the hotel, too far for us to walk. I called the Front Desk Tuesday evening to schedule the Town Car for 10:30 Wednesday morning. It was then that I was told that they do not take reservations; just show up and, unless another guest is using the Town Car, we would be able to use it. Thinking that it is important to not be late to surgery, especially 1000 miles from home, I asked for some guidance. Mohammad caustically told me that “For about four bucks, you could take a cab.” (I can’t help but wonder if Conrad is turning over in his grave.) Of course I could take a cab. I used a cab several times during my week-long stay. And the cost was minimal: from $4 to $6 + tip. The cost wasn’t the point. The point was that I wanted to know with absolute certainty that I would be delivered to the hospital at the scheduled time.
One of the reviews I read before choosing the Double Tree claimed that the staff are sensitive to the fact that most of their hotel guests are also patients (or loved ones of patients) of the Mayo Clinic. I did not experience that sensitivity with anyone at the Front Desk during my entire week-long stay.
Other complaints about the hotel staff:
The Front Desk is staffed by 20-somethings, one of whom badly needs a decent haircut. Happy Hour in the Executive Lounge doesn’t start until 5:30. We arrived from the airport about 4:00, and wanted a drink. The young man at the Front Desk didn’t know where to direct me for a libation even though, once we began walking, we found bars everywhere.
Hotel management needs to do a better job of vetting job applicants, training successful candidates, and providing a presence. We repeatedly found that the employees do not know what it is appropriate conversation between staff and guest and what is not. The young man in the Executive Lounge during cocktail hour was far from friendly and made no effort to be helpful.
Kelsey in the Executive Lounge during breakfast tries very hard to be helpful. She is sweet and considerate and goes the extra mile for guests who are also patients. She does, however, need to learn to use her “inside voice.”
I do have a few good things to say about our experience:
The location is very convenient to the Mayo Clinic Complex (but not to St. Mary’s Hospital) and to many restaurants, pubs, bars, and shops.
The breakfast in the Executive Lounge is more than adequate.
When we reported a problem with the toilet, the maintenance man (an adult) arrived quickly and he resolved the problem effectively.
When we asked for two foam pillows, they were delivered before we returned to our room that afternoon.
The equipment (three computers and a printer) in the “business center” on the first floor worked well. On the other hand, the computer on the Executive Level was slower than molasses in winter – even after I deleted browsing history and cookies in an attempt to increase its speed.
The hotel room includes two luggage racks, a microwave, a refrigerator and an in-room safe, as well as two terrycloth robes. They provide turn-down service.
We were given fresh warm chocolate chip cookies upon check-in. It would have been nice if those were the same cookies that are served in the Executive Lounge from 9-10PM, but those are store-bought, cold and hard.
In summary, my husband and I were both disappointed with the Double Tree in Rochester, MN and cannot recommend the hotel. Because of this experience (only our second at a Double Tree), we’ll probably not stay in a Double Tree again. As to our room, Room 1002 is not worth $239/night.

Room Tip: Being at the very end, Room 1002 is the first to get cleaned each morning. The Do Not Disturb sign...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KSSeaB
DebKnox, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear KBVegasNevada: Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it assists us on improving our service and quality. I have passed along your post to all of our department heads. I am hoping to get an opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay and do hope to hear from you soon. I am sorry for the experience you had and ask that you please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com if you would like to discuss further.
Deb Knox

Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Extremely Poor Customer Service No attention to detail in the room's Staff not attentive to customers concerns Parking not convient Good location with easy access to Mayo Clinic Multiple calls required to get anyone to respond to issues in the hotel

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Lee M

Dear Lee M: Thank you for staying with us. I want to apologize for your stay. I am glad that you and your wife were able to email and discuss your concerns with Stephanie and myself. As I stated in my email, we have shared your concerns with our Front Desk Manager, Bell Captain and our General Manager so that they can use this information. Again, I apologize for your stay.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

The hotel was pretty, clean and met with friendly staff. The beds were comfortable and linens high quality. The food was terrible and the cocktails are very expensive compared to restaurants just down the street.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DebKnox, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Kimberly A: Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to post your comments. We are very glad that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. We are sorry that your experience in Pescara was not as good. We do hope that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The DoubleTree by Hilton truly was everything we wanted. Our stay was in conduction with a convention at the Mayo Civic Center and this hotel was by far the most convenient. It is connected via a skyway to the Civic Center, as well as to two parking ramps. I must also mention the food -- we experienced both room service and the morning breakfast buffet in the restaurant. Both were excellent!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DebKnox, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Linda B: Thank you very much for staying with us during your convention and for taking the time to post your comments. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Great location near the convention center with skyway access. The only issue that my friends and I ran into was a difficulty accessing the building. Overall access to the hotel late at night was difficult in part due to the construction. It would be great to have access from the skyway with a key card access.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Heidi T: Thank you very much for staying with us and for your comments. Yes, the construction does block our normal valet area, so we are routing guests to the south enterance. We also have to close the skyway doors at midnight for security reasons. We do hope that you enjoyed your time with us and that you will visit us again.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Staff was helpful and nice, but room had dried food in multiple spots on the floor - not a spill, but like rice and food that had been left and never vaccuumed. There was also broken bits of beer bottles around the room in the carpet. The bathroom also had black mold in the shower in places it could have - and should have - been cleaned. Clearly housekeeping is not the highest priority.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DebKnox, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Todd C: Thank you for staying with us while in Rochester. I am very sorry that your room was in this condition. Housekeeping is definitely a high priority for us so I have emailed your post to our Executive Housekeeper. I am hoping you can send me an email at deb.knox@hilton.com and let me know the dates of your stay so that I can look up your room number. This will help us get to the bottom of this. Again, I apologize.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Your help could be more organized. I ordered 1 more gallon of coffee at the front desk for a gift opening. went upstairs and an employee came over after about 10 minutes and asked what we wanted. We had a shuttle lined up to pick up guests at 11:30pm. A little past 11:30 I called to find out where the shuttle was, I was told the last shuttle was at 11:00. Then they read our wedding schedule and agreed that they would send one over to the Stone barn. We waited their while the rest of the wedding party was at a different location. We reserved many rooms at your hotel because of the services available. It would have been nice if the service was what we expected

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Pam P
DebKnox, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Pam P: Thank you for having your wedding guests stay with us and your gift opening. I want to apologize that the service wasn't up to standards. I have emailed your post to our banquet manager about the gift opening coffee. I also emailed our sales team and general manager about the shuttle service. We do use a third party for the shuttle, so I will see that they receive your post as well. Again, I apologize that the service was not up to our team's or your standards. We appreciate your business.