“Simply Amazing”

DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Hotel is located perfectly. Staff is amazing! Rooms are beautiful!! You can park with the hotel for $13 in ramp or $15 valet. I found some street parking on the weekend which was free. The cookie is a nice perk. But, with gorgeous rooms, a great view, and convenient location, this is WORTH EVERY PENNY! :-)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Guest: Thank you very much for your post. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you find our hotel to be of great value. Thank you again for staying with us!
Deb Knox

Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The good: The hotel is located in the center of the downtown area, and connected to the skyway system. The hotel lobby was clean and nice. Check-in was fast and easy. The rooms are nicely furnished. The bed was pretty comfortable.

The bad: Our room was not very clean. A previous guest had smoked in the room, and the odor remained. All rooms are supposed to be non-smoking. The bath towels had stains, and a few hairs mixed in. Pretty gross. The heating/cooling system was quite loud - enough to wake me throughout the night. Given the past reviews, perhaps these issues were an aberration.

Other notes: Parking is $13/day. We had a special room rate of $130/night. In Rochester? In early-April?! Seems a bit high. No breakfast included.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear MissedMuskie: Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for staying with us while you were in Rochester. I wanted to let you know that I have emailed your comments to our Front Desk Manager, Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer so that they may look into your post information with more detail. I will also send you a message and if you could email me back at deb.knox@hilton.com to let me know which guestroom you stayed in, it will help us. Thank you again for letting us know and if there is anything else that I can do, please email me.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great welcome and friendly staff to begin out stay. The room was clean but the AC/Heat unit was noisy and kept us up through parts of the night. The temperature fluctuated at times uncomfortable. The bathroom was updated beautifully. The rest of the room could use some updates, but the bed was comfortable. Had in room breakfast service and it was very nice. Check out was easy but I felt the complaint of the noisy AC/Heating unit with uncomfortable temps may have fell on deaf ears. The staff in general is friendly and helpful otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear TimW: Thank you for your post. I am glad, that in general, you enjoyed your stay with us. In reference to the AC/heating unit, I have sent your post to our Chief Engineer, our Front Desk Manager and our General Manager so that they may dig into this issue further. We do hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Rochester, MN. If you would like to send me further information about your stay, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com and I will make sure that it get's to the proper team members.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Quite a modern hotel. We stayed on the 10th floor had a lovely suite. I agree with comments about Steve the hell head Bellmen could not have been more helpful. Great restaurant would be useful if you had some films available on the TV and i would stay there again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear CorkyDerbyshire: Thank you for your post about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your Suite on the 10th floor and what a wonderful compliment to be known in your eyes as the Best Hotel you have stayed at in Rochester! If there is anything we can help with prior to your next return to Rochester, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The DoubleTree in Rochester surprised me on my stay. This property is right downtown, about two short blocks from Mayo. The lobby is modern and sleek, and the service at the front desk is excellent. The rooms are fresh, clean and spacious. I like that my bathroom had a shower stall vs. a bathtub. I wish more hotels would follow suit. My room also had a microwave, small refrigerator and safe. Also, electrical outlets at each nightstand! Why can't all hotels get this right?
Pescara restaurant in the lobby is fantastic. I have eaten at Pescara on two occasions and never have been disappointed. For Hilton Gold/Diamond members, the DoubleTree has a very nice executive lounge on the 11th (top) floor. I had breakfast there and it was very nice with fresh fruits, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, juices and more. Great view as well.
If you have read any of my other reviews, you will know that as a Seattleite I need Starbucks in the morning. The DoubleTree is connected to nearby buildings by a skybridge system. On floor two, Starbucks sits right where the skybridge connects to the hotel. Hours here are somewhat limited however. If you seek a nicer Starbucks, walk a couple of blocks to the Kahler Hotel and they have a wonderful Starbucks in the lobby.
I used valet parking on my stay for an additional $16.00 per day. Self park is available but I do not know the rate. The skybridge connects to a small shopping center across the street that has some more restaurants, a very poular candystore and gelato shop, as well as clothing shops.
I will definitely book the Rochester DoubeTree on future visits to town.

Room Tip: Neither side has a great view if you are on a lower floor. High rooms on the Mayo Clinic side (west...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear EscapingSeattle: Thank you for your post and for giving the DoubleTree a try while you were in Rochester as I noticed that you have stayed at other Hilton hotels in our town. I am glad that you enjoyed Pescara and your guestroom with us. To let you know the self parking is $13.00 per night, so a little less that the valet. If there is anything else that we can help you with, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com. Otherwise, we do hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Rochester.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice while visiting for Mayo appointments and thoroughly enjoyed both stays. The lobby is beautiful and the staff are helpful. The head bellman is a gentleman named Steve, who was always more than willing to use their towne car to zip me over to Mayo or anywhere else that I needed to go. He even went to our valet-parked car once to search for a lost cellphone charger. Now THAT'S service!

The rooms are quiet, even the higher floor rooms that face the busy street and Mayo campus. I was in a wheelchair for both of my visits, and found the room with two double beds to be a bit cramped (they offer handicapped accessible rooms, which I did not use because I needed a tub and they had showers). The single king rooms seemed to have the most spacious layout.

The concierge level is worth the expense and there are different ways of staying on that level, whether it be through Hilton credit card offers or paying the extra dollars per night. On one visit we stayed four nights and never once ate out at restaurants! The concierge level dinner buffet was plenty to eat.

The pool is fairly large and is in the lower (basement) level. There is a hot tub there as well. The area was clean and water fine. There are no windows in that area so it's a bit different from a pool experience. Additional towels were provided in the pool area.

My only suggestion is to ask the hotel management to consider adding more rooms with bathtubs, or upgrading the tubs that are in the existing tub rooms. For those of us with mobility issues who need a tub, it would be quite nice to have something deeper and a bit wider. I am 5'7 and only 130 lbs and found the tubs to be quiet small.

My thanks to the Doubletree for these wonderful stays. This will continue to be my go-to hotel when visiting Rochester.

Room Tip: For the quietest rooms, select a high floor facing away from Mayo, and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tsoberdas

Dear tsoberdas: Thank you for your post about our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us on the Executive Level. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of the many amenities that our hotel has to offer. I will make sure to pass along your comments to Steve and our management staff. Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Doubletree over Easter and my goodness! What a beautiful place it is! The staff was extremely friendly (we had about 10 cookies- who can complain?), helpful, resourceful, kind and welcoming. Our room was cozy and comfortable-aside from our air vent switching on and off all night- and definitely worth it. We will be back!
Thank you, Doubletree!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear JulieA2: Thank you very much for spending your Easter Holiday with us at the DoubleTree! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back again when your travels bring you back to Rochester.